1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When The Fishing Bug Leaves You

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 30, 2011.

1. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Crikey ! Do people really go fishing just to escape from crap TV programs ? That is sad. :laugh:

2. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am 60 this year, and have been fishing in one form or another for 50 years, and can honestly say that I have never lost the bug, ever.I even managed to keep it up when I was in the army, fishing the lakes and coast in Northern Ireland and the lakes and rivers in Berlin and West Germany as was.
    I do though have other pastimes and interests,river fishing,boat fishing / competition fishing, furniture restoration / DIY... (I am a joiner by trade so that helps a bit ) rod building, hill walking, photography .... no interest at all in sport of any kind, thus I dont call fishing a sport, more a hobby / pastime.
    I am in one way lucky that I manage to fish different locations quite regularly, including abroad, so that always keeps the interest up, and I find that variety is the spice of life, I think that if I was stuck with chucking 6 oz of lead in the same 10 -20 miles of coastline all year every year with no variety, just the same species i would probably not be as keen as I still am. Although I fish with a few good friends, I am usually a bit of a loner.
    I look forward every year to the coarse season, the winter Cod, the summer Bass,Autumn on the rivers for Chub and Barbel. plus I have a very understanding wife who used to accompany me wherever I chose to fish....although she now stays at home in the warm... except when we are abroad and it is pleasant sitting on the rocks or each in the sunshine. I dont watch the TV much so there is nothing there to escape from, not that I need an excuse....
    So..... I cant visualize ever not fishing, I may start using just the one rod and carrying a rucksack instead of 2 tons of gear to the beaches when I am a bit creakier, till then..........................keeping it up.
    If it helps a bit, try keeping a fishing diary, I have a coarse one and a sea one, reading back over the years always makes me think "Could I have done better ? the experience and knowledge gained from sites such as this and my own observations helps me to fine tune my trips, at least I think it does...even if it doesnt the diaries always bring a smile to my face , treasured memories and comical incidents remembered.

Roger.

3. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

quality life you have there rogermelly, love it :yes:

4. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers Lobbers,its a bit like winning the lottery without the cash,wish I had your catch record though !

Roger

5. Lobbers

im propper sad me, when im crabbing in the summer months, i actually buzz off that, never mind the fishing, i'll be working my way down my traps, and i clamp my hands on a monster peeler, too big for any fishing in the summer, i'll give it a kiss and think to myself, mmmm you've got 15lb'er written all over you in the winter. people have often asked why i have never tried arbroath, well i just dont want to travell a zillion miles to catch loads of cod in the summer, it would probably kill my anticipation for the coming winter months, if i need a cod fix in the summer, an hour down the road is my favourite summer shot the brigg, allways very obliging for some good cod in the summer. when theres nowt to be had, i love going flounder bashing on light gear, i think flounder fishing is an artform, and even though im not a serious club angler no more, i still love to keep in touch with my flounder. love a bit of bass fishing too, dont buzz as much with bassing, i was plugging for bass 15 years ago well before it was a well known local method, and had fish to over 7lb, but im yet to have a good scrap off a bass, they give up too easy, the best scrap i had off a bass was my biggest ledgering bass from sansend carpark 6.5lb.
    nomatter what, i cant imagine losing the buzz for all this, the sea is away tomorrow night and im chomping at the bit to get out again, i just love it :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

6. Dink

Dink Blenny

With the amount of fish you get in the winter, surely Arbroath in the summer would only wet your appetite??

7. Lobbers

no, not at all, i would rather be swimming round with my flippers and goggles round the the rocks in me n our lasses favorite place ibiza, even then im obsessed with catching fish, one in perticular , goldbar, bloody hard to catch, i had one at my feet and it snapped me and wriggled away, bloody teeth, but they love bread and i will get one , one day, the mullet are a bit easier to catch, as with the piscatorial bueties small but great to see

8. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

paul your right about the flatty bashing mate its great! I love it over the solway in the summer for flatty's with it only been 50min ride from where my kids live. Me and sean took my little lad when he was 3year old, i was teachin him to cast and stuff. He was jumping alover when he got a 2lb flounder! Sometimes i think if your getting sick of not catching anythink it nice to try for whiting just toget the bug back. Am lucky with living in trimdon cause 1hour of driving either gets me to whitby area for some cod or the river wear and tyne for when the sea is flat.

9. bow1

bow1 Rockling

I find two or three fruitless nights in crap weather with little sleep wane my entusiasm,but you can guarantee some kip and a nite in the warm with a beer and ill be checking forecast neext day,waiting for a stri up!!!

10. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im a firm believer that if you have started fishing at a very young age or you were around a father that ate slept and breathed fishing it is in your blood and will never ever leave you,yet people who have tried fishing at a later age dont have the same get up and go,and can take it or leave it as and when,fishing in its entiraty has cost me thousands of pounds ended countless relationships and if im honest made me obsessive to the point where my holidays have to be booked arround me having a few hours a day fishing,dont know what you lads are like but how many of you have never once had an argument cos you wasnt allowed out :hurt: ,its bang right what they say fishermen are selfish, :yes:too right, :yes: :yes:,so i think the moral of this story is no, the fishing bug never leaves you completely :no:

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I know what you meen about the holidays Paul,
    i make sure we have at least one week up the Mull so i can show the wife around usualy with a rod for me and a book for the wife :yes: she stayed reading for three hours one time while i was bass fishing , then a holliday up Arbroath ,then another trip to the mull,then if there is any time left maybee a week abroad ,

no cant say the bug never realy leaves you , i bet a penny to a pound of sh1t that Glenn is back after the cod next october :yes:

12. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

i think success makes some anglers loose there fire and curiosity,they then find a comfort zone and hang there for some time :educated: :educated: :whistle:

13. Mushy Peas

Mushy Peas Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

14. Lobbers

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pmsl quite funny, i think ray will chuckle at that one :yes:

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Classic!

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

That's what I meant, I just couldn't find the right words :laugh:

17. Lobbers

so your ok with the fishing ray, (thank fooook), its just the little fella thats lost the bug, well that apparently is natural at 40, it'le come back, apparently. so when is your 40th birthday :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

18. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Just a further take on this one fellers. I have certainly lost the enthusiasm and drive I once had for the winter season, however my wreck shad fishing desire is burning very fiercely nowadays, a method still relatively new to me and I am eagerly looking forward to the early spring.
    Perhaps it is more the case that once a fisherman always a fisherman but maybe the targets species and methods of attack may vary over time and the bug doesn't leave you just changes taste. Just a thought as I also noticed some of the other once very keen winter anglers now seem to have other more burning desires like yakking and bassing.

19. Lobbers

you hit the nail right on the head foo, as soon as they all started yakking, they slowly lost the buzz for the true form of sea angling, man and shore. homosapiens were not meant to be afloat, theyre hunter gatherers,

them stupid floating boards give them too much of a good thing, so the true art of catching sea fish from the shore has become secondary, and all they think is how easier it is.

99% of the shore anglers winter codding depends on one thing, the weather, and when it comes its choosing , where to go when , it can do your head in. but for 20 years this scenario has kept me buzzin , and i cant see it stopping, i live for it :yes:

20. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Mick its not Mr G hyde is it