1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Kayak For Fishing ??? OCEAN PROWLER 13

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Nov 12, 2007.

1. fire1160

fire1160 New Member

after reading all your comments above now my minds playing up new motorbike or a shiny kayak my casting is rather poor so i think this may be a better option and two my ankle wont snap again lol seriouslly thinking now guys
    :confused:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You know it makes sense. Kayak fishing is an ever growing sport, especially in our area. :happy:

3. edem1970

edem1970 New Member

Just a little curious lads..... i've been a really keen fisherman for over 30 years and I am really begining to get into the idea of buying a yak but, as i weigh just over 17 stone, i was wondering if i would end up drowning myself before i had a chance to lose some weight??? :embarrass:

4. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

wey no lol thats what a pfd is for aint it???jst tie a bit of bale twine from you to the yak and away ya go. failing that you could also get some arm bands though this may restrict casting ability :whistle:
    is it true that sit on tops are easier to self right than sit ins?and also easier to get back onto??

5. fire1160

fire1160 New Member

thats my next question im only 5"3 and 9 stone i kickbox so im ok with the power to paddle but i dont wanna be pooped bethore i get there i already own a vhf certificate what size yak whould be best for me after reading your comments it seems that a longer one is more stable and to be honest i aint a grate swimmer and i realy dont wanna end up getting to wet lol so eres another question is there some sort of saftey device that i can click say onto my waist that is attached to the yak like the ankle suport thing on a surf board ?

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The sit on tops are not easy to roll....ask Ken he spent a while tipping his over then remaining upside down unable to roll it back.However the conventional methods are ..if you tip off then reach under to grab the opposite handle and then push it up and over..very easy to do.Then you have the choice of climbing on sideways or a favourite of mine...lol mounting from behind ! :canadian:

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Fire....at your size either the P13 (which I have) or the 4.5/trident will be ok.
    You'll be surptrised how you pick up the techniques of basic paddling etc....within two or three trips I was staying out 6-7 hours at a time ...yes a bit achey the following day but other than that no problems.
    As for getting wet....it is a kayak not a boat so being that close to the water and with spray etc you will always get wet.The scupper holes allow plenty of water in to the footwells when static but once paddling the water egresses...and the scuppers are needed for when the waves crash over if launching in surf...otherwise the yak would sink !
    A few of us on here have made yak leashes using a length of bungee and a couple of clips so that if tipped off in a strong tide the yak at least stays nearby and you don't end up drifting apart.
    You are more than welcome to have a go in mine one evening somewhere out of the strong tides such as on the Holderness....you can then see all the kit and how it works and make your mind up about what yak suits you.
    One word of warning is that they do feel very unstable when you first get on one but that very quickly subsides and as you ve probably seen you can just about manage to stand up if the desire takes you to..lol

8. fire1160

fire1160 New Member

thats realy nice of you thanks it whould be realy intresting to see and what set up id need althought im a little unsure of trying yours out just in case i damage sommat altho id love to meet you and discuss what i whould need with regards to saftey gear if its possible id like to meet you when your next down around hornsea as im unable to drive other then bikes dad will bring me and once again thankyou so much for the offer please pm when your next down :yes:

9. fire1160

fire1160 New Member

just orderd a brochure to have a look at the diffrent designes ive had kayak experiance when i was in egipt over the shallows but i whouldnt say i was confident so watch this space lol :crazy:

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

There are some yakkers who are well over 6ft and well over 17 stone edem and they seem to cope alright. With some of the big blokes though leg room can be a problem in certain yaks so that might be worth taking into consideration if you are tall. Another down side is, you,ll have to paddle ashore more often to fillet your fish :wink:

In reply to fire1160, I came off mine on purpose of course :whistle: on a big tide and I floated at the same speed as my yak though it might be different when there is a strong wind. Sometimes you can think too much about certain issues the best way to dispell them is go and have a mess around and I,m sure you will soon get to know your own and your yaks capabilities.

11. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

well said ray :yes: :educated:

12. fire1160

fire1160 New Member

yep looks like im gonna be purchaseing a yak and biteing the bullet i do go diveing in egipt but the waters certainly alot warmer lol just awaiting some prices n more info on saftey gear so who knows you may see me around lol ive also got my 52 yr old m8 intrested lol

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Just noticed that theres amost 4000 views for this topic :surprise: I suspect theres a few secret yakkers waiting in the wings :suspious: Hopefully there will be a few more purchases before the Scarborough Kayak Comp in September.

14. Baramundi Bob

You mean this one Ray -

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-fishing-competition.php

:happy: :happy:

15. Baramundi Bob

16. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

iam going away in june for a couple of days but when i get back i will be getting an ocean prowler 13
    cheers ian

17. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Can i ask whats the going rate your paying for your new kayak`s ? Ive found a new one the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game but im not sure what the best price ??,
    thanks shark

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Dont buy a big game mate no,no,no :happy:, A P13 or a p15 or even an Elite or a Scuppa Pro but dont buy a big game :happy:.

19. Baramundi Bob

not very nice mate. Very broad and difficult to paddle.

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

as Glenn says its a big fat kayak for big fat yanks who fish the Everglades :happy: