1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHICH LEADERS?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by ryanfish, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

HI GUYS,

Spools of fly leader for lockwood which kind do i need so it will be a floating leader,

fluorcarbon
    copolymer
    tippet
    mono

thanks Ryan

2. bucko

bucko Guest

Now then Ryan.

Fluorocarbon sinks so that should save you a few quid.
    A good monofil like Drennan Double Strength suits me and the extra strength is sure to come in handy at some point.

Why do you want the leader to float though? Usually its best to have it sunk so that it doesn't cast a shadow on the water.
    If its to suspend the fly just sub surface there are other ways of doing it such as using a buoyant fly on a dropper or the point of the cast.

3. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

for dry flies and because i thought thats what i needed,
    is drennen double strength tapered

4. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

the drennan double stength what i have just been looking at it is olive green , is that right.

thanks Ryan

5. coasty

coasty New Member

If you want to fish dries I would recomend Rio Powerflex copolymer. If you want to use a tapered leader then attach a final length of Rio to the end of the tapered leader.

Flourocarbon is low diameter and sinks but in my opinion is tricky to knot I dont like it for tippets.
    Copolymer is more knot friendy and is easy to knot to your leader. ( 4 turn water knot is best)

Personally the system I use is as follows (I fish a single dry on 9 to 12 ft leaders on rivers)
    Buy a 9ft tapered mononfil leader with 3lb point. I cut back leader to where the BS is approx 6lb I then water knot a length of 6lb drennan subsurface green (equal to piece cut of and not doublestrength ) To this I water knot a 3ft tippet of in my case 3lb RIO.

I would suggest on reservoirs that the tapered butt section could be a single length of say 15/20lb Drennan. and then use a tippet of suitable BS . As reservoir fishing isnt my cup of tea I am sure others on here will advise you on suitable BS... Hope that helps

6. bucko

bucko Guest

About 6lb should be about the right strength Ryan. A handy tip is to degrease your leader with either bankside mud or washing up liquid to take away the sheen and help it sink. If you having problems with the leader sinking your fly then add floatant such as Gink to your fly or (If its still available) silicon mucilin in the old hourglass jars.

7. coasty

coasty New Member

IMO you should apply floatant to most of the leader to make it float, Mucilin is as good as anything. But the last 1 or 2 feet depending on conditions should be sunk otherwise the fish will see it. Gerks Gink or Mucilin quick sink mixed with washing up liquis is as good as anything.. If you have all of the leader sunk it will tend to drag the dry fly under especially smaller sizes...

8. bucko

bucko Guest

Coasty is spot on with his advice- certainly when it comes to small dry flies.
    My advice was based on the dries I use which on still waters tend to be Deer Hair Daddies, G & H Sedge and other sedge patterns that usually incorporate deer hair and are pretty unsinkable.
    If its size 20 caenis and black gnats you want to fish then go with what Coasty says.

Good luck.

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

With regards to making leaders float, i just rub ny hands along the leader, as theres enough natural oil on your hands to grease it up.