1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When The Fishing Bug Leaves You

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

How many of you long term anglers have had the fishing bug leave you ?? Im not sure whats happened to me but I just cant find the motivation to fish.

Im not depressed or anything, infact im at a really good place right now. Only thing I can think of is that Ive been so intense for so many years that I now struggle to enjoy the winter fishing.

What about others ??

2. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

I would enjoy it a bit more if there was a few more fish. Just can't seem to find them these days.
    Cheers Col.

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

I just can't be bothered Glen and this is the second season running. I have plenty of quality bait in the freezer but just cannot get motivated, funnily enough I have just been to my local club for tickets for tomorrow night and met one of my buddies there. He mentioned the really good current sea conditions and then said "I just can't be arsed Foo" It appears there are quite a few like it this year.

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

I know exactly were you are coming from Glenn. For the last few years my motivation has not been what it once was. The inner drive is not as intense as it once was but I still really love my fishing and its a big part of my life and it always will be. That doesn't mean that I have to grab my rods every time the sea picks up. It doesn't make you any less of an angler if you go once a fortnight or every night of the week. Its the enjoyment you take from it what is important.

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I'm not a long term sea angler but I am a long term angler, for some reason I've lost just about all motivation for shore fishing this winter. I just haven't had the spare money to spend on bait and petrol this winter and tbh I just don't see the point if I haven't got decent bait, even then the appeal of standing on a rock trying my best to keep warm has worn off a bit.
    I fished one evening last week for the first time in ages, think I actually spent more time collecting bait for that session than fishing, somehow that just doesn't seem right! I do enjoy the craic though when there are a few about.

I have wondered if kayak fishing has spoilt things a bit for me, I get a great deal of enjoyment from kayak fishing and shore fishing struggles to match it for me. Obviously that's just the way I looked at it, I'm sure for many it may well be the other way round.

Perhaps missing a season or two might give you the drive to get back out again Glenn, until then like me just enjoy whatever you are doing instead of the fishing :yes:

6. derm

derm Blenny

I spent the summer lure fishing and really enjoyed travelling light always on the move. I've struggled to motivate myself to get to the coast this winter. I've enjoyed it when I got there, but as sam said not enjoying sorting out bait and the cold and rain. Roll on the summer !!

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

I Used to go Fishing every weekend with my best mate we went All over beach. rock. cliff every friday after work we would meet up be off sleep in the car overnight sometimes the good old days when there was fish to be caught if you went to sandsend steps you could see tilley lamps glowing right down to upgang look left and you could see lights up towards the carpark so you knew where the fish where coming out. when the Anchor lamps came out me & dave both bought them from whitby angling supplys £21.50p and i bought the stand & reflector. knocked spots off the old tilley lamps for brightness & best of all dead easy to light after years of pi$$ing about with( meths ) or aftershave you got as a christmas present Ha Ha the smell of (brut33) on a cold winters night we must of been fishing together more than 20 years both members of seaham club hornsea. reckkitts and the lads we knew all over the place( Dave) won the seabirds one year with a 7lbs cod then Dave caught the BIG (C) and died ive had a few new fishing mates since Daves Death but its not the same ive lost All my Motivation for beach fishing and now go boat fishing with some great lads but i still miss Dave so your not on your own if you dont enjoy it why do it tightlines Alain (Happy newyear) to one & All

8. I think its a lot less technical than all that glen, and youve just found the taste for drink again after all these years and your out having a laugh, think there is a happy medium to be found somewhere though, ask BIG COD lol

9. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i think like willy said its hard when you lose your buddy ,although my fishing pal only moved to wales :laugh:,we fished everyweekend all over the country in the summer months then we had some great shooting /hunting /ferreting all winter plus the east coast cod fishing ,now hes moved away everyone i take either knows nowt wont pay their dues on fuel costs etc so i have lost interest a lot ,a good buddy is the best fishing tool you can have ,plus getting older slows you down a bit :yes:cheers

10. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

I think you have got the bass plugging bug bad glenn i know glassback is the same , i like to go shore fishing but get bored watching/waiting for the rod tip to go id much rather plug/sp.

11. halibut man

halibut man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Glen.
    No one was keener than me i would fish at every opportunity through the winter forover 25 years.Then for no reason i just lost interest for about 8 years.Then one day it was just like gasping for a fag i needed to get back on the beach.Now i am as keen as ever getting out when i can and loving it .Once its in your blood you cannot get it out of you ,and you will like me be back as keen as ever

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

You are right there bud. There's a reason why we went shore fishing before, it's because we enjoyed it :yes: I'm sure we all go through this process no matter if you are a sea, game or course angler.

13. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ime like you glen to be honest i havet been out for about 12 months now.......got to get my act together again though.

14. glassback

glassback Blenny

i have certainly lost my motivation ,i used to fish 4 matches a week for years but the last few years i have been strugling to get out there .
    once i get there i realy love it but lack of fish doesnt help either.

work gets in the way alot more now ,ive missed all the matches this xmas only had 2 days of ,so that didnt help.
    i used to be crabing 2 and 3 oclock in the morning then get in ,a couple hrs sleep then out to work.
    same with digging . i cant remeber last time i went digging in the dark .
    i use to go on xmas eve every year getout of the way.

my back dosent help though ,i think thats why ive gone more to summer fishing
    plugging you can go with a lot less gear on your back.and the warmer weather and light nights are better .

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I myself think it is like this :educated: because you have been an excelent angler for many years ( unlike myself average) you strive for that little bit extra ,then when you get it you have no more targets , so you take up say (photography) (or the guitar) in my case,

and you try and get the very best from those as well , in the meantime you dont realise the rest is slipping back and takes a back seat while you focus on your new objective ,

with me i have done my bit with the guitar played gigs, made a record,and had a great time ,

now comes the photography , my guitar is on the back burner and photography at the for :yes: when i feel i have reached my limit i may revert to putting agling to the for again,

(but that will be a very long time ) me thinks that is what you are doing at the moment glen ,
    and those two snapped rods didn't do anything to keep you on the fishing track, :wink:

16. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I dont think the bug ever leaves you just slumbers a while & wakes at a later date strong as ever

17. bassman

bassman Administrator

Roll on summer and the return of the silver bars :yes:

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Im in the same boat at the minute ,i even sacked going to fish highwater tonight because it started drizzling :cheesy: ..
    Fishing is always there and the sea will come away again :yes: , no need to knock uresell or feel guilty for not bothering ..
    Maybe because youve started to enjoy your fishing more the past few summers glen this has knocked the competitive out of you so the desire to rush out at the first signs of a rough up to catch fish in a deep down competitive way has dwindled ...

19. cps

cps Rockling

glen
    i strugel to get out much now work famly etc and dont have the motvation to go on a night, i carnt rember the last good shoer sesh i had but i still enjoy a day out every now and then even like today walking from moor wyke to iron sprin at hw in the rain :cry: :cry: with an almost empty fish bag
    then summer comes and the fishing hots up afloat again and im mad keen again i think you have to do what you enjoy the most
    i went through the same with the festivals i found myself fishing for the sake of it and not liking it so just stoped and havent rearly botherd since, apart from about 5 years ago when i set on to see if i still had it and won angler of the week at scarbro which was a good feeling but i dont have the desire to fish that hard anymore it just takes to much effort where as bass pollock and tope only requres grabing the gear and off

20. robq

robq Rockling

I find I need to mix things up and do a little of everything to keep myself fresh and motivated :yes:

Some tourny casting , kayak fishing and shore bassing in summer :happy:

Then rock, river and beach cod fishing in winter usually in that order

I find that by the time I am getting de-motivated by one part then I am looking forward to the next bit again :yes: