1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best fixed spool reel to use

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Kingcodlin, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Kingcodlin

Kingcodlin New Member

Hi lads looking at getting a long rod and fixed spool got myself a greys triplex was wondering what reeks you would recommend thanks Carl

2. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I like the ultegra. But others will have a favourite.

3. idge

idge Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I like the Ultegra as well. I've got two of them. Shimano make great reels in my opinion.

4. cryo

cryo Blenny

A lot depends on the type of fishing you do and the approx. price you want to pay.

Ken.

5. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ultegras are a decent all rounder.

Spinfisher LC being the best for the rough stuff

6. Bassplugger

Bassplugger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Shimano ultegras are great value for your money and do all situations I have got a pair of them but I have just got the updated version xsd and they are beautiful and have some lovely upgrades on the xsc and have a spare spool and two sets of line reducers so that the 1400 size spools can be made into a 10000 size and also a 3500 size if you want to fish the smaller diameter 8 and 12 strand braids which are much more affordable than a few years ago. The new version has a super slow oscillation so the line lay is superb for better casting. Shimano are definitely the best reels and pretty light and I have fished all the hardest ground in Scotland with mine without any problems at all. Hope you find a reel to suit your needs.

7. Kingcodlin

Kingcodlin New Member

Thank you very much lads for your info and help I have around £100 for a reel so will consider what you have all put thanks again

8. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

I bought a triplex and a penn conflict the other month but have not used it much but like I so far

9. cryo

cryo Blenny

With a hundred pound in the bank I would look at the Penn Affinity 8000 or the Pen Battle long cast. I've used the Affinity for the last few years with no problems and it can throw a lead a long way with the continental style rods but if you are going to be winding cod up cliffs etc. I would buy the Penn Battle long cast. I've used the majority of fixed spools with long rods since this style of fishing started and have found the new pen reels will match the Shimano reels at a better price point and I'm in no way knocking the Shimano reels, I have two which are excellent but you don't need to spend $175 these days to get a good preforming reel. I find the secret to fixed spool reels is to set the drag and do not overload them as they will take a lot of abuse but the bearings will start to fail if you try to pull a large cod through the surf backwash or wind a south gare seal in ;-)

Ken.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thought the greys is for multiplier not fixed spool or is there new model out ?
    for fixed spool peenn battle longcast

11. baldy1

baldy1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if fishing cliffs what about a fin nor mate

12. Bassplugger

Bassplugger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cryo
    You need to lock your drag out on max for casting purposes otherwise it will kill your casting distance massively and also do more damage than good to the spool bearing. Most situations during a cod fishing session really requires to drag set to max anyway otherwise if you get snagged with a good fish on you can kiss it goodbye. In no way does the drag set to max damage the reel in anyway at all so lock it up and just leave it that way. Ps with the new shimano models coming out you can pick a ultegra speed cast up for a 100 pounds with 2 spare spools and they have got a high spec for a reel in this price range. Best prices are definitely on ebay not the mainstream angling shops.