1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Big Fixed Spool Reels For Braid And Long Casting ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 30, 2013.

1. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers for advice ive got some chinese braid
    I will load up with that when I get home and see how I get on.

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I know some lads get on great with multi and braid, I persevered for nearly two years with different braids on multipliers and just as I thought I ad got it working problem free.....BOOM ! It would blow up and trash another full spool of braid because you just pull it out.
    I gave up because of the stock pile of briad I was having to keep just ensure i had some come the next blow up. I must say like others I prefer a multiplier for my casting but use a fixed spool to enable me to use baid and have learned to cast the egg beater close to my multiplier distances........I may have another foray into trying a multi and braid.......I don't think I would dare go as heavy as 106lb though.

What is the actual (not on the lable but mic'd up) diameter of the 106lb power pro ?

3. 16979arkle

16979arkle Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

has anyone tried them new century Excalibur sre 15ft with braid ??

4. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Jelly,
    Sorry, did not see that.
    106lb pp is 0.43mm.
    Reason I used is because it is a little bit more resistant to bedding in than the 66lb, and because 66lb actually seems to break under 50lb, so you end up losing shock and all if hook is snagged.
    The reason I turned to 106 it is it allows me to step down my gear in stages all the way to end. So strong main, 70lb shock, 60lb body, 50lb snood and weight loop, 20-40lb rottens. Nothing more annoying to me than loosing the whole end section, and with mine I often just lose a hook, so can just snell one and carry on.
    Don't know actual bs of the 88lb. Might be worth trying.
    Re. casting - yes, it can go wrong, I agree. My first session this year, after10 months on lure, was an awakening. But, when you are casting smoothly there are few issues. I have certainly never lost any braid. I find birdies are smaller, if anything.
    But you definitely know about a bad cast, that is for sure. Head and shoulder up, or trouble.

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If that's how you fish with it fair do's.... but it seems that your compromise to make it work on a multiplier defeats some of the object of braid in the first place. To fish braid that heavy you'll pick up tide and cut your distance . The stated diameter of the braid is not how the line sits in the water when it fluffs out.

Like I say each to their own but 106lb just seems overkill, perhaps a cast measured over grass would show how it effected the distance ?

I use 60lb power pro to a 100lb leader and rarely lose leaders on most ground and often straighten the hooks out pulling out of a snag.

I do seem to remember some very good anglers on here advocating using a hook that is strong but that will bend out rather than lose the full gear, a nicely balanced outfit will do that which I prefer.

I'll stick to my fixed spool for braid as it alleviates the problems that you get with the multi..........fixed spool will never be my favourite reel choice but it hardly ever goes wrong and gets a bait in the water and the lighter braid and free flowing nature of how braid comes off the spool give you those yards that are dropped with it on a multi ;)

6. lipslicker

No, you're totally right.
    It is not a distance tool, but under 120 and heavy ground.
    Compromises with both for sure.

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

So you can bang a bait 120 yards with 106lb braid?? ??? :-\

8. lipslicker

Hi Smokey,
    Best guess as a max, though will take Jellyworms advice to check on field, for my own interest as well. Hard to tell over water.
    Tested on field with the 66lb PP on Abu 7000 C3 Ct HS and was getting about 185 yards. Figured gears would be too weak so swapped it on to Abu 9000, and was getting 160-70 odd.
    Avet better than Abu, but thicker line and added bait - guessing at 120.
    Feels about as far as I can chuck a metal with a long lure rod, and I know that is 120 odd.

I find there is not that much difference between my distance on that set up as on my FS with 66lb PP, but that might be because I have not given it too much practise and it still feels very weird. Hate that finger strain and added weight. And the coarseness of a braid leader.

One of the reasons I moved from 66lb to 106lb was after chatting to a lad on Brigg, who seemed to have the FS thing sorted. He was using 100lb, 120lb leader. I figured if he was using that on FS, I might as well use same line on multi, as it would stop bedding in issues (fine on field, but not so much in real fishing scenarios, like in dark).
    (I guess he knocked a bait about 150 with FS. He used to tournament 250. Cannot remember his name, but you might know who I mean? Fin Nor reel. Fishes Bempton)

Of course, far less issues on FS, if it feels OK for you.

My main interest in braid is the ability to pull free of snags with high bs snoods, and the bite detection. And most of my marks are more like 80 yards, some less.

If you are after serious distance, probably not the set up for you in fishing scenarios, cast after cast, issue free. If, like me, it is usually more like 80, with the odd 120, then worth considering.
    Also, your casting has to be a fairly relaxed style. A stiff rod and Hatteras with braid/multi would be seriously tricky to pull off repeatedly. I would not even try it.

One other thing - set your brakes higher than with mono. Braid is much more dense, so spool holds speed better.

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think it is all to easy to over estimate casting distances over water and even pacing out over a field gives you a better rough idea but usually the measure is way out.

The 100 yard line seems a long way when you first step up to the tournament field oche and 200 and beyond is crazy until you start hitting 200+ then you realize how far out estimating is. Some of the Holderness lads , who are 250+ men on the tournament field cast a single worm on a pulley rig using a fast 6500 size reel and 0.35mm mono line and measured 230yd casts both dropping somewhere in the region of 20-30 yds with a small single worm bait on good field footing and favourable winds.

120YDS with an average crab bait and tow rope braid on a multi on rock marks is a very good cast.

The way line comes off the multi drops your distance no doubt, but despite that it is the 'tip toe' approach to your fishing , get it wrong at your peril that imo is the weakness of the set up, so prone to 'driver error'. In the heat of battle you pull a fish in and keen to back into them you aren't as careful as you should be....bang !!

Going by the amount of very heavy braid that I had to pick up from off Braille the over night before fishing,I guess some are trying the heavy braid route and getting it wrong !!!.........I do wish anglers wouldn't leave yards and yards of braid lying around on the cliff top marks.......very easy to trip over the the lot ! But that is a whole new debate :mad: :mad:

10. lipslicker

Will try to do a rock cast (no step around) with a red tail attached. Be interesting.

Tip-toe thing, yes. Higher brake setting setting and no lazy casts solves worst. It is like starting on mono/multi - just takes a while to find comfort zone. Brakes biggest difference.

And will try to do a bit more on FS, so I can compare better. It might be I get accustomed to that and am converted.

Re. mess - the amount of rubbish on Kettleness Scaur after Redcar match was unreal, and made me realise it is not just the Mackie bashers. But, as you say, that topic opens another can!
    :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. cps

cps Rockling

ill second that 120 with a decent bait [ well what I would call decent] is a long way and imm not a bad caster

12. lipslicker

Hi guys,
    For those interested, I have just come back from a few casts to try to give a direct comparison.
    I tried as best I could to ensure all casts were as identical in style, technique and power as possible. I don't snap a down too aggressively with left on multi with braid, so did same with FS.
    Cast was a 'rock cast' high pendulum, so feet stationary, swing away about 180-190 to cast direction and 8 foot drop.
    I was using a C Curve. 5oz weight and a red tail tied on with bait elastic, with the red bit tripled over - approximately the size of half a black gulley worm with a small peeler tip (so not a big cod bait by any stretch).
    Based at Staxton, so wind 10-15 mph guess.
    I did two casts on each. First directly into, second into at 45* to it.
    First reel was Avet MXL MC, with setting on 3. 106lb Power Pro braid.
    Into wind - 110 yards, second - 130
    Second reel was Ultegra 14000, 66lb Power Pro braid, 103lb braid shock.
    First - 135. Second 145.

Not as much in it as I thought, but I suspect I could probably add another 10% to the FS figures with a bit of practise (had less than ten casts with it). And, of course, there are probably less issues, as others have said.
    For long marks, onto mixed ground, I will probably consider the FS now. Or in wind/big tides.
    But, I do prefer the weight/size/flexibility of a multi (clicker, bait setting, adjustable drag) for most other marks, particularly into deep kelp, where stronger braid ensures snoods do snap, over main.

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Lipsicker I'm sorry but I'm completely lost, the above sounds like nuclear physics to me, fishing is not that complicated!

14. lipslicker

EFC was wondering about casting braid on a multiplier. And then Jellyman was asking me to measure distance baited over grass, as I was only able to give an estimate over water.
    Probably not of interest to anybody else, except to show (for me) not a huge difference between braid on multiplier or FS. I am guessing, if I had been using 106lb braid on FS, then distances would have been pretty much identical?

15. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Simple really ;D

16. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

saw a big fish come out next to me tuther day at around 40-50 yard while I was blasting baits out as far as I could
    must learn to chuck short once in awhile ::) ;)

17. lipslicker

No, I agree. I don't often cast that far, as I hope I made clear in earlier post.
    I tested relative distances for EFC, Jellyworm and Smokey, and others who might consider braid on multi over FS.

18. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well id say I can get further with fixed spool and braid which is the choice I choose like on the drive ect when a good cast is needed sometimes, but where distance aint an issue I get the multi braid out(unless its rough )
    I just prefer a multi and its as simple as that!

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I m similar Jase......fixed and braid on tide spots and cliffs. Multi for closer work but mono for me....mainly because I m too clumsy to get away with the braid route.....despite trying and trashing a fortune in braid !

Lips.......i was more looking at perception of distances as opposed to comparison between the two. Just out of interest how did you measure the casts ?

20. lipslicker

Hi Jelly,
    I measured in a straight line, over level ground, by pacing out. I am 6'1", and my long pace is pretty reliable yard.