1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What age would a bass around 10lb be??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Aug 9, 2010.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Does anyone know roughly what age a bass say of around 10lb would actually be?

Personally i would think a lot of factors would come into play, like water temperature, food source, and then genes passed down.. I read with intrest a post about bass from certain area's been stocky fish and other area's long slender fish, do you think there is a connection between the ground they inhabit or is just like us humans alot gets passed down from our parent's in our genes, some of us are tall and thin some of us small and fat like me.. :laugh: Just wondered if it is possible to actually put an age to weight of fish...

Welcome your thoughts... :happy:

Tightlines

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

At a guess Garry, 74 fish years

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You must have worked that out on the same scale as quint assessessssss :whatever: spawney's age :laugh: I've wondered too! They must be faster growing at first like all fish but when they reach a certain size do they start to fillout more rather than grow in length otherwise a 20lb'er would be 148yr old :nerd: I've always been a bit sceptical on how slow growing they are.

4. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

When I counted the growth rings on the scale of my 7lber last year, I guessed at around 15 years.

About time it was caught, eh! :canadian:

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I have read that they are quite slow growing, i think it was a mike ladle report i read a few years back , :confused: any way i think it was something like a 5lb bass woul be around ten years old, i remember allso Langy put something up last year about the one i had think he reconed about 35years old,
    i do know i have seen many reports over the years about bass being slow growing ,
    hence all the commotion now and again from the Bass specimen brigade :nerd:

6. rizla

rizla Blenny

did you use the otoliths in the hearing organs to find the age? it would be easy to plot age against weight ,but there must be other factors to take into account eg food,sex,etc

7. macky

macky New Member

i would reckon around the 96- 97 year class, i think local bass are pretty fast growin

8. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Its a really difficult question to ask as there are other factors. Mainly food source for the fish i would have thought-more food the bigger it gets.
    Mick

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Just been reading mike ladles hooked on bass gary and he reckons ,
    In british and irish waters a bass`s feeding and growing season are quite short therefore it would probably take 20 years for a female bass to reach double figures , male bas are slightly slower growing and rarely exceed 8lb in weight.
    In warmer waters off the french coast growth rates are very simliar but further down towards morroco a fish of 10lb may only be 12 to 13 years old , day to day the sea temp is important in the way it effect feeding activity and consequently growth.....so he says ....
    All this is found out by examining the scales very simliar as you would read a trees rings ....You can even tell a bad and good year THAT a particular bass HAS had feed wise due to the spacings of the rings etc etc ...
    .The best scales to read are the ones right near the tip of the pectoral fin as they are the first scales to grow , old scales can be replaced due to them being bashed about regular so try not to read them ones , apparantly you can tell the difference from an original scale as they are fuzzy looking with no detail....a bass of 5 to 6 years old is roughly 12 "....SO EVEN A ICKLE SCHOOLIE HAS BEEN KNOCKING AROUND FOR OVER 5 YEARS ....

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

Cheers i have a scale from JP's 10lber will have to have a look.

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

I think there is a piece in the sea angler this month about it gaz .....