1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Big Fixed Spool Reels For Braid And Long Casting ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. tin of sardines

tin of sardines Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Long rod, beach casting dilemma!

I bought a continental long rod Taylor Q7 (4.5 MT YUKI Competition)

It has the usual fixed spool position reel mount and I immediately thought that my Shimano Biomaster XT 12000 loaded with braid would be ideal for it. I bass fished with it a couple of times off the beach using a simple off ground cast. I felt that I could cast further with my Zziplex and Abu multiplier and I could with just a pendulum cast.

Trying to analyse the reason for poor casting and looking at several articles on the internet I thought that the large spool was pushing large coils of braid which were too big at the first ring. Which was causing the line to slow down during the cast.

So I changed to an old Shimano Baitrunner areo 6,000 loaded with braid. My practice casts on a football field proved that the bait runner cast about 15 meters further on the same effort of cast.
    I do intend to learn how to cast this continental rod properly and my dilemma is:- can anyone recommend a reel that casts braid very well and is mid sized between the baitrunner and the Biomaster as the Bio just feels to big for this rod.

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Don't put the braid on using a cotton bobbin fashion USE a wide weave this reduces bedding problems a bundle , Ive found out having a piece of round wood or metal pipe about 8 inches long is handy to pull the braid out when badly stuck , just wrap the braid round a few times
    for me it works

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cannot understand how so many of you are getting problems fishing with braid. Ring wraps , crack offs etc etc. Maybe my set up or am I just lucky. I read don't put to much line on the reel. Mines full to the top and ive even coned it out to get more distance. That's two different makes of reels a xt10000 and a 6000t. The rod I use is a fireblade backcaster rung with all the rings in the first 57ins from the tip ring.Now I had to rering the rod so I did put the new k wags from Fuji on it but ive fished braid for years and ive always just put ordinary fujis on the rods ive had (cannot think what they where called) The braid I have always used is 14 or 20lb fireline in smoke , not used any other braid because ive never had any bother with fireline. Just started to use a braid leader 100lb only because I run out of mono leader and a mate said try this . Feels just the same to me . One more thing the reels down the bottom of the rod. Hope some of this helps someone.

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

But Fireline isn't a true braid.....it's a coated "superline" so behaves differently to braids. Also 30lb fireline is stated as 0.38mm Power Pro for example is 0.28mm so a lot thicker too which is another big difference.

You say you've used 14lb or 20lb.........most of the lads using braid on here are using it over heavy ground and in much heavier breaking strains.

So perhaps not realistic comparison

6. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

In many ways fireline is different braid but its still a braid. No stretch ,cuts like cheese wire etc. The 20lb breaks ive been told a lot higher than 20lb .Wont be any good for rough ground but not everybody fishes rough ground. It would be interesting to know what the 30lb breaks at. Not used power pro but ive been led to believe its its breaking strain is weaker than stated so perhaps a realistic comparison .

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I agree with you mocks on the stretch but how the line behaves was the point I didn t make very clearly.....true braids are very limp and so behave in a completely different manner to fused coated lines, which behave very similarly to mono. When I was experimenting with braids and multiplier I considered fireline but the thickness put me off. I d watched it being used on a 525 and proper leathered with no issues at all............true Power Pro and not the chinese sourced fakes is a really good line breaking a good way heavier than stated....but so does Fireline but a lot thicker.

The ring wraps thing was a big problem for a lot of lads with limp braids....maybe with fireline it wouldn t have been. Shame that its not thinner and cheaper.

8. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have a look on here it'll tell you what various braids break at http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm