1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West Pier Latest

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by JG, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JG

JG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have just received an email from Mike Cockerill. He says that DNC will commence work on the installation of the temporary bridge (west pier) on Thursday morning. It is estimated to take 2.5 to 3 days to complete.

2. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Finally. When they say temporary, I wonder what they class as temporary? Hopefully just a few months whilst tenders are in and materials machined/sourced etc.

3. JG

Right now I don't care if it's temporary or permanent as long as it's ACCESS

4. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Great news for Whitby.
    Its good to read that something is getting attention.
    Now if we ask nicely we might get the East pier opened and allow the whole of the Harbour to be visited by the public . :happy:

5. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fully agree with you on that one. the whole affair has been a shambles from start to where we are now. So business as usual for SBC then.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

What they building the humber bridge rumours have it it will be only one person wide which surly cant be right if its going to take 3 days it must be something very special when i worked scaffolding offshore if it took 3 days to build something of that span i would have been down the road it sounds like its going to be built like fort knocks.

paul.

8. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If all goes well & to plan, we could then justify a repeat performance for the East Pier.

Would people/anglers maintain the publics attention for focus on the East side ?

I hope that SBC can come to a sensible conclusion for both piers. thanks for update.

9. JG

10. JG

I don't intend to disappear when the temporary bridge is up and running. What I am saying is that I am just relieved that we will at last have some access.
    I think we should keep pressure on SBC to start maintaining parts of Whitby that should be maintained before we lose them too. I am really worried about the lighthouses. We should be formally asking them for a maintenance plan for all these things so that they don't get forgotten and ignored until it's too late to save them.

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The main problem SBC doesnt have any maintainence plans they used to paint the hand rails on the peir they stopped doing that those peirs mean so much to whitby what i cant understand is why more buisneses say nothing they take things for granted do they think people come to whitby just to eat fish and chips they come because the town is special ie the peirs, the cobble streets, etc if you let these things go to rack and ruin people wont be coming here and wont be eating in restaurants or fish and chips some people need to wake up and give the council a bit of stick.

paul.

12. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Could some form of "sponcering" be looked at by some of the buisness that would benefit from both piers being in use ?

If SBC made up the shortfall , could this be another option to regain the east pier?

Dependant on new " walkway" design etc, how about £10 PER "plank" etc with name of donator on, as used by other schemes.

Although a lot dont fish Whitby, would intrest be generated enough for the "friends of whitby piers" to suggest this to SBC?

Even in these hard times, if enough interest generated the return of the east pier, £10 is not going to break the bank.

If this ever came about id donate to be " a planker"

ps dont delete the "pl" & insert "w" im just trying to get a days fishing in on the east pier before time catches up on us all.

13. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Being down the peir today work has started and hopfully finished tommorow .

paul.

14. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Any news on the temporary bridge, is it finished yet? Could be worth a chuck during the week if it is.

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Now open to all.

paul.

16. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Good news, cheers. :yes: