1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did the flounder go ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Terry Jackson, Feb 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Political-News/Where_the_Flounder_Go.html

Once a popular fish with anglers, particularly youngsters and new-comers (and not so new-comers as well!) and a mainstay of many angling competitions, the once abundant flounder, especially in the estuaries, could be a fish to be relied upon for some sport, and sometimes for the pot as well.

But in recent years anglers have been left scratching their heads at their virtual disappearance from so many venues with many theories being put forward for their apparent demise from the Recreational Sea Fisheries.

2. macky

macky New Member

Hardly any in the humber this year m8

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

This is something me and Lobbers talked about before. They are dissapearing everywhere. Commercial fishing ? , anglers ? or other factors ?

4. mww

mww Rockling

I've heard opinions that both the Humber & Cumbria are suffering from trawling of flounders for pot bait - not sure how true it is, but heard the same from separate, normally reliable sources in both areas.....

Mart

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Bad news if its for bait Mart as there are so many other things they could use, although I have heard they are very effective

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Thats spot on mart,i know for a fact they trawl them for potbait at Fleetwood as the place i work buys plenty each winter for local fisherman for using in pots.Sad thing is,i know the price we pay and its next to nothing,so what the seller we buy them off is paying for them can't be next to nothing.When i take my sisters young lad whiting bashing in our club comps,we get maybe 2 between us a session if were lucky.These only come from a couple of marks as well,2-3 years ago we were getting them in pulpit on the Brigg,now it seems to be dabs,as with everywhere.

7. Acko

Acko Rockling

I go shrimping in the summer with a home made net (Onion bag) I have noticed the last few years less and less small flatties Used to always get loads of em. At the same time I noticed the pipe fish becoming more abundant. I dont know if thats owt to do with the flatties dissapearing probably not.
    But something Strange is going on isnt it?