1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Big Fixed Spool Reels For Braid And Long Casting ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 30, 2013.

1. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice reels them penn affinity's jake,regards rods them afaw internationals rock !!,far better qlty than the greys,my pals just bought one & he rates it big time,casts amazing distances/great bite detection,has a lovely tip but not wandy like the triplexes.
    Cheers & all the bet,bigsi :cheesy:

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Si the international is a very light tipped rod (flatty) match rod, nothing like the tripplex...,, our lass won one in the European open, its now her flatty rod B-) only rated to 120g max.

Out of the afaw range one rod to look at for rough ground work, which she also won one of but sold :'( , is the 6+ bait 15ft mk2. Now that is a proper long rod with a nice tip but loads of guts in reserve.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive seen long rods really improve some anglers catches. Believe it or not Mike 33 was dreadful with a multi. 50 yards tops. Changed to long rod and his fishiness ability has come on tenfold.

Im still not sure if its the right route for me. CERTAINLY WONT BE CHANGING FOR MY WINTER FISHING.

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

That was what I said Glenn, they help a basic cast. That has been the revelation for a lot of people , the long rod took the casting issue out of the game. Then you enter a whole new debate......what about when you want extra yards for those tide fish ? :wink:

5. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

my Revue of akios scora 80 fixed spool .So I used my brand new akios scora 80 reel today in the Filey match winding just size mops in it struggled the whole body bends and flexes the spool flexes on the shaft as you wind in so the shaft will easily bend I really do think it could of snapped if I'd of got a 6lb plus fish so all in all a very poor reel for the money it felt more like a £30 reel rather than one over £100 very disappointed it looks the part but it certainly doesn't act the part and it wasn't even in heavy ground or being rough with it so back to the mint bomb proof penn battle for me then

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Thanks for the heads up Ben, i had thought about trying one of the Akios fixed spools, with the multi's being so good I d hoped that the fixed spools would be the same. Shame.

7. robq

robq Rockling

I saw a couple of penn affinitys wind some mint fish up some cliffs today :yes:

I will be having one or two of those when my ultegras give up the ghost !!

8. mick48

mick48 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have 2 penn affinitys Rob they do everything I have asked of them, got myself a akios cresta 100 to try think they are better built then the scora took it on boat other day but forgot to try it supposed to good with a 4,1,1, ratio

9. bigsi

Good solid reel them 8000's tried one my self, back on the multis now tho but highly recomended !!,cheers for putting me right jellyworm,never seen the internationals,just my m8's just bought one from keiths & said it woz pretty powerfull compared to some of the other long rods on the market.Not for me but each to there own an all that.i know the triplexes have a bit more grunt to them,but not a rod I would use myself,not for my style of fishing anyway.
    Kind regards bigsi.

10. cps

cps Rockling

are they metal bodys on them then ?
    I have a slammer live liner for boat fishing had it around 4 years and find it puts the tld lever drags to shame with both winching power and drag not though can be said of an ocuma longbow I have just about twists its self off the rod when winching a ball of weed in

11. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If you want a ruffy tuffy reel, try one of these if you can find one in the UK.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GoMgDGOnBI8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGoMgDGOnBI8

This mother will winch in almost anything.
    A bit agricultural, not the biggest spool in the world, but I would bet that it will still be working long after most other reels will be needing a lot of TLC.I managed to find two a few years ago, one for me for uptiding, and one or a mate, he uses it with a long rod/braid and gets really good distances.

The American charter boat skippers use them for just about everything.

Roger

12. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

I read this one with interest, personally my path through has me now with a penn battle, that is a proper cranking reel, i got rid of my triplex, as i felt it was numb and not very balanced, i watched in the ship open when we fished marine drive as meddy was throwing a bait alot further then me with my long rod set up, he was still using the fixed spool braid, but on a standard 14ft shore rod. as luck would have it deano had just come by a century carbon metal with reducer which was about 14ft, i had a chuck with it and easily pipped my best ever cast with my triplex, the rod was well balanced and felt better, needless to say i bought it and sold my triplex! it comes back to what dan was saying really, its more what feels comfortable and is balanced and works for you.

13. robq

robq Rockling

Not sure if they are metal body Chris ?? it feels more like a composite similar to my ultegras. one thing I will say though is that the line lay is superb :yes: its is at least as good if not better than the daiwa 6000t and it will add yards to your cast.

I like the thought of the battle or the finn nor for cliff cranking, but the narrow spools and poor line lay ( compared to the coned spool reels ) will cost you yards.

If the affinity will wind 5lbers up cliffs then its good enough for me !!

R. E the long rod/ fixed spool debate. Rich's thoughts are confirming what myself and a few others have been saying for a while, that they are seperate topics !

14. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Interesting post this one I to are thinking about giving the fixed spool reel with braid ago this winter but I want to know which would be best for cranking fish up cliffs. I know a fast retrieve would'nt be the best option for this I want winching power with a good line lay for casting. So I will keep reading this post for all your good advice lads.

Chris

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

Just out of curiosity, do any of you lads use the cannon release system and if so are they good or bad?? or is everyone still on the builders glove method :whistle: :happy:

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I tried one Mart, they do work but personally I didn t like the lack of 'feel' in the cast so I went back on the glove. £1 from the shop on the corner near Bills. :)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

17. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

How do people find casting with a heavy rock rod? I can imagine it beinf very harsh.

I may be after a new rod as I'm not sure if mine is up to it.

I use a 80 braid shock leader so all the stretch is in the rod

Thinking of a afaw 6 and bait or a bb (these do feel quite heavy weight wise)

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

Cheers dave,that's the answer I needed :wink: :happy:

19. onelove oneunited

onelove oneunited Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Shimano Aero Technium 10000 mgs. Its a big pit carp reel/long distance surf reel. Light as a feather, unbelievable line lay that adds yards to any cast and very very well built. The flagship of the shimano range.

Bad news is £700 new do well to pick one up on e bay for £400.

Tight lines

20. bigsi

I use an afaw tourny rock rod jake,can't fault e'm,powerfull,lightweight,superb bite detection(have a lovely responsive tip),use mine on clean beaches,mixed heavy ground,in the humber,it is a rod that will do anything I ask of it.I have had loads of rods over the years,greys appollo/nitras,conoflexes,centutry cme/tt match & got a zzippy but these afaw r something special,I really like these rods !!.
    Just my thoughts/opinions,regards bigsi :tease: :confused: