1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Friends Are For !!! Bassing With The Young Bass Masters

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well I must say a big thankyou to Dan and Damo for being kindenough to lead us to the bass tonight - Just what friends are for. Initially we had decided to go yakking, meetin up at 4pm. However the wind semed to freshen as the day ore on, so wecalled it off.

The lads said they were going bassing on the shore instead and invited me and Mike to try another new found venue. So I agreed to meet up with the lads later on in the evening.

When I eventualy got there about 7pm the lads had no fish. We spent some time chatting and I did my David Bailey bit. Afer about an hour or so Damo hit the first bass of the eveing. I got into position with the camera, but it wasnt to be nd the fish was gone. Poor old Damo tooka bit of a ribbing off Dan who told him it was probably a mackerel.

After another 10 minutes the lads decide on a bit of a shift so I hopped on the rock they vacated. Well you know whats coming next !!! Just as the plug got the the edge, I seen lovely bass, with flaired gills and arched body, take a big swipe at my maria chase BW. The fish was on and so was the fight. Because the bass had hit me so close in, it tore line off my eel a a rate of knots.

Dan who was still close by, saw what was happening. "You jammy B@stard, Ive just come off that rock" the lad said loudly. After a short while I had the bass on the rocks and the bloody treble hook in my finger passed the barb. With a bitof effort I managed to get the hook out and the bass in the bag. My first fish of the year estimate at around 3lb.

Within seconds I loked over and Damo was into a bass. The next 10 mintes were hectic with all the lads getting fish and a few more takes aswell. Then, just as fast as it stared,it was all over. We plugged on for nother 90 minutes or so, but nothing else showed.

As usual the evening was rounded off with a pint in the local and few plans for the next session later in the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: What Friends Are For !!!

Nice one Glenn, if it's one thing that's becoming clear is bass are only on a mark for a short period of time, the challenge is finding their movements, the classic question I keep asking myself is should I stay or should I move :confused:

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Great report Glenn and fantastic photos.......................

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

that really captures the essence of summer fishing, brilliant read and exellent photos Glenn, love the one of Dan getting a soaking on the rock.

Ken

5. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

what a fun night it turned out to be glenn, plenty of fish and plenty of laughs. just what fishings about.

The photos have come out really well. its an art im still yet to get the hang of

6. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

nice one glen, good photos as well

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lads, looks like you had s ome fun

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done lads. yes i love that pic of dan getting soaked. Did Dan get anything on the fly?

9. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

no i never matty, i had a couple of small billet the other night tho.

i still need a few casting lessons i think. im trying to teach myself how to double haul but every time i try i loose all of the momentom in the line

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I'll quite gladly give you a lesson mate no probs just give me a shout.

11. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

an entertaining read glen ,and some quality photos to go with it.

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

What a smashing read , along with some great photos glen ....Well done on the bass mate ....I like that pic of them gannets . dont they just hit that water hard ...... :yes:

13. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Good to see that fish are being caught, it gives hope to the rest of us.

14. langy

langy Rockling

Nice one Glen, a great read with some stunning shots :D

Langy

15. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

we could do a trade dan you teach me how to catch and i will teach you how to double haul.
    another cracking report there glenn and some fantastic pics i need to start taking my camera with me

16. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great stuff glenn with superb pics to back it up :cool:
    The pic of dan getting a dunking looks like perfect timing :happy: Well done on the first bass mate as well.

Have you tried a shooting head dan on the fly rod?? i once watched 2 lads at wykeham trout lakes banging flies about 40 yards into a breeze :surprise:
    I was puzzled as to what they were doing so went and had a yarn with them,they explained they were using a shooting head and using amnesia as the line :wink: matty will probably explain it better than me but if you get it right you will bang a big fly out miles :wink: :happy: tight lines

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

aye a shooting head is a short section of fly line with a "shooting backing" on it. when you cast with one you get the fly line out of the rod then let it fly just like using a weight forward, the weight of the shooting head and the shooting backing having less friction it can go a long way. I personally dont see the need for it as i can chuck a weight forward out a decent distance anyway. either way you really need to get your casting sorted with a full line first rather than jump into using a shooting head.

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

Lol that's me told :embarrass: :happy:

19. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

it took me a while to learn the double haul but now i can get a full line out then i changed to a wtf (weight forward) and if i tried i could probs get most of my backing line out to lol it mainly is technique

20. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

Nice report , cracking pictures Glenn beats my blanking last week !!