1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Big Fixed Spool Reels For Braid And Long Casting ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive recently seen how effective the braid option is in terms of rock fishing. Dans Skye tope comes instantly to mind and the lads seemed to be able to bang out big mackerel flapper baits with ease using this method.

For next summers ventures I aim to go down this route and would like to give some serious thought to the best reel for the job. I know Dan and Damo are using the Penn reel (unsure of the name). But recently I spoke to lawsey who had bought a reel which he said would outcast the Penn. However Dan says it wont have the cranking power of the Penn.

Would you long rod and fixed spool guys be kind enough to give me your thoughts on the best reel for the job listing pro and cons and saying why you believe the one you use is the best.

Please could you give links to the reels on ebay or angling shop website so I can take a look and check for best prices etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

If your after a strong winch for confers etc penn battle all the way if your after distance then diawa 6000t or fox stratos or penn affinity I've just bought a akios scora 80 it might be doggy do do hot or might be a sack of doggy do do we will see

3. Baramundi Bob

There seems to be a lot of different Penn battles Ben. Is there any particular size ? I want to get a big bait further out if possible.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/penn-battle

4. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have just bought a triplex on the cheap and after a large fixed spool to accompany it.

5. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Penn affinity 8000 or the surf blaster. They are practically the same reel the affinity it's slightly lighter.

Don't rate fox stratoses been through two when carp fishing and if they ain't up to that they certainly ain't up to sea fishing.

The new akios reels are nice however there just a copy of the penn's.

Don't look at the penn battle if you want distance you need a coned spool with slow oculation

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

Glenn, After using multipliers and short 13ft rods for many years, I switched to long rod and fixed spools and for a couple of seasons struggled with it, as it takes time to adapt, I kept switching back from multiplier to fixed spool and so on... I had a Penn Affinety Twin tip and Diawa 6000T for me niether were really up for the job, yes I did catch fish put always felt I was struggling, after losing a few good fish and final straw came in a Filey match down blea wyke after a few mops which came in easy I hooked something very special and simply struggled to reel it in and lost it on the edge of the steel as it went to ground, to say I was mad was an understatement as i knew I would of probably landed it with the backbone of my Zziplex and a proper reel on.. I now use a Century Black Bird and Penn Battle or Shimano 14000 XSB but would say the Penn Battle is the stronger of the two.. Its pulled in Jacks, Small Sharks and Conger and plenty of cod through the kelp...

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

My route with braid has been quite a long and expensive one but I ve finally settled with an out fit that I use for probably 90% of my rock angling now. I use a rod high reel position, rod rung for multi,. No ring wraps and no loss of distance. As Gary says the big long rods are ok to a limit then they struggle.

After many attempts rebuilding rods with diffetent guide sizes and positions I settled back to standard guides inspired by an article Dale Clemens wrote about wring wraps and guide positioning. There really is no need to use a fixed spool rung rod if using limp braids, which means one rod for either reel B-) I mainly use an AFAW rock but do occssionally swap to anafaw big beach or if backcadting a conoflex lionheart all multiplier rung with no issues with ring wraps or lost distance.
    The article by Dale Clemens is in his book custom rod building, he explains how critical the butt ring is when using fixed spools and how the size effects things....... With braid unlike mono fixed spool the line is limp so will travel through small guides, which explains why red metals etc have small guide sizes, just try the fixed spool on your multi rod, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised B-)

Reels, I ve used shimano super ultegra 1000 for 4 years now and although battered looking they have not missed a beat. I also been using a fin nor of95 and it is a proper tank of a reel, early days but it casts ok and is built to deal with abuse.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

8. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i use a shimano ultegra 14000XSC and penn affinity twin tip. ive had lots of fish on this setup. cod and ling to double figures and as glenn said that tope from skye.

personally i think its better to have balanced tackle rather that just a whinch as you are in alot more control when playing a fish.

i tries the same setup that jellyworm uses as i owned a AFAW rock rod before my long rod and hated it. felt like the rod was going to be pulled out of my hands when casting but that could just be me being a crap caster.

9. robq

robq Rockling

I will 2nd the shimano super ultegra 10000 :yes:

A very tough reel that will crank for england but that also has a good line lay and will cast a long way too

I have had a pair for 4 years now with no issues at all !!

I think the model I have is discontinued or renamed the c 14

http://www.tacklefanatics.co.uk/product/3471/shimano-ultegra-ci4-10000-xsa-reel.html

10. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

rob every year the model is upgraded slightly. its was XSA, XSB and now XSC.

the Ci4 is a lightweight model of the same reel.

Glenn i wasnt putting big baits out when i got that tope. i cut a fillet of mackeral in half and bound the two pieces together to make a tight compact bait no bigger than a normal cart sized bait.

11. rocker_chris

rocker_chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great thread - following this one with interest. I'm also planning an assault on the matches up here with a century blackbird and fixed spool. Out of interest what braid do you guys use and do you use a heavy leader?

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I use my usual mono shockleader and it works for me giving cushioning in the cast and also as a rubbing leader. I tried braid leaders but didn t like the harshness of the cast and smashed 80 lb braid leader on occasions, but its just down to personal preference I think. Some use heavier braids straight through but for me it negates some of the reasons I use braid.

If you look back with the search button you ll find lots of previous debates and the overall concensus seems to be...... Use what works for you B-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

13. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Wow,some good posts about this one !!.Regards reels the penn affinity's r a good reel as r the shimano's also the diawa's r a reliabe choice.Regards rods them greys r a match rod for sml delicate baits,don't think they will have the beef for 6oz leads & big bait ups blasted out @ range liable to be a 4pc rod @ the end of your trip.Personally I use & afaw rock rod,can't fault it ,& either a penn mag or daiwa saltist,both work for me & have never let me down.Berkley braid has a good reputation,I use it only on my little fixed spool for scratching/flatty bashing I use it with a mono leader just to give that cushioning/shock absorber effect,basically just gives u that bit of leeway.The triplex r a nice rod but r more suited to clean sandy beaches with 5oz leads not 6oz leads smashing big baits out into the thick kelp jungles or tackle hungry rocks/boulders.one thing with braid is that u sure know when u get a fish on !!Hope this is is of sum help buddy,
    Ps just my thoughts/opinions
    Kind regards bigsi

14. robq

robq Rockling

AFAW rock rung for multi with the super ultegra 10000 and 50lb power pro is my rock outfit for most of my rock angling now :yes:

Granted a lot of my fishing is daylight tide fishing at range, but I can easily chuck a multi with 30lb mono in my bag just in case the sea gets too heavy :yes:

I think too many poeple confuse the long rod / fixed spool and braid !! they are 2 different subjects :yes:

The f/s and braid can be used on a 13-14ft rod easily :yes: with a simple airialised groundcast or short flat arc pendulum you will outcast a long rod by a LONG way !!

15. Baramundi Bob

So what is the advantage of the long rod then ?

16. Borissped

Borissped Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Love my Shimano Ultegra 10 000XCS loaded with 80lb Berkley Whiplash Crystal, no need for a shock leader & as strong as an ox!

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Easy casting with a basic style............but the trade off is they run out of guts. I ve watched the long road used to great effect in matches with mops but Gary gives a perfect synopsis of what is lacking .....I ve got a long rod for my whiting match fishing but it won't be used where I stand the chance of a special fish....no way :cool:

18. robq

robq Rockling

I had a go on the casting field with the penn twin tip Genn. it ran out of steam at 208 yds with a light lead.

The shorter but more powerful rod is capable of bigger distances BUT needs a more refined style that puts the lead outside of the tip

The long rod offers a bigger arc with a more basic style, hence the attraction for some anglers :yes: however they soon run out of steam in some conditions and can be unweildly when casting from tight spots

19. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sum gr8 replies there lads,it's a subject that I find very intresting rigs,tackle/setups & the like,espesh with the wealth of knowledge on here.4 me the long rod/braid combo is all about the fun aspect/light fishing,gr8 fun with the hounds & ytin bashing !!.When fishing hvy seas where 6/7oz leads & big bait ups need blasting thru them n easterlies in winter then that combo is behond it's limits,that's where the powerfull 13/14ft rods come in.Same as fishing kelp/boulder strewn rocks where when u get a fish on u don't stop winding till u have landed it,the long wandy/soft rods just don't have the grunt to do so,yet come into there own on the clean sandy venues.I'm not saying there not capable of landing big fish because they r,just in the right cond & venues,with a little care.Likeing robs outfit,simlar set up to me,with my choice of reel been the penn mags/diawa saltist .End of the day it's a confidence thing & if it ain't broke don't fix it
    Kind regards bigsi :cry:

20. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think in the right hands the fixed spool will overtake the multi's with the new reels and braid with tournament casting.

i'm using a imax equinox 15ft and an affinity 8000 atm not tried it cod fishing yet but looking forward to it i'll use it till i snap it then i fancy a triplex, the century BB seems too heavy for a f/s (i might be wrong may need getting used to!)