1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Where The Hells The Fish ??" - Is NOT being content the key to success????

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Aug 29, 2013.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

This is about fishing in general and I am just using the Mull as an example...

After reading Glenns post on the Mull, had me wondering what has happened to the Mull, are we expecting far too much..?

I have fished the Mull for many years now and just to be up there with or without a fishing rod is great and without doubt it is a special place, had some wonderful memories and hope to have many more.

I think sometimes though I am guilty of wanting it to produce its treasures every time I cast a line, but in reality that's not going to happen all the time. I know what the Mull is capable of and hope one day it will give up its goods again..

I cant help thinking its my own greed which spoils it for me, for example am i really happy with a couple of bass, no I want a dozen, a 4lbers not that special I want a 6lber.

Not a good session on the Pollack unless I have had 20+ with one or two between 5-7lb, A few conger is not that great unless they are in to double figures.... Why after awhile do we start to think like this?

Wasn't fishing much more enjoyable when we were over the moon, when we caught a Bass or a Pollack or a Conger regardless of its size.

I guess that's why I enjoy taking and showing people what the Mull has to offer, In the last few years we've had Lee, Andy, Dav, John and a few others and its great to see the enjoyment through them, seeing them catch there first Pollack or Bass, watching them struggle to get a Conger moving and I think back how much I enjoyed it when I was in there shoe's...

Its sad that we put such expectations on such a lovely place and on ourselves for that matter..

I guess anyone who is well into there fishing knows its like a drug, you need more and more to give you that high and the first time was the best, we spend lots of money on shiney new lures or rubber jellys and new toys, hoping to get that feeling once again...

I guess its a flaw in the human race, but then again if we didn't have the desire to better ourselves we would still be living in caves and not have accomplished very much... Will we ever be totally content or is not being content the key to success???

Whats your thoughts??

2. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Is NOT being content the key to success????

For me if you are content fishing becomes boring. I enjoy the challenge!

The Mackey bashers who are fishing day in day out amaze me they don't get bored catching them in there hundreds (0bviously it's different if your collecting bait)

Each to their own I guess

3. Groyne

Groyne Guest

It's the four stages of fishing Garry.

1st stage is to catch the most.

2nd stage is to catch the biggest.

3rd stage is to catch the wiliest.

4th stage is to just enjoy the day. :yes:

All that bobbing up and down yesterday must have mellowed you out. Has the floor stopped moving yet?

Did you get much yesterday Jake?

4. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Im a bit in the middle on this one.sure, I enjoy the challenge of bigger and better fish.but im just as happy catching the smaller stuff.
    Just being out there, shore or yak, does it for me.
    It is called fishing not catching after all! LOL

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

0Yeah I think we expect too much Garry. I always try to remember that there are lads out there who will have caught less fish over the last decade than we have in a week.

We were in the right place with the right gear at the right time. Only the fish failed to turn up. I always keep trying till I climb up the cliff as I believe anything can happen when your fishing venues like the mull.

I struggle as part of a group when members of the group get disheartened and stop fishing and sit with negative comments every ten minutes. Its off putting a d the negativity subconsciously effects the rest of the group until everyone stops trying. Then you have a group of six lads sat staring at the sea and only one of them is fishing and only half heartedly at that. When that happens your never going to catch the big one that you came for.

A couple of years ago all our group was mad keen and nothing would stop us fishing hard. Maybe the lads had it too good and now aren't up to the task. Many times this year on kayak and shore I've seen the lads sat not fishing and saying "this is *hit".

I think the poor fishing could be because we expect far too much and just give in. Or maybe some lost interest all together.

I often think people haven't thought the scenario through when they sit and don't fish. What are their options ?? Go sit in the cottage and stare at the walls ? Go to the pub (you can do that at home every day of the week). Change venue? Where it might be just as bad and by the time you vet there you have missed the tide

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk 2

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

That's a good question Gary, doing something different , trying the new mark , can I do this , try that , what if I ? Is what I have done a hell of
    a lot of and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way , I just couldn't have settled into the 3 or 4 mark routine BUT even that can be trying at times , I suppose we all expect to much at times , guess its part of being human , then of course time can play tricks , --- We always got a load
    of fish at such and such a mark , well I never ever fished that mark ! I fished marks that were very reliable . but like a Rolex watch -- NO
    As I fished as a youngster on Saltburn Pier around 60 years ago , remembering the pier was twice as long , with a nice sea running in the winter
    I have still heard the shout go up --- Where the hells the fish

7. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Helli mate. Imo you are right to a point. But if I go to the mull its a 7hour trip and then not to get many or big fish is a bit of an anti climax. Dont get me wrong I love the country side and the veiws and would not give that up for anything. But that onw big fish or that hour when everytime a lure or bait is put out resuilts in a fish is what I think we all go fishing for in the end

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

The thing is expectation. We expect to much, we push the bar to high at times only to end up disappointed. We put demands up on ourselves to catch more and more and bigger fish. You want the people you are with to experience the great fishing that it has given in the past and feel let down and even guilty that it did not produce the quality of fish or fishing that you have experienced and told them all about... I personally find it a hard pill to swallow at times.. But because you feel so strongly about succeeding and trying to make it happen is what has given you that great fishing in the past because if you were not pushing to succeed you probably wouldn't have caught the quality or the quantity so its a double edge sword..

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I find the mull an exciting place, but I feel it lacks beauty in terms of the coastline. What I find exciting is the fishing potential, scenery is average at best, In my humble opinion.

10. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

This is one of those thread's that probably applies to the majority of the male population/and probably a lot of women too(i'd have been in bother there if I didn't give em a mention :scare:)...and you are dead right we all try to beat our own standard's whether it be fishing or any other sport that's why record's get broken year after year,we need to go faster/higher/stronger...etc,seem's we are never satisfied with our success,must go back to the cave man thing it cover's so many area's in life,when you do reach the ultimate in your life and you cant possibly better it,we simply move on to pastures new....otherwise we become bored it seem 's we need that challenge to keep us going..well most of us there's allway's the other half that just goes with the flow and they are the one's that will allway's underachieve....that's life :wink:....mick.

11. robq

robq Rockling

Great post Gary :yes:

I think its something that all time served, experienced anglers go through !! As other lads have said its part of human nature too

when I was a kid I used to get so excited to just catch a codling !! I used to live and breathe it :yes:

then as you get older and have a few decent seasons and good sessions you start moving the bar up !! all of a sudden you are dissapointed with just a few mops :whatever:

I think its all relative really and I believe we need a few blanks and lean years to give us a real perspective :yes:

I laso think too many lads look back 10 years + and think things were ALWAYS better with a lot more fish !! But as Alan says its just not the case !! I can remember a lot of lean years :whatever:

12. Charliepat

Charliepat Blenny

To me,it's the whole package.
    It's daft o clock at night,your on a dark lonely beach looking for yellowtails or razors.
    You prepare them for your next or later sessions.
    You,ve got your traces all tied and reels loaded and bag packed.
    Your on your favourite mark be it stupidly high cliffs, a rough rock mark,or a storm beach.
    You let fly with your expensive rod and reel and send that lovely bait out into the dark,deep water,hopefully without a snap off.
    Patiently waiting for that bite,sometimes they don't come,but maybe you might bag up!.
    That is the magic of this sport we continue to take part in,and for many it's a way of life.
    I cannot imagine not going fishing,even if I only catch little ones,its worth it.
    You meet other people who no matter what,are all doing the same thing in their own way,and its great to see young kids trying to out fish dads or brothers etc.
    So no matter what we expect,or what we don't catch,we will keep doing it because we love it. :yes:

13. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good post summed it up for me

14. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

simple question, Was it better than being at work ? if answer yes then where's the problem, if answer no then your a sad f'ck. simple realy forget about amounts and size just enjoy being there doing it :yes:

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Sounds about right mate- often taking the pressure off yourself allows great things to happen.
    Years of salmon & sea trout fishing soon teaches you that.

16. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think salmon anglers are a different breed mate we know were gonna blank alot but it never stops us once youve had that experience that take the buzz after fighting and landing a salmon on the fly or a seatrout in pitch dark its like a drug habit youl keep at it until you get it again and again. And the fact it takes you to some of the most fantastic rivers and scenery is an added bonus. Love it

17. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The mull of galloway is a amazing place and have had the most amazing holidays there almost yearly since i was born. Ain't been for a long while since 2005, August bank holiday weekend, when my father caught a 40lb tope from the shore, last cast of the trip, on the Sunday. It always throws up a surprise and thats what its about and why we all love it. The last time he has picked up a rod too, went out with a bang, properly known by most on here during the 80's/90's on the match scene.
    Speaking of expectations, today I had a few hours spare before collecting the missus from work and some bait to use up, went to a pretty local easy spot to Blyth riverside. Is like fishing kiddies corner at Whitby but with your car next to u. After catching 2 Mackerel on rag I was like the pied piper. I has 6 lads about 12 years old around me asking questions and was baiting them up and never even had a line in the water after that. Spent 3 hours there and used my own bait and traces, teaching them what to do. They caught loads(almost evry cast) and loved it. That's the most satisfying day I have had fishing in years. I expected a few hours sun bathing and chilling catching billet and flounders and worked out a lot better.

18. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Full credit to you mate,it's a pity there aren't a few more like you there would be a lot less trouble in our town's/city's :yes: it seem's fishing bring's the best out in people....well done bud......mick. :wink:

19. GJW

GJW Rockling

Sounds fantastic, That's what I mean, if you had caught a few Billet and the odd Flounder whilst having a relaxing afternoon it would of been good but nothing to set your heart racing. But to see them youngsters full of excitement and enthusiasm and hunger to catch, gave you great satisfaction far more than a few billet and a couple of flats ever would... I hope them youngsters go on to join a club and enjoy all that sea angling has to offer.. For me that's when I had so much and dedication and enthusiasm was during the early years of club fishing, I remember almost buzzing with excitement every Sunday waiting to get picked up for the fishing match... You say your father fished matches back in the 80/90's What was his name?

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah ive found turning to the seatrout in the dark certainly learns you how to blank gracefully. :laugh: :laugh:
    Altho in the same respect it also learns you how to concentrate to the highest degree and when it all comes good your over the moon with a 1lber .and when a big un comes well it makes you .
    Seatrout have been my saviour over the years in mixing it all up....certainly one of , if not the most wiley and difficult fish to catch .