1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to go for big cods - Scotland?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by pavel1983, Apr 24, 2013.

1. pavel1983

pavel1983 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi, recently someone wrote that he was at Shetland and had great fishing time with decent size fishes. Because it so hard to get it closer (I'm from East Midlands) I was thinking about some farther trip onto the north. Going to Norway is too far, so Scotland looks tempting.
    Anyone can recommend any place where big fishes are still easy to catch? Won't go too far to north, as far as needed. Anyone been there and tried? How it looks there - u get place on boat with skipper, or like in Norway - rent a boat and go on ur own? Any ideas, articles?

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Shetland really looks like the place to be. I worked it out to be faster to get to Thailand. Some good fishing around Arbroath but I havent seen anything massive from there.

3. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=1521

4. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=1131

5. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

not really that bad Glenn, 6 hours to Aberdeen then the overnight ferry so you arrive either rested or with a hangover depending on your choice :laugh: Simon Everetts up there now with kayaks so might be an interesting report coming.

6. Baramundi Bob

Its a 14 hour ferry though Dave isnt it ?

7. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Says they bailed due to bad wearher on Facebook?

8. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

just been have a look on are website MADSAC.AND SEE FOR UR SEN

9. STRICKY

STRICKY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

quality fish dave where else we gonna get bbig uns like them these days

10. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hopefully these are the right pictures of dave blake with his huge ling & pete andrew & stevie after their recent shetland trip 1st two photos are the monster bait [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

More pictures [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Baramundi Bob

How big are them coalies ?? thats what I want on a spinning rod.

13. Baramundi Bob

Just shows you what the fishing could be like. Puts Whitby to shame really.

14. STRICKY

STRICKY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

loads over 10 lb glen , best was 15lb 10oz, the 2 being held ip were used as bait for ling.. :crazy: hard work in 350 ft

15. stevie62

stevie62 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It was a long way to travel, 370 miles to aberdeen,14 hours on ferry to shetland,and then another 50 miles drive broken by a second ferry crossing to yell,but would do it again tomorrow[24 hours door to door]. It cost about £450 each[4 sharing fuel,cabin,vehicle,]2 days charter and 2 nights in cullivoe community centre.It was the first time i had fished with gummi-makks and they accounted for my pb ling 19 lb and coalfish 15lb 10oz on same drop,Quality and quantity.

16. pavel1983

pavel1983 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

stevie, could you say that all charter boats are same good, or there could be some better than others - a little recommendation :) Any recommendation about where to stay - accommodation? (not too far from port where boat stops, after a couple a drinks over night could be risky to drive any further :)
    Due to the costs I was thinking about up to a week trip, and also try a shore lure fishing.. Within a week is more chance that we get good weather days..

About the gear - 50lb boat rod looks very light when looking at that catch :)

17. stevie62

There are 2 main charter boats [that we looked at] based in the shetlands,MV KAILEE based on shetland and oberon based on yell the next island up. We chose oberon because they have been doing quite well with the turbots as well as other species ling upto 52lbs,coalfish to 29 lbs, cod to 36 lbs and pollock to 18 lbs also halibuts,common skate,hake and angler fish amongst others. Although it took an extra hour to get to cullivoe we were also alot closer to the wrecks and reefs of muckle flugga[an extra hour each way cruising time].We booked a package of boat and accommodation [local community centre]£105 per day and was well happy.The skipper kenny graham is an ex-international fisherman an all round nice guy who,s very helpful and knowledgeable.We took a vehicle over with us because we all have 56 litre icey-tek boxes but kenny will pick you up at lerwick for a £35 charge return. If there are 4 of you i recommend you take a motor because theres only one bar on the island 16 miles from digs[no need to worry about police on yell there isnt any] or if fishing is called off you can get around.We asked about shore fishing but was told the fish dont need to come in close as theres plenty bait off-shore and thick kelp to 100 yards.I fished a 30/50 rod and could have got away with 20/30 but theres allsorts swimming around up there,i wanted to be on safe side.I hope this helps a little bit pavel do some research online[put oberon and kailee into scottish sea fishing site and there are plenty of reports.

18. Baramundi Bob

Dont believe the fish dont come in shore. It will be stuffed believe me.

19. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Lets not forget what can be caught down here off whitby this wasnt the 1970ss or 80ss or 90ss it was 2010 there is still some fabulas fishing here at whitby massive catches at times what do not get publicized here once over big coalies were common and 30lb ling plus were regular the thing about shetland is its getting stocked from the atlantic an extremly windswept place i worked up there no trees on any of the islands the lads have had some cracking fishing there .

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17925.0

paul.

20. stevie62

Totally agree paul, i have had some cracking days fishing whitby mostly with yourself but also other boats when you werent available and have only been sea fishing 5 years so dont remember the so called days of plenty. Shetland is a very bleak and at times windy place with no trees as you say, We were lucky we got 2 good days weather but 3rd day was called off due to windy conditions. Am not into shore fishing glen but like most anglers have seen that clip of a bloke and is son on a loch up there pulling a 20 pound cod in[think its on planet sea fishing?] and after that they say they were swamped with shore anglers who fished it out.So they could be saying its crap to discourage shore fishermen.