1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what fix spool

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mike alves, Jan 21, 2014.

1. mike alves

mike alves Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi lads wonder if you can help im looking for a heavy duty fixed spool reel that can handle hauling fish off the scars and cliffs with big line capacity. so many to choose from but don't know which way to go.

2. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Majority of lads have gone for a penn battle mate

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

penn battle, penn conflict, fin nor offshore seem to be the tough ones on the market at the moment

4. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Howdo, I myself have a penn surf blaster 8000, iv had no problem with it on rocks so far

5. mike alves

cheers lads for the info much appreciated

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

any relation to Afonso?

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If I d known you were looking for a new reel Mike I d have brought a few along for you to have a good look at. Next time we're out I ll bring along , Penn Affinity 8000, Penn Battle 8000, shimano super ultegra 10000, Fin Nor of95........then you can see the pro s and cons in the flesh.

Personally knowing your fishing and casting I would say go for a penn Battle.....cope with high cliffs, reasonable casting and a spare alloy spool included for about 100 notes. 8)

8. mike alves

YES MATE LOOK FORWARD TO THAT THINK IM GOING TO NEED ONE AS I PLAN TO FISH THESE PLACES MORE OFTEN CHEERS

9. mike alves

NOT THAT IM AWARE OF MATE

10. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

ive jst bought another ultegra and sent my old one in for servicing, im the only person i know of who has stripped the gears on a battle but its also going back to manufacturers for service. but when it was right it was the dogs!

steer clear of the affinity i used one and it broke in two casts! you wont wind fish up cliffs for very long with one either.

youll get enough range on your fixed spool reels as long as the spool is filled right up!

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I agree with you Rich on the Affinity....not up to heavy use at all........but for clean to mixed ground they are the better casting. My Super Ultegras have had a hard time o Bemton and just about every other rock mark between Scarbro and Whitby and are battered but going strong.

I wound in a fish of just over 5lb the other night on the Drive and the affinity was twisting and creaking even under just modest pressure. I also saw a super ultegra trashed that night ! Not mine luckily. ;)

It's a shame that Penn don t make a reel as tough as the Battles but with a shallower wider spool similar to the ultegra instead of the deep lipped types.

12. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

with the reels loaded right, with the right braid, the battles will throw a good line out, i was putting a bait 100+ on ship open with mine