1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the Worst thins that has happened to your spinning rod when casting?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod2, May 6, 2010.

1. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I once let go of my rod as a child, lucky for me a lad next to to caught it as I had casted over him

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

When i was a kid id put the two sections together and gave it swish around ( as you do) the tip flew off into the pond never to be seen again solid glass what a bummer that would be about 45 years ago now funny how you never forget things like that the pond as now been filled in and built on the peg was just behind my mates house tightlines Alain

3. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i watched a lad on the south gare let go of his rod because a seal was attached once, he hooked the macky and was playing it in, as soon as the seal grabbed it he shoit himself, and let go of his rod. it was funny to watch but not for him :no:

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

I once bought a Shakespeare bait/spin rod which snapped in half the first time i hooked a Macky with it. Never to buy another one, needless to say. I also broke an eye of my newish Fox Predator out in the yak yesterday :sad: I've always prefered double legged eyes on rods and the first time i broke the mould and got a rod with single legged eyes, that happened. :angry:

5. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

I remember being a kid, saved up for a spinning rod and purchased this ugly ABU gold coloured spinning rod (it was cheap!). Second cast with my trusty toby lure it snapped whilst fishing on a busy pier... :embarrass: :death:

6. Lobbers

dont get me started about snapping rods......

i have fished century rods for 16 years, then all of a sudden, im snapping ttr's,, three of them, so called lighter stronger materials.
    i have fifteen years worth of century rods and have never snapped onre of them.

im back fishing an old vectra grand prix, ive extended it by a foot, and it is ausome (gorgeous),, however you spell how good something is. i snapped 3 ttr's just casting a 7 oz lead, lighter stronger materials they use for rods are definately not for a rod that you will have for years to come.

7. Lobbers

sorry for digressing, but im passionate about such things, untill recently i have never snapped a rod in my full fishing career, ttr,s, now my red metal, and yes im using this original post to womp on about it, appolloies :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

8. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

someone told me ud never used a rod in your welding career :kiss:

9. rupert

rupert Blenny

Not exactly when casting, but I remember being given an 8' hollow fibre glass spinning rod in the early 80's and proudly demonstrating to my mate how unbreakable they were by pulling on the line, to put the rod in a three quarter circle - I got most of the way before the top half shattered :scare: - demonstration over! :embarrass:

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

Century rods did have a reputation for snapping even back in the 90's remember Century Long ezee sport and match, seen few of them snap, also seen a grandslam snap at the butt, seen a formula one snap, the only rod i snapped was a conoflex nemesis and wound never buy another conoflex again... I.M.O Zziplex make the best fishing and casting rods on the market..

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

One of my highlights with a spinning rod was when yakking. Brand new rod, with sparkling new plug attached and a fish bag with a gaping mouth. I paddled about 50yd out and flicked it out and about 5 seconds later got fastened up on a rope. I paddled back to get directly above the snag and tightened up the slack. Stuck my rod in the rear rod holder while i sorted out my paddle. Even though it only took me a moment to do my yak was drifting and crack went the rod, the plug was lost a few seconds later :educated: ........tosser!

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

So things like that don't just happen to me then Ray..... :embarrass: :embarrass:

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

HEY up ramrod a little tip for you slacken the clutch a little bit late now it could of been worse it could of been my rod tightlines slack clutch Alain

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I remeber lou marsden snapping a centuy rod at kirkleatham in a tournament many years ago, i think that was a long ezee, and they hadn,t been out long :surprise:

15. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Cheers Harry ive just bought one a century carbon metal it was 13ft 6ins long new but as had 9ins cut off the tip it should chuck a 1lb lead and bait 100yards easy its for conger fishing up the mull what you think im taking a hacksaw with me just in case its to soft and some whipping thread & spare eyes im thinking of drilling holes & bolting the reel on should hate for the reel to fall off when ive a big fish on tightlines Alain

16. ste ryder

ste ryder New Member

Slipping on rocks while casting and smashing the tip section to bits.

17. cps

cps Rockling

lol