1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Big Fixed Spool Reels For Braid And Long Casting ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 30, 2013.

1. robq

robq Rockling

It does take a little getting used to but it is possible. the afaw rock is a powerful rod but has some give in the butt which makes it quite forgiving to cast with a braid leader

One thing I often do is use a 2 stage leader. 50lb mainline braid to a 100lb braid leader to a 5-6ft 60lb mono leader and then your rig.

This setup takes away some of the harshness during the cast of a full braid leader, and also gives the benefit of the extra abrasion resistance of mono right above the rig. they are a pain to tie as there are 2 knots involved, but they are easily tied at home and stored on an empty spool to save messing while fishing.

after 3 ringwraps the other day while using a full mono leader I am going back to the 2 stage leaders again for a bit !! I cant be doing with losing fishing time in a match !! Been for a practice tonight for an hour or so and 20 plus casts went away nicely with no issues at all

2. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for the replies will have to have a look at the afaw rock rod. That's a good idea with the leader ill have to try it

3. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Seriously considering changing to the fixed spool route this season.Always was a bit doubtful about the long floppy rod and fixed spool set up,but now ive seen how effective the fixed spool and braid works with a standard rock rod im willing to give it a try.I use a zziplex m427 with a 535 normaly but watched in envy as lads with the fixed spools sent a bait much further than me with ease and subsequently pulled in fish while we struggled. What strength braid do you lads use with the rock rod and fixed spool over heavy ground?

4. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Sooo .. anyway chaps ... back to "Which Big Fixed Spool Reels For Braid And Long Casting ?"

Is there a consensus here? A Penn or some suitable Shimano? (but not the 'Aero Technium 10000' which, at that price, should come with its own private beach)

5. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Casting wise i'd say the penn affinity, but it does flex alot under pressure i cant comment on the ultegra.

I'm not sure my penn will be up to the job for rock fishing might have to start looking but its a great caster.

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Shimano super ultegra 10000 , still going strong after 4 years abuse on all sorts of ground including Bemmo and Flambro cliffs. Closely followed by the Penn Affinity 8000.

Then for sheer balls the Fin Nor offshore 95.........not a refined reel but a very very strong fixed spool. :cool:

7. cps

cps Rockling

said that years ago when the redmetal boys started spouting how good they were
    when I tried one my cast got smaller
    still think the egg beater is the way to go or tide marks as the retrieve is awesome compared to a penn mag for instance for the first 40 yards when the spool is empty

as for the black and gold daiwas solid on a par with the penn ssms but casting reels they are not
    superb drag though used them on permit to 20lbs

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think where the confusion started was when someone who couldn't really cast a standard 13ft Rock rod...picked up a red metal or similar rod and put a good few yards on their cast. It didn't mean that everyone would put yards on their cast....like Chris says in some instances the long rod meant less yards. Fixed spool and braid is a different issue altogether to long rods versus normal length rods.

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I guess it depends on your staring point. If your chucking <150 yards you may gain some. If your casting >200 you may loose some. Not exact figures i know but basically if your a really shite caster they will help and if your a 200 yard plus man then they will likely hinder you.

10. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Why Fixed Spool and braid? I have been using braid on my multipliers for the last 3 years, thinner line = more distance, but retaining the strength. I use 50lb powerpro, and a 60lb mono leader, with no problems at all. Just a thought.
    Cheers Col.

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hit the nail on the head there Glenn. I think some would do better to spend a few hours with a casting instructor than on buying a long rod.

I found my distances dropped using braid on a multi......comparing 25lb mono on a mag 525 to 50lb braid, I think it is due to the braid having to be dragged off the spool whereas mono springs off freely.

12. Baramundi Bob

The long rod is an easy option Dave. Casting on grass, whilst fun and addictive can also be time consuming and very bloody frustrating when you get stuck at a certain distance. Also its often the case that the distance is not transferable onto the rocks. Balancing on a rock the size of a 10 bob bit and swinging a lead round your neck in a northerly gale in November is not so easy. A long rod, braid, and little effort and a crap caster is suddenly in the game.

I know its lazy but I understand why its happening.

13. robq

robq Rockling

Well said Glenn :)

A lot of feild styles are just not easily replicated when rock fishing. Big swings, long drops and big athletic body rotations are just not possible when perched on a slippery rock, as you point out.

However most field casters do have a good abbreviated fishing cast that work as they have an understanding of how a cast works.

Yes a long rod will give a poo caster yards and the same for lads with injuries who cant manage the pendulum.

I backcast over grass but rarely do when fishing as it doesnt suit most real fishin situations !

I watched a big ex tourny caster strap a fixed spool an braid on last sunday for the 1st time and smash a small crab bait getting on for 200 yds every cast with a full tourny cast :eek:

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I fully understand why the long rod route is taken by some Glenn, but it still remains that those same anglers aren't exploring the potential of either themselves or the gear they had in the first place. As Rob said part of learning to cast, and I don't mean tournament casting, just a fishing cast ,is to learn how to get the most out of the cast with little effort, due to timing and a number of other things not just smashing foook out of the rod. All of those things CAN be used on the rocks.

A few lads have been opening their eyes to the fact that, where they could once be certain of a fish or two in a match by blobbing , now they are losing out to the lads who can hit tide, so they then want those extra yards.........the lazy option will only take them so far. I know that they will carry on to be happy with the long rod route because it has taken them a few yards further.

Then there are those who also ignore the obvious inside line because of a battle of casting ego's , now who could I mean Rob ? TUT TUT....last week that cost you ::) ::) ;D So it's also important as has been discussed many times, to not get too wrapped in the 'distance is king' thoughts. ;)

Funny there was a massive explosion in the long rods.....a lot have just gone back to their old gear though. I wonder why?

15. robq

robq Rockling

Its an easy trap to fall into Dave !! Where you believe that every yard will buy you a fish lol

I caught as many codlings as those around me last week despite my injury and big drop in distance !!

If I had wanted to empty the sea of wrasse I Would have put a smaller hook an half a crab on a smallerhook and gone for it lol

Whats the point in a codling match though ;)

16. mardenq

mardenq Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ive been using a cheap Mitchell avocast 8000 and after four months its gave up and died.you mention the Fin Nor offshore 95 ,can you tell me what the reel is like size wise,i also have a ultegra 12000 that I use ,is the fin nor the same sort of size?.its to use with heavy braid for fishing the rock ends into heavy kelp here in Northumberland so don't need to cast a long way but a good lob is sometimes needed 40/80 yards
    cheers--peter

17. Baramundi Bob

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It's only about 5 years since the Red metal/Penn Affinity explosion hit our coast...........not many of them seen now though (other than a few turned into uptiders !)

Has the long rod vogue been and gone ?

Braid is still very much favoured but the long rods seem to have dwindled in numbers, is that because they were not up to the job ? Or is it just that there aren't any being made that are suitable for our ground ?

I ve got an Alcedo Modularis Surf......according to the Sea Angler review it is a stiff rod that needs an advanced cast to get into it ! I tried a half pendulum and I thought it was going snap it bent so much ! I ve used it on Anglesey and it will pull out double shots of doggies but I just can t get any distance with the thing as it just bends and bends and bends some more !

Braid will remain in my armoury but it will be strapped to a rod that I can cast in several styles, sometimes an overhead lob more often a half pendulum. The only change I'm thinking of from my AFAW Rock is to cut my AFAW big beach down from 14ft to 13ft as it will be a bit easier to cast with the softer tip, I'll see.

I still think anyone wanting to fish fixed spool and braid should just strap a fixed spool on there standard 13ft rod and go blast a few casts out......you might not need a long rod ;)

19. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Excellent bump this, I'm sat here contemplating a long rod and fixed spool purchase. Decided to go for a greys triplex but hadn't decided on a reel yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sounds bad, but this is exactly my thinking. I've got a decent otg cast, pendulum needs an instructor and some beach time as I've got it all wrong trying to do it myself. On a nice beach or an area with a decent space, I can get away nicely using an otg cast and hitting decent distances. But standing in the middle of a rocky area, middle of winter, howling gale, and getting frustrated that others around me have their cast sorted doesn't appeal to me. I'm a coarse fisherman before now, and fixed spool set up comes very naturally to me.

The answer is probably time on the beach, with a helpful hand, sorting the pendulum out. But I am intrigued about this long rod, fixed spool set up, and would probably find it naturally pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk