1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which braid? Does colour matter?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Harlo from Darlo, May 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Harlo from Darlo

Harlo from Darlo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm currently about to purchase some braid for shading/bait fishing and was wondering if any others stand out from the rest as I use Berkly Whiplash in 50lb (0.17 apparently) and can't seem to find any others with the same or similar diameter in the 50lb.So I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on anything else which you's lot are using or should I just stick to the Whiplash?
    Also do you think that the colour of the braid matters when clear water shading as there are plenty of hi-viz braids on sale?

Thanks for any help and advice

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

My Fave is Power pro.

3. Baramundi Bob

Have a read of this for some good information.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/braid-what-should-i-buy

4. Harlo from Darlo

Cheers Bob...Loads of info

5. Baramundi Bob

No worries mate, you may also enjoy these :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=187

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7867.0

6. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I use power pro and have for years, use it in my carp and pike fishing too, tried a lot of others but always found power pro best

7. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

i use spectra braid from china and at £5 a fill is cheaper than anything in the uk, it wears well (i use it on my hire rods) the diameter is a bit more than most braids but still less than mono and the sensitivity is still there.

you will find a lot of lads now using it, for the £30 you spend on whiplash youll get half a dozen fills of the china stuff

8. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Depends what you doing with it, on a multi it doesnt matter what thickness. If your casting using a fixed spool i'd shell out for power pro. The chinese stuff is great for the price but the diameters stated are miles out bought 1000 yards of 20lb which stated .18mm it was measured at .26mm which on a fixed spool is 20 or 30 yards out.

i always use yellow and it hasnt made any difference on the fish front.

9. Baramundi Bob

I would agree, If plugging etc then diameter is important. Was talking to Dan yesterday and he agreed with me, Power pro takes some beating. Ive used the Penn braid which looks like power pro but I suffered masses of wind knots. I have whiplash 50lb on my float fishing rod, but for plugging it is 30lb power pro for me.

10. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

I've been using the cheaper Spectra braid from China for a couple of years for beach and boat. In actual fishing I've not had any problems but found when practising my casting with a fixed spool the 35lb braid produced some awful tangles, resulting in me having to cut them out and knot the line together on a couple of occasions.
    Now that could be down to my rubbish casting and nothing to do with the type of braid :laugh: and I'll certainly be ordering more from China this year :cheesy:

11. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

In fact I just ordered some more while I was thinking about it - and it's bright yellow :cheesy:

12. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i have a spool of china spectra braid which i used for the first time this winter. i found it best for short casting into heavy ground or cliff fishing. i wouldnt rate it for any sort of distance as the diameter is HUGE compared to some of the premium branded lines like whiplash/power pro etc.

i would never use it for plugging as i think its far too thick and wouldnt come off the spool very good at all.

ive used it once for boat fishing and hated it, although its thin compared to mono i still rate whiplash or power pro due to the fact it catches less tide, that means i can use less lead, which in turn gives me more control and feel about my fishing.

so it does have some pros & cons imho.

Good value, cheap to replace etc but if your looking for quality id buy the premium stuff every day of the week.

13. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

always used the dynema braid from china for years,
    i know its not as thin as whiplash which was the first [and only time] i bought the whiplash but at £30 odd for the whiplash to the seven quid for the chinese stuff i could not justify paying £30 quid as the snags you catch dont come out any easier with the premium stuff and loose half and your back to spending another £30 ,the chinese stuff,who cares.
    the 50lb i have on comes in at 0.26mm and its fine and have no complaints whatsoever ,that equates to about 10lb mono in diameter i also use 20lb on the long rod and fixed spool and again this is fine.
    if its good enough for the charter boats it will do me .

frank.

14. slawie

slawie Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I
    just got some from china frank its s--t can snap the 30lb with my hands and it dosnt take much more to snap the 80lb I think its just the crap they use for sewing upholstery

15. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Are you sure you bought braid lol? If anything the chinese stuff is over the specified weights as its like tow rope.

and 50lb dyneema is more like .38 i've measured it.

16. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

mine has never snapped that easy but thats another reason why i like power pro....its always consistant

17. Harlo from Darlo

Plenty of mixed advice thanks but does anyone think that hi-viz lines put fish off is is just a load of b*****ks ?

18. Baramundi Bob

Bollocks. I saw a lad hammer bass right next to us with illuminous yellow monno. Rest of us couldnt get a touch. Dan witnessed it as it was is mate. We told dan not to invite him any more after that.

19. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

same as rich i use it for bass pluggin salmon fishing & all my boat fishing its never ever let me down

20. Harlo from Darlo

Think ill just stick to the Whiplash in 50lb but in the new flouro colour as if it doesn't put the fish off it'll at least stand out against other anglers lines if/when we tangle.