1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Big Fixed Spool Reels For Braid And Long Casting ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 30, 2013.

1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

I love my affinity twin tip.

admittedly im a crap caster 80yds or so with a multiplier but I wouldn't say my distance has increased greatly with the long rod either (well maybe with a following wind). But its the easy use of the rod which sold it for me.

Its quite easy to load up with a simple overhead thump and I love the feel of the rod while playing fish.

Ive used the affinity teamed up with an ultegra for 5 years now and I cant see me wanting anything else in the future. The only thing that would make me think about changing is getting a rod with the same amount of power and feel but is a hell of a lot lighter to hold in the hand.

By the looks of it im sure were on the brink of some rather exciting technology in terms of long rods from the continent.

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The time spent with someone helping you sort your cast out would stand you in good stead for using any rod Jim. If you have a decent OTG already you are only a very small step away from a pendulum.

The thing is that once you learn to cast and learn where the lead,arms and rod should be it is very easy to then adapt a cast for anywhere. The principles of getting the lead away stay the same and it doesn t always have to be a ful on pendulum cast for a decent fishing cast.....in fact far from it.

I don't cast on the tournament field anymore because I quickly realized that to gain extra yards meant spending an inordinate amount of time practicing which I just didn t have the interest to do. However the one thing that spending time with some of the country's best casters did teach me, is that you don't have to always use a full on tournament cast, but some elements of the cast can be adapted to great effect for fishing.

The type of reel is irrelevant, high reel multi or low reel fixed spool doesn t matter or any combination. The arms, body and rod position stay relatively the same. No way would I try a full on pendulum stood on the acropods tight to the wall at Marine Drive, but lay the lead out to the side in the air and hit it with correct arm position and rod tip down....boom ! , it is just a ground cast but with the lead in the air......easy once you understand lead position etc and easy to perform in the dark on a rock in driving wind and rain, you are as balanced as when overhead thumping.........it's the cast I use for just about all of my rock fishing, high reel fixed spool or low multi and mono. It works. 8)

Honestly invest a few hours with a casting instructor you will reap the rewards for years to come.

I don't know where you are based , if south of Scarborough I'm more than willing to spend a couple of hours showing you the basics. Shame our casting club The ECCC is no more as it was a great way to learn a better cast.
    If further North give arc on here a shout, Bob Collins (arc) is a very very helpful and knowledgeable caster and I know he has helped a good few lads on here. 8)

3. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Arc taught me the otg cast. I managed to double my distance using otg in a 3 hour lesson (albeit with a nice wind).

I find the long rod and fixed spool idea intriguing, however I am going to get some practice with pendulum, try and sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

I had a triplex, and found it a numb rod tbh, it caught me some fish right enough, but i now have a BB which is a more balanced rod and more tippy, i have used ultegras and a battle but im a bit heavy handed and have broke them both, the battle has been repaired and im using that now, but go back to multi for cliff work

5. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well, I've just purchased an ultegra 10000 xsc, some 60lb power pro braid, and i'm collecting a penn affinity twin tip tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to trying it out this winter, and I will feed back results

6. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Are you using the multi with braid on the BB Rich

7. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I got the penn battle and use it with braid. It was rich who recommended I get a fixed spool after I had a nightmare in the ship open. As a carp angler I am use to fixed spools and with a 3.25 test carp rad and 3oz lead can hit 120 yards no problem. With a beachcaster I struggle to get 80 yards but with the battle I think I have added a few yards

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

I've slightly read above comments and yes my first choice of rod and reel, mint. Red metal with shimano 10000 xsb. Never had a problem and with the right rig in putting a bait a very long way. But not as far as zippy and 525

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Whats your main Rock set up these days Paul ?

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Still mainly use multis Glenn I can get a bait out a lot further than with my long rod and braid

11. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is there any "knack" of using braid with a multi??? I tried it once and failed found it cuts into itself making it a nightmare when castin I put it on under tension which I thought would eradicate that to s certian point even when retriving my line and got caught up a bit tried to pull it through and could see it cutting in so just use a good quailty mono now but and advice is appreciated

12. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

plenty of people use it perry,

jeff walker can blast it out on his multi with whiplash

13. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if trying to pull out use a small piece of rubber on your reel just wind it on a bit the line cant dig in then

14. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

yes mate i had a go on drive the other night and only dropped about 10yrds on my cast using the multi, i need to practice more with it, deano tuned it up for me it casts very well

15. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think I've seen deano mention it before are you using the saltist and Chinese braid with it been a bit thicker

16. simon22

simon22 Rockling

To stop braid bedding in on a multi I load the braid onto a spare fixed spool then wind the braid onto multi under plenty on tenstion from thev fixed spool drag. If the braid goes on very tight I find no problems, but I always have a few casts with just the lead first so that the braid gets wet.

17. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

i,m also using an affinty 8000 and havnt found any faults yet.

i use 30lb braid with 80lb braid leader if i need a bit more distance or 60lb braid with 80lb for closer, heavier work.

i use my ttr.

to use it reel up i just add my reducer. but that means its over 15ft long and feels really heavy. with a fish on it just gets a lot heavier and not comfortable. i nearly gave up with it because of this.

ive been toying with the idea of using it reel down [without the reducer] and casting off my left hand.

where do you have your reel?

18. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use a afaw tourney rock I take a fixed spool and a multi with braid
    I use a Fuji sliding reel seat with electric tape up the rod to mark the fixed spool
    and tape with cricket bat rubber at the bottom for multi,on the multi I use the 40lb Chinese braid with 80lb mono
    shock leader and ive had no problems at all bedding in ect apart from 1 birds nest when I wound to much mag off
    me penn 535 mag the only down side is you need a good smooth strong cast as you are pulling braid of the spool as to appose
    to peeling off like mono does ive done full pendulems(just experimenting) with the braid and ariel otg but I just stick with a flat sort of pendulum,i soaked the braid in water before putting on the penn(works for me) ;D

19. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I just had a session with my new set up, and have to say that I am delighted.
    Last year I did the 66lb PP on old Abu 9000. Was OK, but I did not quite trust it really bang it out. Fine up to 100 odd yards, with a bit of care to keep an eye out for bedding in.
    Tried the Ultegra 14000 with same. Obviously line came off great, but I did not really like casting with such a big reel. And the finger strain/coarse feel, which made me nervous. Also, using 66lb, when a hooked 50lb snood was snagged, I snapped of main. Annoying.
    This year I have gone the 106lb PP on an Avet MXL, and that has sorted everything. Could not be happier. Lighter reel, casts really well (reckon I was hitting 130 odd with bait), felt confident, no noticeable bedding in and only lose end rig (not main, or shock) and can use a normal length shock leader (so much less jarring on cast than braid shock on FS).
    Early days, but could not be happier.

20. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

- Really smooth cast. Pendulum works.
    - Normal length mono shock.
    - smooth reel, with very little space between spool and cage.
    - take care to move line across spool smoothly, even with fish on or through snags.

- I wrap line four times round whole cage when pulling out.
    - on rocks, higher lb braid really helps. I have moved to 106lb from 66lb. That has made a big difference to last year. Was casting 130 odd yards with bait today, confidently, and zero issues. Last year, with 66lb was nervous about casting to distance marks, and only using for 80 odd yards and less.

- lighter was fine for field and smooth ground, but any snags/weed on way in could cause that bedding in and jerky following cast.

Hope some of that helps?