1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHERE DID THOSE YEARS GO TO

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Apr 24, 2015.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I was just thinking the other day its 50 years come July since I first started Cliff Fishing ----
    In those days I only had a motor bike a 650 cc BSA , it was a lovely day and decided to have
    a go at Whitby , things were only slow so I thought I would call it a day , as I approached
    Sandsend I could see the cliffs and started thinking , I pulled into the car park at the foot
    of Lythe Bank , and just sat on my bike looking at the cliff and wondering , well curiosity got
    the best of me so I thought I would have a scrounge [ The only time I had been on there was on the old steam railway as a kid ] I made my way along the old rail track and came
    to the area which is now known as the rabbit holes , I tackled up and it wasn't long before I
    had a bite , I ended up with 7 codling nothing big but all size and very welcome , straight
    away I felt an affinity with fishing off the tops , I was gut hooked as I am today 50 later --
    love it

2. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Times goes fast cliff remember the 70ss fishing on the rabbit holes sea streak reel 35 lb golden marlin line like rope but it was alive with fish great to look back you,ve seen the good days mate which in my book is very special .

Paul

3. J.R.HARTLEY

J.R.HARTLEY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Its great to recall the days that realy mean things as you look back in time, mine is when i was a lad and when there was a big sea on we would go down to harry broughs tackle shop in redcar and get a packet of tail ends and fish redcar beach at half tide back it used to be the hot spot in the early 70s peaple would travel hundreds of miles to get a spot on the beach when conditions were right now no one even thinks of fishing there any more because the fish dont turn up there no more :(

4. Geoff_Jubb

Geoff_Jubb Blenny

You should right a book, not just about fishing but also the things you have seen and how they have changed over those 50 years.
    I've read loads of your posts and found them really helpful or interesting.
    You can self publish electronic books now really easily.
    I'd pay to read it.

5. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

where indeed alan :) just thinking of your martin on the cliffs at eyemouth with nelson, minnie, an george fond memories :) dryboroughs open

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

At times I sometimes think its not to helpful to think to deep on things , it could drive you
    mad OR is it just me ?

7. robq

robq Rockling

Its scary how fast time flies :eek:

Im 45 this year and the older I get the faster it seems to go !!

When I was a kid xmas seemed to take forever to come around ::)

I love hearing your stories and killers too about the glory days Alan :)

Although i was a keen angler from an early age when the fishing was good, it took me a lot of years to afford the transport and bait to get fishing in good areas and then by the time my skills and experience had got to a decent level the best years were gone :(

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I am back up at Eyemouth in early May for a few days [ Courtesy of the SUN holidays ]
    as you say memories ! I would love that weekend competition to make a comeback , I was fishing
    the big match up there [ Near the old outfall pipe near bird Island at ST ABBS ] I was with my old
    mucker Sparrow , I was on a small outcrop got a load of slack line a couple of times -- Wondered what the hell was going on , had a hell of a tug of war and pulled a Conger out about 25 lb I had never caught one before , water was all around us panic set in , it chomped through my line as it was gut hooked and our best efforts couldn't stop it sliding back into the sea , I couldn't believe what
    had enfolded in front of my eyes ! luckily I caught a cod of 11 Lb 5 oz and another of 3 lb + and
    ended up winning the Saturday event ---- Happy Days

9. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yep, love your posts Big Cliff.
    Always a treat when I find myself fishing next to someone of your generation and hearing the stories of monsters and little know marks.
    Ben

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Another little story about fishing the Eyemouth Festival --- I guess it was around 1970 I was fishing
    the mark I mentioned in the other post , A real GENTLEMAN called Les Johnson sadly no longer with us --- Came over towards me to have a cast now the area is holes , kelp and boulders , and
    Les managed to find a hole the only problem is he didn't see it , he had a bucket with a load of peelers in one hand and his rod in the other all of a sudden Les had all but disappeared , his arm
    with the peelers shot straight up in the air a bit like Excalibur , he came out like a drowned rat , but
    never lost a crab , and went on to land a few cod -- A STAR