1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When The Fishing Bug Leaves You

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 30, 2011.

1. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

I keep swearing that I'll give up Cod fishing. Not because I'm bored but because I never catch the things. It's hard to keep it up when you are out and about at 3am and haven't had a touch.

It's odd because a few years ago I set out to get a decent size Eel and that took a long time to happen. It wasn't disheartening though like my Cod fishing. There was always the planning, fishing nice places and the Carp, Tench and Bream that snaffled my bait instead of Eels. Eventually I hit the jackpot and got a dozen Eels one night from 21/2 to 5lb that made it all worthwhile. Couldn't stop catching them after that.

Don't know what it is with the Cod. I think I'm fishing the right sort of places so I'm left with wrong conditions or crappy bait, probably both.

Anyway I've got a couple of weeks in RHB coming up soon so I'll see if that changes anything. If it doesn't then there may well be some fishing gear floating down the coast. I'm pretty sure I'm that close to packing it in and getting back to Barbel and such.

2. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I think there is little bit in that its nice to see the young lads coming back to the weighin with good bag of fish been there done it i think you think like an 18 year old but your body doesnt do the same especially climbing cliffs.

paul.

3. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

I've got a fishing buddy who only does coarse fishing. It's a bit awkward for me because sometimes I have to tell a white lie so that I can go sea fishing. :laugh:
    Although he's younger than me, his health is not too good these days. in fact he is now unable to work and is registered disabled. Fishing has always been his favourite hobby and it's good that he can still enjoy it, but he accepts that I prefer sea fishing (and preferably in a kayak). Whenever the weather allows, he will be at some local lake after Carp and Roach and in spring, summer & autumn that is either twice or three times a week. Keen or what ? :crazy:
    He always let's me know when he's going, just in case I'm free and want to join him, but the main problem is that I only started freshwater fishing after meeting him about 5 years ago and it was he that got me into it. Unfortunately, I've since gone from being obsessed with it to being mildly entertained. Ever since getting into kayak fishing, a nice day spent sat next to a lake always feels like the second best option. I will usually join him once a fortnight when the sea conditions are not good but even then, l would really prefer taking to the river in search of pike, or doing a bit of shore fishing, anything but sitting still waiting for a bite.
    BUT .... and this is an important but, a loyal fishing buddy is worth sacrificing some of that time when you'd rather be somewhere else. I know that my mate would do the same for me if he could, so it's not a problem for either of us. I know that I'll miss him as much as he'll miss me when one of us casts our line for the very last time :pray:, so I try not to harp on too much about sea fishing when I go fishing with him.
    Does anyone have an unusual or interesting fishing buddy story to tell ?

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

ray , i regard you as the best rock angler in the country, and have done for the last five or six years, you dont have much time left to keep up the biz, probably only about 20 years, look at young man dave medd,, 3rd in wby from boulby, come on sson get your arse in gear and thrill melike you have done for years, get off that couch you lazy fat little git :yes:

5. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i just cannot get enough of it.

6. jaydee

jaydee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The fishing bug will never leave me ,of course there are factors that prevent me from getting out as much as id like, work is one and not having a car is another,even after 30 years,Fishing in all weathers freezing me balls off until i can afford a decent winter coat ,as well as everything else that life throws at you,i still love it

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:laugh: :laugh:

I think I do want a kick up the arse Paul. I don,t like to bleat on or feel sorry for myself. I think there's a lot of truth in what John said about the age thing too. I,m sure there,s still a spark in me somewhere, but the raging fire isn,t there. In a way it,s heartening to know that others have the same symptom,s as me and good to see some have made a good comeback

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great thread.... I was thinking I was the only one that felt this way, but by the amount of post's I guess not. Good to know I am in good company. No need to beat yourself up because your enthusiasm is not what it was, which for a time is what I did, asking questions of myself and thinking I should be out fishing when I really didn't want to, just accept that its difficult to keep the same enthusiasm throughout your angling life and at times there will be peaks and troughs. But one thing for sure it will always be in our blood..

9. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

What the f---k's up with you all,come on lad's that's what we do we'r hunter gatherer's,we bring the bacon home allways have,we need a hobby,if you get tired find another one till the urge returns,...and it will....i was out of the game for 30yrs but it never really left me,everytime i went into the garage and saw my old abu atlantic,i used to look at it and say to my self...one day!!so here i am and really enjoying it,got myself a really good fishing buddy(an absolute must)...yea the fishing might not be what it used to be but then is anything as you get older,i just cant sit here in the autumn of my life festering away watching crap on t.v...so while life's kind to me i'm going to do this till i drop.....so come on dont let me down you lad's and this forum are keeping me going....otherwise it's corrie/emmerdale etc.....jesus where's that rope!!! :laugh: :laugh:

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Spot on.

paul.

11. cps

cps Rockling

and hears me thinking its just me that likes other things now

12. cps

cps Rockling

on another note ray been there done it and got the name on the silverwear also may have some bearing on why your [many of us] are not as mad keen for sucsess as you were 10 years ago

13. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im' dead lucky i guess, i have a mate who works in a gun shop that comes shooting with me, i have a mate i go coarse fishing with,( and my dog), i have a mate i beach fish with, and most importantly a mate whos' mad keen on kayaking, im' 64 next month but i cant' get enough of it! roll on Spring!

14. jethro

jethro New Member

I have always been a keen fisherman, Sea, Coarse,Fly etc,, but the thing I find is this. I have never really been taught how to catch fish from the shore. I used to go to the likes of Brid pier and catch flatties or to the beaches south of Brid and get the odd codling. I believe what has stopped me is not having any mates who are into shore fishing. I can't see the point in going to the coast and fishing "blind".
    I love boat fishing (which I think I am quite good at) but I only wish that when I was a bit younger I had taken up shore fishing with anyone who was interested. I belive that if I had done this, then I would have been a life long supporter and participator in this.
    However I did have a session bass fishing (lures) and enjoyed it, but again wished I had a mate to go with.
    I used to go coarse fishing 3 or 4 times a week, but sadly I havent been for about 18 months.

I only go fly fishing perhaps once a month.
    I think its a motivational thing that stops me.

Oh well lets see what 2012 brings. I may get back into it!!!

Jethro

15. bow1

bow1 Rockling

What the f---k's up with you all,come on lad's that's what we do we'r hunter gatherer's,we bring the bacon home allways have,we need a hobby,if you get tired find another one till the urge returns,...and it will....i was out of the game for 30yrs but it never really left me,everytime i went into the garage and saw my old abu atlantic,i used to look at it and say to my self...one day!!so here i am and really enjoying it,got myself a really good fishing buddy(an absolute must)...yea the fishing might not be what it used to be but then is anything as you get older,i just cant sit here in the autumn of my life festering away watching crap on t.v...so while life's kind to me i'm going to do this till i drop.....so come on dont let me down you lad's and this forum are keeping me going....otherwise it's corrie/emmerdale

well said disco mick,thoughts of corrie etc,bloody hell wheres my gear!!!

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well said bow1!

17. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Smashin attitude...keep it up :yes:

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

And Willyevrbenditagain, :whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sean you also have to have me to put up with everyday phone calls :canadian: :canadian: :crazy: am bored now might even go down parton for few hours!!!!! Sean you coming or what lad????????? :yes: :yes:

20. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah Harry, my old mucker Willybendit would like to come yakking with us, but hes' worried he might get left behind, so i told him i would help him build up his upper body strength!