1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do Big Cod Prefer To Eat ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 8, 2007.

?

Have You Ever Caught A Cod Over 8 Pounds ? If So What Bait Did It Take ?

1. Peeler Crab (All Types)

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Mussel

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Lugworm (All Types)

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Squid

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Tel Pie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. White Ragworm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ragworm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Crab Cocktail (Any Crab + Other Baits On Top)

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  9. Lug Cocktail

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Other Cocktail Not Listed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Other Bait Not Listed (please state below)

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Everyone strives to catch that big fish. Some people have been lucky enough to land a few monster cod in their time, others are just setting out on the road so might find this topic helpful in their quest for the big one. With all the bait combinations possible its probably a difficult question to answer. But what's your views on the dietary preference of the Bigger Cod off our shore line. Please vote for the bait which you think best describes what the big double figure cod feed on around our shores. If you think different size fish have different diets then please tell us your thoughts, but remember that we will all have differing opinions so not everyone will think the same ;) :)

Will someone reveal the secret of the "Black Magic" Box ;D

2. Baramundi Bob

I've had several over the 8 pound mark and think they favour crab and mussel so have voted for crab cocktail. Probably sticking my neck out a little but would think no one took a big fish on a white ragworm ?

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

had one 9lb 8oz. it took a lug and mussell cocktail

4. cod rod kev

cod rod kev New Member

pulled 11 1/2 pounder in from holbeck on mussel so my vote mussel ;)

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Not trying to make you look silly Glenn ::) but I had a 10lb+cod off Marine Drive with a single white rag in the Thursday league matches. My favoured bait would be crab but my biggest was caught with a razor/lug cocktail

6. IanD

IanD New Member

Over the years I've had several over the 8lb mark, and I'd say the best bait would have to be a mussel/lug cocktail.
    But by far the biggest fish I ever hooked from the shore (Whitby East Pier a few years ago) took a small codling that I'd just hooked.
    It was the biggest cod I've ever seen, but straightened the hook when I held it on the surface wondering how I was going to walk it round into the harbour to land it. :( :(
    Still landed the small codling though which was half way up the trace. ;D ;D
    I also had a decent fish off Middleton Pier in Hartlepool that had taken a rockling, so I guess that if any one was willing to sit it out in the hope of a real biggy, live-baiting would be a definite option.

7. baza

baza New Member

for me it has to be mackerel over clean ground and crab over rough

8. Baramundi Bob

Crab and Mussel for me, lots of mussels :)

9. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

in my opinion a whole calamari sorts out the bigguns ;D

10. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

a single large black worm is an excellent big fish bait ;)

11. martin

martin New Member

They don't eat anything I through at em ??? ???

12. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

my biggest cod fell to frozen black lug and frozen mussel.both bait's had been defrosted and re frozen several time's and were quite slimy.caught 4 fish that night one after another and the angler's fishing next to me blanked.

13. bait pump

bait pump New Member

Not from your side of country but a frequent invader I have had numerous doubles out of the River mersey biggest 19lb6oz jan 2002 all caught on a full squid hooked head down on a 5/0 pennell rig stuffed full of mussell and whipped up at the end with cotton and just popped a little with a needle not a bait to throw a long way but if your throwing into a hole/gulley then give it a whirl also works around the ground marks at fleetwood/fylde coast but only managed a 9lber off the beaches

14. Tala

Tala New Member

My personal best cod fell to a crab/mussel/lug cocktail but thats not what I voted for, the reason for this is that I have had 6 double figure fish over the years and 2 of them were caught within 1/2hr of each other :p, both of which fell to squid.
    So squid it has to be.

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

cocktail baits -- crab , mussel, worm, razorfish, i have had a double figure cod from the shore on mackerel fillet , squid can take very big fish, i know of a 23 lb cod from boulby gulley on squid, if you have the space why not chuck a second rod out, with say a big chunkof mackerel,
    or a decent sized whole squid, and if youre really dearing -- a rockling, i have seen double figure cod take them

16. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

Can I play devil's advocate and say the best bait is the one you put infront of its nose when its passing. ::) ::) :)