1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Is The Best Whitby Tackle Shop ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Barnsley Chop, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

I have noticed that there are now 2 tackle shops established on Church Street near the charter pontoon. Which is the best one in terms of tackle, bait advice etc ?

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Definitely Whitby Angling Supplies for several reasons:

Whitby Angling Supplies have been a long term sponsor of www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk and of the Whitby Angling Festival. Without the support of Whitby Angling Supplies it is likely this site and forum would not exist in its current state, providing free information on all types of angling in the region.

Martin and Jackie who own Whitby Angling Supplies have in the past given us money to keep the site running, they have also sponsored our heaviest fish of the month competition which was a very popular feature on the site in the early days. They also give regular prizes of significant value to The Whitby Angling Festival

Whitby Angling Supplies also employs one of the areas most knowledgeable and friendly young anglers. Dan The Pollack who works in Whitby Angling Supplies will answer any questions you have on fishing in the area. Unlike many other anglers, Dans knowledge is not restricted to one discipline. Dan is an accomplished angler with a mass of knowledge on both fresh and saltwater fishing. Also Dan really knows his stuff on Kayak, Boat and Shore fishing with some great catches under his belt of Cod, Bass, Pollack, Ling etc. So if its advice on angling then where else would you go ? Call in and see Dan youll find him welcoming and helpful.

Whitby Angling Supplies also has the most extensive stock in the shop, and at competitive prices even on a national level.

3. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

Which one is that

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Whitby angling supplies sponsors the whitby charter skippers and is the first tackle shop you come to after you come over the swing bridge.

paul.

5. barrymac

barrymac Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

which ever one gives you the best deal

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well if you were shopping solely based on best price then I would throw Boyes into the equation. However I would point out that they dont support fishing in the town, They dont support this forum or local matches and if you ask the girl at the till which is the best mark for bass, she will likely wonder what on earth your talking about.

7. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Go to keith sports saltburn, beats them both hands down.

8. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

That's not really helpful Jake. When I arrive at 6am on a morning and need to load up for a days chartering, the last thing on my mind is another 40 mile round journey to Saltburn.

9. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

its the one between the endeavour pub and mr chips they have a huge range of stock from all major tackle companies.

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Whitby Angling Supplies :yes:

had a look in the other shop and they stock nothing the cod king would use in his fishing arsenal :laugh:

WAS all the way

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

In my mind that says it all....if you appreciate this forum like most of us do then this is the shop you should be buying from...

12. Marco825

Marco825 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Whitby angling supplies definatelly, good advaice and bargain prices!

13. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice comments but a lot you hav'nt seen the shop were onabout, no chance, it just has rubbish gear from bottom to top, fair play to the man trying to start a tackle shop, but theres only one space for a tackle shop in whitby, and its allread taken :yes:

14. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Thats all fair enough about Whitby Angling Supplies as they have everything you need for shore and boat and everything else in between.
    I've bought a lot of gear from them over the years.
    Supporting the site is also a great thing.

However - and this is quite a big however for me. When I phoned them the last couple of times to order fresh lug for the weekend, they told me that they don't get fresh bait in, only the frozen stuff. Fair enough! but the other smaller shop further down the road do take orders for fresh lug and it's good quality.
    I come over from Leeds so not being on the doorstep I don't have the choice to dig my own and have to order it for the day.
    So the long and short of it is that the shop that sells the fresh lug also gets my business for the other bits and pieces that I need at the same time.

BP

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Paul they do get fresh lug in whitby angling if i am not mistaken its just when they can get a supply.

paul.

16. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I deal with Keith's 99% of the time but have had bait and bits from Whitby Angling Supplies when been doing all day and needed more bait and it's cock on, live lug rag spot on, as is frozen gear never had problems with supply either always have plenty in.
    I have delt with Keith's 20+ years and always get a good deal, keep it local or you'll loose it.

17. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

OK - that's good to know for next time.
    Credit to anyone running a tackle shop nowadays.
    It can't be easy with so much internet competition.
    I do try to support the tackle shops as a first point of call for as much as possible but sometimes just can't ignore internet prices.
    That said, I would sometimes within reason rather pay a little bit more to support the local shop for the advice and service.

BP

18. martin

martin New Member

There will soon be 3 one opening in Haggersgate at Easter opposite where Whitby Angling Supply's used to be

19. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

They are both good for different things and they are both only trying to make a living in these hard times so why don't you call into both and make your own mind up and support all local business

20. anth the angler

anth the angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Because i have been working in Redcar the last couple of years i have been buying my live bait from there. Lately people have been ordering worm and not collecting it. a couple of weekends ago they were left with £50 of worm; cost them money and others good fishing time. They have now stopped taking orders from people they dont know. I agree support your local shop; and dont let the sport down by not turning up if you order stuff over the phone.