1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which chest waders are best

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by frank avey, Sep 16, 2010.

1. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

looking to buy some neopreen chest waders ,after looking on ebay there is loads of firms selling them but its hard to buy from a picture,the bison ones look okay but would rarther hear from lads that have bought waders and are happy with them or not as the case maybe ,dont want to buy ones that look good and dont last a season so come on lads if youve had a good pair let me know.
    thanks ,frank.

2. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have just bought the snowbee stocking foot ones with the snowbee wading boots not wore them yet but some good reviews on them i got them from devon angling center (www.anglingcenter.com) check them out cheapest price i found and free postage and only took a week to come

dave

3. richie7

richie7 Blenny

frank, I bought a pair of the bison ones last year. When they arrived they turned out to be :butt:brown and even though I'm only slim build they were like wearing lycra :embarrass:(not that I do or have of course). You would never get a fleece under them so sent them back.

I then bought some ron thompson stillwater neoprenes found them quite comfy but after only 3 sessions the boots split in lots of areas and the taping fell off. They went back and I paid extra to upgrade to snowbee granites spiked sole. Now these are superb the only thing I have found after a year is the spikes on the heel seem to be getting ripped out on some of the plugging marks I fish. I would deffo buy another pair of these although I hear they are having supply problems due to a dispute with the boot manufacturer in china. With chesties it seems to be buy cheap buy twice..............

4. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

what happend to OCEAN waders do thay still make them ? i ripped mine and need some new ones for this winter tightlines Alain

5. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yes they still make oceans there just exspensive now

6. The Apprentice

The Apprentice Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

7. GizzaCod

GizzaCod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Frank what you have to look at is where you're going to fish. If you're scrambling over wet slippy rocks then Titanium studded ones are a MUST, don't get some with the studs you screw in yourself. If you fish clean beaches then there's no need for studded. Not last season the one before I bought some Snowbie granitefoot studded chesties and they lasted the season, but the studs had worn to nothing. Last season I bought the Greys Apollo studded and fished all season and they still have enough stud to probably last this winter. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so buy the best you can afford.

8. The Apprentice

The Apprentice Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Frank, I've had Snowbee's for a good few years now, have to admit they've not had much stick, but they're still in good nick.

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Just bought some Leeda neoprenes from Keith's in Saltburn, used all last week at the Mull and they were spot on. Seem ok for less than £60

10. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi the apprentice ill get some more ocean studded waders as the ones i had lasted me years i bought them from castle foot tackle shop in scaborough i ripped the crotch out of them climming into my boat in deep water so all ive done is cut the boots off them i will still use them under my fishing suite on the cliff tops & rocks when waders are not needed thanks for your reply tightlines Alain

11. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

WILLYBENDITS' waders must be in a bad state if he hasnt' been round to me for a free repair! I cant' get my breath! He asked me to mend his van tyres the other day!

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

I hear a lot of ocean die hards have turned away from them nowadays due to not only the price but the change in boot design which are apparently a load of cack... tight lines

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

They are Mart. I got a pair of my normal size and even with 3 pairs of thick socks on my feet flop around in them. I,ve had them 2yr and only worn them twice.

14. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick you'd have no chance of mending my old waders i know your right into leather and rubber but not even sooty and his magic wand could do out with them well cream crackerd having read what Mart had to say ill not order any over the internet ill go to the shops and buy some then i can see whats what tightlines Alain

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The waders I ve had:

Cheapo Zebco neoprenes....srubbish split after a few months.

Oceans studded....didn t like the boots sold them on now too pricey

Liverpool wader co.....studded pair lasted 2 winetrs then studs wore out. Second pair unstudded for beaches on 4th season with them....really rate these.

Snowbie granites with spiked sole, 1st pair boots split, after 13months but they replaced them under a warranty claim can t fault the service. Downsides I hate the shoulder straps, unless you got shoulders like a silver back they just flop about.

For rock I like to use breathables and used a pair of Stillwater from Chapmans Angling, £60 for the waders and use Bison wading boots £34 off fleabay, with tungsten studs they screw in and they don't move because the felt sole is so hard the studs really do get a good purchase on the sole and grip well on the rocks.

Out of all of them I prefer the breathables and wading boots.

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

When i look back over the years the best waders i have ever had were the ocean , but today you have got to go down the breatheble route,

my last pair of snowbee granite were sh*te a few months and the studs were f***ed , then started to leek,

but the thing is ,i do not know of a single angler who has had a good pair of waders for more than three seasons,

its a shame but after all if they did last they wouldnt sell as many :crazy: so this year i will buy ANOTHER PAIR and just hope i get value for money.

17. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just consigned a pair of bison breathable to the dustbin yesterday, I did have them for 3 yeArs but I probably only used them about 20 times, mind you I do a lot of miles when I'm fishing. They went on the back of the neo sock bit, probably could have repaired them but I was sick of them and it was the perfect excuse to get some new.

18. robq

robq Rockling

I love breathables for rock fishing as you dont get sweaty and clammy. You can layer your clothes to suit the weather ( unlike neoprenes where you sweat like a pig !! ) and best of all you can wear decent studded boots which give great ankle support :yes:

19. glassback

glassback Blenny

i have tried loads of makes in the past and i must admit ,snowbee are the ones i have had for the last 10 years,
    not the same pair.i prefer breathables because its normaly the studs that go first so you just get a new pair of boots instead of th full waders.

i do use neoprene but as rob said if you are walking any distance you get wet through inside .
    i also think breathables are more comffy to wear.

20. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thanks for the replys lads,dont like going by what the manufacturers say as they all say theirs are the best which we all know is bull----.will mull over what all the lads have said and buy on that,thanks again ,this is where the forum is really usefull if theres good gear to be bought out there someone will have bought and used it and can spread the word. thanks , frank.