1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which kayak.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well i know the weather has been a bit of a let down for some of yakkers who have the restrictions of work and distance.......i know this time last year my freezer was full of fish and i was ok for dry docking the goodship worm.
    This year though I ve not managed half the number of launches.

However putting the weather aside we now have a load of members with different kayaks and wondered which is coming out as the best kayak and why ?
    What to consider ?.....room,fittings,stability,materials,speed,cost etc etc..........

I thought before that the grp yaks were over priced and that speed wasn't everything...........oh how I ate those words watching quint up on plane paddling out of sight while i zig zagged along off Tunstall !!!

So for me the Dorado is the current "must have"...for speed,stability,storage and also kudos.....lol

Oh did I mention my bike sold tonight so the money is burning a hole in my pocket......lol

Whats your thoughts ?

Cheers Jellyworm

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Having fished with the guys last week I can say that quint was at Long hole whilst we were just getting out of boggle hole last week. His kayak is very fast and that must be an advantage. Obviously I cant speek from expereince as I dont own one but the things I have heard is they arent as robust so landing on the rocks for a pee and a coffe might not be an option ??

With regards to my yak I find it acceptable for what I want at the present time. Its a prowler 13 and handles all Ive asked of it. Maybe next year my outlook may change.

JUst a bit of a request of you guys. Could you remember that we also have the kayak review section with all the main kayaks listed. And anyone with a few minutes spare would be doing me a big favour by reviwing there kayak. All the main kayaks are listed in the right sidebar.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-fishing-reviews/

:happy:

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

But the glass is easier to repair Glenn .....i d trust a patch more than plastic welding .....shame Clive not on to give us his experience on repairing a holed hull.......he dropped his i remember .
    The longevity of the poly yaks is something that has bothered me , thinking along the lines of reinforcing the underside but couldn t find what or how or even if it was possible as the polyprop seems to leak a substance that renders any adhesive unsticky eventually...lol

4. Baramundi Bob

Clive Still posts on Anglers Net. Not sure why he wont come back on here. Were mostly decent lads who dont bite :gum:

5. robq

robq Rockling

Go on get the Dorado ordered mate :yes: you were on about getting one a while back after watching Iain disappearing over the horizon in his :surprise: :surprise:

Expensive yes, but the reviews and feedback from the guys who have invested say that they are worth every penny :yes:

they are not expensive when you look at how much a decent boat package costs and I would bet that the running costs for a boat for a year with fuel, compound + launch fees, insurance etc, etc would come to more than the cost of a Dorado :yes: And we get out as much as a lot of the guys with boats !!

6. spud

spud New Member

Has to be the Dorado for me it will out last any plastic yak by years. Dragged it back up the river a Tywyn last weekend and hardly a mark on it. In any case i will be taking of the water later in the year and putting it back like new. Will still be paddling the Dorado in 20 years time when all of todays plastic yaks will be Tesco Carier bags :embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass:

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

You have to take care over rocks etc which is the only draw back compared to the poly yaks, however you soon adapt to this and handle accordingly, I really couldn't go back to a poly now, I am really enjoying paddling more than ever, particular when you turn around and see the guys 15 minutes behind you :laugh:

8. newdave

newdave Guest

got to say Worm, it was my plan to get the first Dorado so i was no longer last, unfortunately i found the standard model a bit tight for my lankey legs so ordered the mk11, if i had know quint was going to leap in & get his first i might have learned to fit it, as i am now even further behind :angry:,
    Marion is enjoying the Marlin, but its no really practical for us tackle tarts, due to lack of space.

Just in case i have bought a book on GRP repairs, have already completed the first minor one :yes:

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well Scrawney, I never thought I would contemplate spending that much, but having been out with Rob in some nasty seas that were nearly tipping us and throwing the Prowlers around I began to think about what else to also try to get better value for money,ie a yak that handles sea more will hopefully open the odd extra trip out,coupled with how Iain just paddled away,whereas before he never and lastly our hopeful move to the sea means Kim also wants to get afloat.All of those factors meant the bike thats i haven't ridden for over a year had to go to release the funds......just do i go for the Dorado or a cedar strip handbuilt sit on top......that project has been in the back of mind for ages.....ponder ponder ponder......nah reckon a blue topped Dorado for me :yes:and a thermal fleece undersuit and heated pads for feet.....then Hilston at Xmas anchored 300yds out pulling spraggs out while the shore lads watch....well maybe not but still......lol

10. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Has any of you lads paddled a Scupper pro or put one up against a Dorado ?

I have both and to be honest there's not much difference in cruising speed. The Dorado is slightly faster but only by a gnats whisker. I paddle with a group that all started off with P13's and elite's etc. They all use SPT'ws now.

Neil.

11. Baramundi Bob

Who make the scupper pro Neil and what price range ?

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

i really like the dorado after seeing quint speeding ahead of us on sunday. Plus the stability of it is amazing as quint demonstrated to us. I might think about getting one and selling my P13 next year if funds allow.

13. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Ocean Kayak, so they are from good stable. One of the cheapest in the range as well.

http://www.brighton-canoes.co.uk/productpages/sit-on-tops/ocean-kayak-scupper-pro-angler.htm

Neil.

14. Baramundi Bob

How do they do on the stabilty front ? They look rather narrow.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

16. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Very stable, they are more of a sea going kayak than any other in the OK range. The seating position is very low, which keeps your COG down nearer the water line. The front hatch is huge as well. Downside is the rear well is small in comparison to the p13 etc. They have their faults like most models but they do go like sh*t off a shovel. :wink:

Neil.

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

Can anyone please explain why the Dorado is dodgy when it comes to landing near rocks. Its obviously to do with the materials used, but can anyone elaborate on this.

Thanks
    Dave

18. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Davo,

the GRP kayaks, any of them, not just the Dorado and Marlin, will be more brittle in an impact with rocks than a polythene kayak. This is because the polythene has plenty of softness about it and can give. There is a certain amount f give in the grp kayaks, but not so much.

There is an upside and a downside to this. A soft surface that can flex is never going to be as fast, energy is soaked up in the flex ad the waterflow is disturbed, the flexing of the material causes drag - in some cases as much as 10% extra drag. The softer material has less resistance to scratching though - run your thumb nail over a polythene kayak and you can mark it, quite noticably.

GRP has an impact resistence, higher initially, but when it gets to the give point it will crack. This give point is actually quite a hard impact. One Dorado owner lost his kayak off the roof coming off the A40 up the slip road. It suffered a few scratches but no cracks. The stiffer material transfers your energy better into forward motion, the kayak also retains its shape in the water much much better, which is one of the reasons grp will be faster than polythene - even for the same kayak (look at the sea touring kayaks which are available in both materials - same design, same shape, just the material difference - the grp one is much faster). You can also mould to much tighter radius in GRP types than moulded polythene, sharper edges, cleaner lines.

If you take anything, and try hard enough, you can break it. Give me a Chieftain tank - I WILL break it if I try. I might die doing it, but break it I will. The same is withtthe kayaks. If you want to break it, you can. If you treat it within its design criteria it will last. My Dorado is now 7 years old. It has a few scratches on the bottom, but that is only in the gelcoat, which has NO structural strength. It is purely a cosmetic finish. The strength is in the laminate below. As the gelcoat gets worn, you can literally paint more on and rub it and polish it back - just like decorating the woodwork in your house. If you crash into the rocks hard, you will do more damage than if you come in and nose in gently - that is down to kayak handling, not the kayak. If you do the same with a polythene kayak - the crashed one will show more signs of wear than one brought in gently. The same longevity questions will arise. A carefully looked after poly kayak will last longer than one treated roughly.

Coming in against rocks is no problem - I did it when I came up to Flamborough and had lunch in the same place as the others. It is no deal. Instead of charging the rocks, I came in gently. i do the same on sand beaches - you don't have to park a boat length up the beach you know before getting out. You can get out in 2" of water just the same........ :yes: It is more a question of approach. But as Spud says, the laminated kayak will outlast the polythene one many fold.

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

Dorado, thanks for that mate. It seems it just comes down to common sense after all, as well as understanding more about the yak itself. I like the idea of a low cockpit, which i imagine offers the feeling of more stability, compared to other yaks. If i can afford one, it looks like a Dorado for me.

Like i say, thanks again.

Dave