1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which hooks best for whiting?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BigPauly, Nov 12, 2012.

1. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Hi all

Iv'e decided to tie some new rigs as over the years my rig collection seems to have somewhat deteriorated by being lulled into buying the cheap Fladden rigs from Boyes which I have now decided are a load of pap.
    I used to use The Varivas Saltwater champions for whiting but can't decide on what is the best hook size to get for flapper rigs for worm and squid tips for catching whiting.
    Any advice on hook size and style for whiting would be great.

BP

2. cincinatti

cincinatti Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

1/0 aberdeens for me :yes:

3. potholer

potholer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Size 3or 2 saltwater champions never let me down hope this help's

4. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

3/0 longshank sakuma hooks, don't get plauged by the tiny whiting (in theory!)

5. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

1's or 1/0s

6. BigPauly

I guess it's everyone to their own as everyone seems to have different ideas for hook size.
    The thing is I do miss rather a lot of rattling bites when fishing for whiting and can only assume that smaller hooks would be better for hook ups as I reckon a lot of the bites are from small fish that just have a bit of a tug at the the bait without taking it fully in the mouth.
    Anybody got any tips for better hook ups when the bites are a bit finicky?

BP

7. Pollock Kid

Pollock Kid New Member

I use 1/0 fine wire circle hooks, perfect for small flatties an whities

8. Safc Liam

Safc Liam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

1/0 crab hooks :yes:

1/0 sakuma mantas are my preference :yes:

9. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

I use 1/0 fine wire circle hooks, perfect for small flatties an whities

Same here.

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

im not trying to be funny here but any bloody hook will do, if you fished a 3 hook flapper with 6/0 sakumas, i can tell you now you'll catch, when im targetting cod over the soft ground, fishing 6/0 pennel rigs and huge baits, a whiting will allways find its way onto the hook, sometimes one either end of my bait.

in my competative club days when whitey bashing i used to use kamasan b940 size 2's up to 2/0's, size 1 kamasan crab hook, but you will catch them on any brand of scimillar size, no probs :wink:

11. Mike

Mike Blenny

circle hooks 2/0 never hardly miss :yes:

12. BigPauly

Is it just me - but I seem to remember a few years ago the whiting seemed to throw themselves at the hook and it wasn't uncommon to get a whiting on every hook; but to me now they seem a lot more finicky.
    Could it possibly be that the average size is a lot smaller? I know there are a few really decent sized ones about but generally with whiting I think that missed bites must be tiny sized fish that can't engulf a whole bait.
    BP