1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what hooks do you use?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by jase, Jan 24, 2014.

1. jase

jase Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

what hooks do you use for those big donkey choker baits ?

2. robq

robq Rockling

7/0 koikes for me :)

Still plenty of point showing with massive bait and cheap enough to buy too :)

3. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

7/0 Bigmouths good for bending out of snags too

4. cuzza

cuzza Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I prefer a pennel rig for big baits ...some recon you get snagged more on rough ground but i reckon it don't make a lot ov differences...i all so prefer a lighter,softer sort ov hook to pull out ov kelp and such that's mostly what your gettin snagged on ...even caught two fish on pennell rig on more than one occasion...bonus ..????

5. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well your not bending em out of the fish at the moment Tatch ;D

6. RU5TY1

RU5TY1 Glory Glory man united

6/0 uptide vikings or razor claws for me all the way both great hooks teamed with a 3/0 circle hook for my pennel rigs

7. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

5/0 or 6/0 manta xtr's or bmx's,sharp n reliable ;)

8. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

6/0 4447B Mustad Nordic Bend

9. jase

anyone tried the tronix hooks? they do a few different styles.
    Always like to be able to pull out of the kelp and rocks but it a finding a happy medium between thin and thick gauge hooks.
    Do you use a circular hook for your top hook or just a standard hook?

10. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

tronix big dogs r seriously strong,may be not the sharpest hook on the market but very very strong,the cult hook for hounds.Worth trying the sakuma/varivas semi circles(look like a carp hook pattern) or try big dogs as your top hook,a lot of lads swear by this method espesh dwn here on the holderness,makes a nice neat presentation.I still favour twin sakuma manta xtr's/bmx's 4 most of my winter fishing.

11. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

I found the Sakuma Manta's snapped when under pressure hence the nickname Snapuma.

12. robq

robq Rockling

Most of my standard sized bait fishing is done with 4/0 manta extras, 4/0 7447b nordics or 2/0 tronix big dogs ( more like a 4/0 short shank ) sometimes in pennel, sometimes single deopending on where I am fishing :)

However the question was specifically about hooks for big donkey choker baits ;)

13. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Sakuma manta pennel 5/0 and 3/0 for the donkeychokers

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

14. cuzza

cuzza Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use a smaller hook on the top of pennel pair down as small as 2/0 sometimes its something thing i tried once when bites where hard to connect with and it worked so now i pair my hooks 6/0-3/0 ..4/0-2/0 etc in my mind a hook at both ends of my bait makes sense i have even got small 1/0 -1 for flatties and i don't use any thing special just plain light pattern hooks ...round pattern wire ..i like Aberdeen,s (old school) one even a small hook is in fish it wont straighten even a small on ....when i first started fishing 6/0 bait holders where all the rage a great thick wire hook with bards in the shank to keep bait jn place ...you could anchor a boat with them ????

15. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Kamasan strong very sharp

16. stevie62

stevie62 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have been using some 9/0 wide mouth by wsb. We got a good few off a skipper down south a pound for 8 and perfect for pushing 2/3 squid up. No problem for a 3 pound cod or bigger hopefully.

17. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I use a pennel a 6/0 manta with a 4/0 circle hook up top. The circle has nailed a lot of fish for me. Snag up a lot less while using them too

18. jase

cheers for the replies lads some food for thought

19. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I was out last night fished a single 6/0 off a beach, I kept getting thumping bits and missed or lost the fish. As soon as I put a pennel on with 4/0 circle I had 4 fish in a row. The circle nailed two fish.
    My thought about it was the bait as more compact within the pennels so they found the hook easier. But like I say the circle nailed 2 and the 6/0 was out the mouth

20. jase

could it just been the case of that the 6/0 was just to big for the fish to get into ther mouths?

Have you had a go with just using circle hooks? say for fishing for thornies and other catch and release fish?