1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheres best place for pike fishing

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by rich123, Aug 28, 2012.

1. rich123

rich123 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

wheres best place for pike fishing prefably take our own boat cheers

2. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Depends if you want quantity or quality. If you want plenty of fish but most being jacks loch ken. Quality look at getting on some of the rivers. Ure, swale but bank fishing. Like I say depending what your wanting and how far you want to travel.
    Mike

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

River Tees

4. jvh100

jvh100 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Where the pike are !

:laugh:

Sorry, Couldn't resist it. :embarrass:

The River Foss is good as is the Derwent near Stamford bridge.

5. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Believe there's a slipway off bowesfield on Stockton on the tees and on the Ouse above Linton it's on RAF land tho and there's a one below Linton lock, changing tack has anybody fished Dumfries and Galloway of late? Planning a trip upto woodhall loch in October of some pikey action?

6. bucko

bucko New Member

This post might be of use to you Matty.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12020.0

7. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Cheers bucko

8. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Here is another Pike report

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19946.msg174735;topicseen#msg174735

9. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good report that last one :embarrass:

10. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I fish both the Swale and Tees in winter for pike, usually between December and March (Though last year i got waylaid by chub fishing!). On the lower Tees, i would say it pays to keep an eye on match reports and the like, to try and locate the bream shoals. I keep hearing about the 60's doing well at Bowesfield.....

Most of my piking is done on the middle Tees, with all my fishing done within 5 feet of the nearside bank. I tend to travel light, dropping a deadbait into any likely looking hole or under nearside trees etc. I spend no longer than 15 mins in each swim - i've found if you are going to get a bite, it happens pretty quickly - they dont mess about. If you have the patience to use a float, please do because it's an exceptional way of pike fishing. Out of the blue your float will lie flat as the pike picks up the bait, followed by a couple of bobs and then it usually sails away. You need to hit them pretty quickly, dont mess about leaving them run for ages.

There's lads on here who do exceptionally well on the Tees with a good number of 20's - not me unfortunately, but it's good fun and you can usually expect to catch a fish using the above tactics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Depends on where you want to travel, IMO the best places are the drains near driffield. Local i'd go on the Tees or scaling dam.

12. mike_t

Scaling dam?? I know there are like in there but are many coming out, I know of a 17 getting caught years ago but was killed. I had two jacks again years back but never heard of anything really coming out.

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

ive a few old maps of loch ken use to fish there a lot years ago also use to lomond & Awe my Ken PB is 25.7lbs tightlines Alain

14. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

castle howard pike are massive not sure if you can fish it now
    i remember a brace cuming out at 37lb and 38lb and im sure there was a 40lber at one time :yes:

15. mike_t

Castle Howard was only if you were stopping on camp site. Did do so good fish but thats before it was ruined. Still chance of a 20 in there.
    Loch Ken fish fight harder than any other pike I have caught, have a video somewhere of a 15lb tail walking, started filming as the float started to go. But now its packed with Jack's