1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to fish that wont cost me 100 leads.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by wabby, Sep 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. wabby

wabby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Any suggestions on where to sneak an early cod or three out, that won't loose me 100 leads.

I need somewhere that I can use a grip lead, without too much risk of loosing hundreds - IE not off the scars etc.

Or do I just man up, get some crap leads and join the rotten bottom crew? (Never fished this way before btw, so please be gentle)

2. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Whitby West pier on a dying sea, should give a chance of a Cod or two, without heavy tackle losses.
    Cheers Col.

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Try the Rabbit Holes at Sandsend off the cliff top , pick a decent sized tide start around 1.5 hrs before HW and fish it a LONG way
    back , a bit of sea on , colour in the water , peeler crab on your hook and you WILL be in business ----- I would not worry about
    losing leads , very often you are losing leads but getting fish not a bad trade off --- Ive heard people say I like so and so because
    you don't lose any leads , but many a time they weren't getting any fish

4. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if I were you, I would use rotton bottoms anywhere along our stretch.
    No need to be all complicated about it. In fact, best to keep things to bare minimums.
    Go get some 1.6mm garden stainless wire, and make up some of these (2" bent into shape) -
    Fish them pulley, with no beads, etc., like this, sinker hanging off Pear link.
    10-20lb link mono.

Incidentally, grip leads can help not to lose leads, certainly in deep kelp and over ground with holes and crevices?
    Good luck.
    Ben

Attached Files:

5. krysb

krysb Blenny

you sneaky fooker wabby!!

drop me a txt mate, im heading up IN THE SAME DIRECTION in the next couple of weeks to snick a few out before the frosts get here mate!!!!
    so may be worth jumping in one car!

6. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Im surprised noone told you to man up.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Silver Fox

Silver Fox New Member

you don't even lose that many leads off the scars. I fished the other night in some fairly heavy ground and only lost 2 leads, that's about £1.20. when you think about it, we pay a fortune for bait and are quite happy chucking £12 of worms away when we fish so a couple of leads isn't much really. As said earlier, if you want to catch cod, unless you are on the beaches you have got to expect to lose a few leads

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Rotten Bottom Rig

simple "manned up" way for rotters.

other methods on site/net ie: inverted sinker link etc etc.

hope it helps.

9. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i use 6oz grips even in the rocks, better for the lead to hold in a fashion in rough rather than using a lead that rolls into a hole or crevice with no chance of recovery. When i get to 3 or 4 losses on a mark then i cast either side (hoping) for a better outcome. when i know i got fish on i try to let the fish pull the lead out on retrieve if possible. even better, a couple of marks i fish it is possible to return on a good low even if it is 3am and go lead picking !

• Like Like x 1
  10. wabby

wabby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like I might just give it a go then, fishing as I normally would and adapt/change if required.

Cheers guys.