1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Kayak For Fishing ??? OCEAN PROWLER 13

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Nov 12, 2007.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Hi Chaps, been watching what you guys are getting up too on these sit-on-top kayaks, as I've said I'm a keen kayaker with lots of experience but never brought fishing and kayaking together - damn keen to have a go now though. I'm looking at an Ocean Kayak, namely the Prowler 13, any of you guys use this yak and can you comment on handling stability etc. I'm more use to enclosed yaks and shooting rivers and weirs etc, did do a few sea trips last year around Flamboro and Brid Bay etc.

Cheers Ken

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Re: Which Kayak???

Hi Ken, I have the P13 as do a couple of others on here. As far as I know we,re all happy with them. Some Kayaks do some things better in certain departments, but overall they,re a good all rounder and you won,t go far wrong if you decide that it,s the one for you. The handling and stability are fine and they will withstand quite a bit of sea but obviously have their limitations, common sense being the key. When reading up about them, the ammount of water on board when stationary seems to be a bug bear but as Newdave pointed out almost everyone sits sidesaddle with their feet in the water while fishing anyway ;D It certainly has,nt bothered me and as soon as you start to paddle the water drains through the scupper holes. Thats just my humble opinion Ken and I,m no expert having only got my P13 this summer. I,m sure some of the other lads will offer their opinion too. Regards Ray.

3. newdave

newdave Guest

I'll second that Ken, P13 is the Kayak of choice among the lads on this site, delighted with mine. 8) Can fix a test drive sometime if you Want ? ;D

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Hey you guys are fantastic, thanks for the offer of a paddle in your yak Dave - and again what a fantastic fish....... I'm mad about fishing and i'm mad about kayaking, wish i had found this forum a couple of years ago. Why o why have I never thought of putting the two together, I was out just this summer with the daughter, we paddled from Thornwick up to the lighthouse via all the caves, drifting over the rock formations and kelp beds and under a load of anglers lines who were fishing the cliffs. My main kayak is a Perception Whip-it which is great in surf and rapids, rolls easily and fun to play in but I couldn't imagine fishing off it. I owned a little 8' tender that I use to put in at Fraisthorpe and row out for mackerel and flatties now and again, did that for a couple of years.

I see you guys take safety seriously, your really have too, the sea scares the crxp out of me, as we all know it can whip up in a moment, with just a simple and slight change in wind direction or tide it can turn form placid to lethal. I wouldn't ever venture out anywere without a full wetsuit, buoyancy aid and if theres hard stuff about, a good lid.

I use to belong to a local club that meet at Albert Ave baths in Hull every monday, they put you through all of your BCU grades for kayaking. A fave trip out which is done every year is on Boxing Day at North Landing spending an hour in the surf prior to retreating to the pub for lunch.

Well thanks again, looking forward to chatting much more, i think i'm sold on a p13, reasonably priced and of a decent length, speak soon, Ken

5. robq

robq Rockling

Hi Ken I have the prowler elite 4.5 which is a bit bigger than the p13, I am 15 stone however !! I find the extra length does offer me a bit more paddling speed over the lads with the p13 but to be honest there is not much in it, the extra weight is definitely a disadvantage though when carrying it to some marks. You wont go far wrong with a p13 mate

Rob

6. Daz Taylor

Daz Taylor New Member

Hi guys, I'm also toying with the idea of getting one of these yaks. Haven't done much research as yet, but was just wondering what I'd expect to pay for yak and all the essential accessories?

Cheers fellas

Daz

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

For those interested there is quite a bit about kayaks on the site.

This is a list of forum topics :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/?action=tags;id=82

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/?action=tags;id=83

and this is an excellent article written for us by quint :)

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-fishing.php

:)

8. newdave

newdave Guest

Dear Glen
    I suggest you start your letter to Santa

" please send me a prowler 13 angler in flame with a deluxe seat "
    ;D ;D ;D
    you know you want one 8)

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

About £500 for a yak Daz and about another £500 for most of the equipment you,ll need, depending on how far you want to go, which is usually further than what you,d want ;D

10. Baramundi Bob

Keh ??

11. robq

robq Rockling

The yaks are about £550 to £600 and if you shop around you will get a PFD and paddle thrown in. As for the rest of the gear it depends on how seriously you want to take it ( the same as any other type of fishing !! ) I reckon you can get a decent set up for less than £1500 including safety gear. It sounds a lot but when you consider how much it costs to buy and run a small boat its peanuts really !! the advantages are good exercise, stealth, no launch or fuel costs and the flexibiltiy to go where and when you want !! we regularly completely outfished the flamboro boats this year in less than 40ft of clear water due to fact we dont put a big shadow over the fish. It really is a fantastic branch of our sport and ideally suited to the N.E coast in summer !!

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Hi Daz, well i'm watching an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 on Ebay at mo for I think it £560 with free delivery, other expenses include wet suits, cag, buoyancy aids, neoprene boots, gloves etc, a good quality paddle, a stowed fold up paddle for emergencies and a bit of fishing kit and probably a set of roof bars....

13. newdave

newdave Guest

and Autumn Rob 8)

14. Baramundi Bob

My Fund is coming along nicely but everytime I mention it to her in doors I get a rather strange look. I think I'll not mention it again until one arrives next Year :D

15. robq

robq Rockling

I wish I lived where you do and had the time you do mate :'( :'( maybe one day !! You do work hard for your fish though mate !!
    I intended to get out and about on mine over autumn and winter but its just not happening for me with the weather at the moment ::) ::)

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Bob, I was considering just hanging it up in the garage and kinda hoping the wifey doenst notice the change in colour/length to my yak and the big hole in our bank account, have you any divorce councilors in this form? ;)

17. Baramundi Bob

I'm pretty lucky really cos in all the years I've known her she's never once muttered a word when I depart to go fishing (well there was that day she came out of Hospital having had our first born and forbid me to go out no matter how many times I told her it was spot on for Pennock Nab ;D). But If I spend a grand on a yak I might be sporting a shiner for a while. Best I keep quiet and tell here it cost a couple of hundred ;)

Hope she don't read this :D

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ye, I can see my bribe coming together now............

"If I promise not to fish New Years Eve this year (all night) dear beautiful wife of mine can I have one of those little plastic boats?"

I'll go see what she says to that ;D ;D

19. Daz Taylor

Daz Taylor New Member

Thanks for the info lads. I'd better get saving - maybe look at it for the summer season, what with Crimbo coming. Thanks again. ;D

20. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

You won't go wrong with a P13 Ken, I think there ideal for this coast, sound on the water and easy to move on the land and getting on the roof rack - I bought a p15 cause I always thought bigger was better ::) - you'll love the summer fishing out on a yak, it opens up loads of doors regarding fishing, 1000 quid should see you kitted out no problem, it's just a question of colour, do you go for the "loud" jazzy look, or like Ramrod and myself, the cool stealth look ;D