1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing Where Can We Launch our Boat Please ?? Whitby To South Gare - Slipways

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Redneck Dek, Apr 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Redneck Dek

Redneck Dek Blenny

Now then all,
    Me 2 fishing buddies have just got a 16ft boat to get out a bit further than we can cast!
    Any advise on slipways(public or private)and safe parking and likely marks to go to.
    We usually fish anywhere from south gare to Whitby so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers Dek.

2. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

They could join the gare marine club, it's £85 a year (a bit more for the first year) & launch as many times as you like.Where are they based.

3. Redneck Dek

Redneck Dek Blenny

Cheers bud,we are based Richmond/Catterick so only 45 mins away(depending who is driving!).
    Have seen some threads on here re.joining the club.
    Thanks again Dek.

4. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

If you go down the boatyard on a weekend have a chat they will sort you out, there's a bit of an interyiew then it's put to the next monthly meeting to see if anybody objects. Pretty straight forward as long as the boats okay and you've got the basic safety gear. I'll pm you a mob number for one of the committee lads have a chat and he'll explain it better than me.
    Trev

5. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

I'll pm you if somebody can explain to me how to do it since the site upgraded, otherwise send me a mob number and I'll text it. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  6. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Philistine

Funny that, I thought your name was Trev

Sent him Al Daniels phone number, he should be able to sort him out

7. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

8. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

I resemble that remark.

9. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if you want to use both Marske & Saltburn slip way access to the beach

care needed as sometimes jet skiers/surfers/dog walkers etc park on slip sometimes

restricting your ability to gain access back up to roadside.

unless you have local knowledge of "soft" sand areas you may come unstuck

when launching, many 4x4 become "bogged" down.

as Bri says try gare, more solid launching slip way etc etc.

Grove used to be ok but recent laying of rock armour have made

access not as straight forward as it used to be.

• Like Like x 1
  10. navmanfish

[​IMG]

marske slip way

11. navmanfish

[​IMG]

saltburn slip way

12. navmanfish

[​IMG]

ariel view of boat park/launch area down Grove

13. navmanfish

14. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

If you've not familiar with launching I would suggest using Whitby. With the slip being up the harbour it is a well sheltered easy launch with car parking just off the top of the slip. As a rough rule of thumb as long as you don't try using the slip 2hrs either side of low water you shouldn't have a problem. The other positive for Whitby is you don't have to go far to find fish. It's very rare that I need to go more than about a mile or so out and fish between Robin Hood's to Runswick. Over the years I've had my fair share of cod in the 8-10lb class best being 18.5 lb. Most cod tend to be in the 2-5lb class as well as them we've had pollock, coalfish, whiting, ling, pouting, wrasse, dogfish, gurnard,mackerel and flatties.
    The only downside to Whitby is the launching and parking fee of around £22 payable at the harbour office. If you intend having an early start take you money in an envelope with your boat, car and personal details on it and pop it in the harbour office letter box. Leave a note in your car window saying that you've done this in case a jobs worth tries giving you a ticket. By the time you get back you'll find the permits under your car's wipers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Redneck Dek

Redneck Dek Blenny

Thanks everyone for your help and some useful info to boot
    Cheers Dek

16. brian carragher

17. Redneck Dek

Redneck Dek Blenny

Going to the cafe on Saturday bit of form filling etc meet the boys and should be on the water soon.
    Nice 1 Bri & ingoe,navman

18. brian carragher

Good cafe in there, get yourself one of their breakfasts, good grub and cheap

19. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

What type of boat is it bye the way, mines 16.5 ft and dead easy to launch down there, worth having a few practice launch and recoverys to get used to it. (Bri's right about the brekkies)

20. Redneck Dek

Redneck Dek Blenny

About similar with a bit of a cabin at the sharp end with a mariner 60 at the blunt end;)
    Looking forward to me breakfast:)