1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When's the next Kayak safety day?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by craigyb, Jan 21, 2014.

1. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As title, hoping to buy my first yak in the next few weeks ready for the spring/summer. I'd like to get on a course and learn the basics of safety before anything else. Any other advice you can give would be greatly received.

2. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I know a Rya instructor if that any help.

3. craigyb

Could you send me some contact details please

4. andym

andym Rockling

Get in touch with Ken or Fi at wet &Wild or pm them on here be even better with a few newbies a great way to fast track

5. Depending on where you are in the country

Liam at AS Watersports (Exeter)

www.aswatersports.co.uk

Cheers

U

6. craigyb

Cheers lads. I will be going to see ken and fi soon to buy a drysuit and a few other bits so will ask them about it then.

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes mate my advice is Ken and Fiona at 1st wet and wild. maybe if you buy your Kayak there youll get onto the course at Runswick as Ken runs it.

8. craigyb

Cheers Glenn, I've already got a yak lined up with nearly all the extras I'd want to add :) will be buying the rest of the stuff I need from there.

Any recommendations on a dry suit? Around 300-350 mark?

9. andym

andym Rockling

Gul scapa for that budget would be spot on the next organised safety course as far as I know is first weekend in July but think ken may put something together beforehand

10. Typhoon Max B..lots of Kayakers use them (good for broad chaps) :-[

You should also be able to get a one piece fleece included for that price....I did from fi

Cheers

U

11. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Where abouts are you from Craig??

12. craigyb

Wakefield

13. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

PM for you

14. craigyb

Cheer mike

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Give me a shout on here via pm or through Fi in shop and we'll get you out for an afternoon :)

We will be running the BCU kayak fishing safety course again at the Runswick Kayak Fishing Festival as normal, first weekend in July, details will be announced shortly.

http://wet-and-wild.co.uk/coaching

Ken

16. craigyb

Ken that is great, thank you very much for the offer, I will let you know when I have all my gear. I will be attending the runswick course without a doubt :)

17. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

When I first got my yak I spent a day at Runswick on a flat calm day. I practiced falling of and getting back on in the safety of the shallows. No fishing gear just get comfortable with Yak. There are a lot of good you tube clips. Only push the limits are far as you are comfortable with-every one has a different Limit. Middle aged unfit fat blokes (like me), carnt do the same as a fit 20 year old. Too many people just buy the gear without practicing a self rescue, and head of into the North sea. Be safe the fish come later.
    Regards
    John

18. craigyb

That's my intentions, to have one or two sessions at least just getting to grips with paddling and getting back on. Then mike-t has offered to take me out fishing :D

19. andym

andym Rockling

If you want some company on your first launch give me a shout if I'm available I'll come along if you'd like

20. craigyb

Cheers Andy, appreciated pal :)

I'm picking the yak up next Saturday morning and should have all my gear for the following weekend. So I will be ready for a dip in the sea anytime after that :D