1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welsh kayak report May 2013 (Tope with pics worth a look)

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by andym, May 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. andym

andym Rockling

Myself and Mark headed over to Wales to meet up with a few lads from the North West we arrived on Thursday and had to be home by Sunday and the others were arriving Friday and staying until Monday the forecasts were all over the place apart from the Thursday so on arriving we headed straight out for an experimental session

[​IMG]

Paddling out in scorching heat and the clearest sea I have ever seen it was great paddling over the rocks and even being able to see Bass as we passed over them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once anchored up in our chosen spot we both sent a big Tope bait down in the tide and fished a lighter rod with smaller baits for other species

[​IMG]

I didnt have to wait long for the light rod to start nodding and soon had the first of many Dogfish aboard with Mark getting stuck into the Doggies also non stop action until the Tope rod screamed off I picked it up and waited for the second run which came with a real wrench on the rod so engaged the spool and the fish ran straight through the rocks slicing the braid gutted but at least Mr Tope was home! and gave me a small taste of the power of these fish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I carried on catching the dog fish and the Tope rod would give the odd small tap and slow buzz on the baitrunner and then it wrenched and screamed again so I quickly wound the 2nd rod in and held the Tope rod and it tore off tightened into it but nothing there.

[​IMG]

Getting low on bait for this short experimental session I only fished with the Tope rod still getting the odd Doggie on the big baits and still getting some very fickle pick ups from Huss or Tope and then it Happened a scorching run followed straight after by another as soon as I engaged the spool of the Baitrunner the rod arched over and I was into something with extreme speed and power I like fishing light and could get away with a 3 oz lead and light braid so was in my element battling with whatever was on the end after some long runs down tide it shot uptide under the kayak so I passed the rod around the bow (good reason to use longer rods IMHO) and as soon as I had done so it turned back down tide leaning the Kayak quite far over to say the least but at least it was heading away from my anchor line as the fish (and me) began to tire I saw it in the crystal clear water and the sight will stay with me forever I could see the Tope with my Mackerel bait in its mouth being shadowed by another Tope and a 3rd Tope circling the pair AWESOME! Pity my GoPro froze when I turned it on to record again!!!!! at this point Mark released from his anchor came alongside to get some pics so after it appeared to be ready I brought it along side and was determined to get it on board for some pics much to Marks looks of are you mad!! :whistle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But soon had it aboard where it promptly went mad trying to bite my knee fishfinder mount kayak and Marks kayak :laugh: flipped it over on to its back to calm it down (it didn't) so just got on with the unhooking big circle in the corner of the mouth was a straight forward job and with hardly any reviving it was ready to go no worse for wear using 150lb mono trace so no damage caused by wire and so chuffed to see it swimming away strongly Target achieved

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark anchored up again and after an hour or so I heard a good scream not a reel though just Mark :whistle: as he bent into a run I quickly ditched anchor and went to assist and take pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after a hell of a fight Mark saw the fish and was gob smacked to see the Tope appearing from the depths cant remember the exact words but made me chuckle and after several more runs we could see why it was fighting so much it was hooked outside of the mouth so difficult to control after grabbing the trace I asked Mark if he was getting it on board which he was so rafted up with him but as the fish dived again the hook pulled free so no on board shots of this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unfortunately the weather turned for the worse after this very short session so when the other lads arrived we were limited to playing around in the building swell but Hopefully the other lads will get out fishing tomorrow or Monday I will be back again though a stunning place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of pics and hope you enjoy the read I'm sure the other lads will add to it when they can

Andy

2. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Welsh kayak report May 2013

Great report, love those first few underwater shots, they don't look they belong in the UK!

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

3. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Fantastic Andy, the write up and pics is awesome. Cracking fish too, well worth the trip. Excellent read, cheers

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Awesome! Big well done to you both, great report, cracking fish and lovely photos. Nice :cool: :cool:

5. vrs_1

vrs_1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well where do i start

This has to be the best & most memorable fishing experience of my life. We went out fishing straight away when we got there and decided the tent could wait until later. i could not get my gear ready quick enough, the sea was perfect and crystal clear i have never experienced anything like it 30-40ft of water and you can see your bait on the bottom. We both got suited up and headed out to a place that looked good and anchored up; i got rigged up and sent my tope bait to the depths then sent my light rod down also for anything that may have come along. I started pulling in dog fish every drop on the light gear and the wait was not long between the catches, i brought the tope rod in a few times with a clean hook stripped by dog fish i guess but about a hour in it started nodding so i wound little rod in at top speed and pulled a slightly larger dog fish in then all went quiet for about a while and then after re baiting a few times my kayak shook and my reel was screaming off line like i have never seen before then it turned and headed back to me and i could not reel line fast enough and i thought i had lost the fish but then it screamed off near my anchor and i could not make any head way with the fish i just could not get it to the surface but managed it eventually and realised it was foul hooked so i was trying to be careful as i did not want to lose the fish but unfortunately as i grabbed the leader it tried to dive one more time and the hook came free so all ended well .

Like Andy said day 2nd day was not great but we had fun in the waves and swell but no fishing although it did give me chance to sharpen my kayak skills.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a fantastic weekend with great company and i cannot wait to do this again thank you everyone and new friends made.

Thanks all and see you next time :happy:
    ?
    Mark

6. andym

andym Rockling

Cracking pics Mark!

Thanks for the replies lads

7. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

One of the best posts I've read for a long time with brilliant pics which really capture what sounds like a fantastic time away. Well done on all those fish and especially those two big fellas.

8. jase

jase Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

awesome report and cracking fish lads, well worth the miles to fish in such a beautiful place like that and catch tope :cool: well done

9. nevbob

nevbob Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

awesome report matey!!!!!!! here's to many starting to appear in the coming weeks fingers crossed!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

nev

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great photos Mark, lovely Tope bud :cool: No stopping you now :yes:

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

A big well done lads, a long journey but well rewarded with some cracking tope :happy: Like i say, well done and i'm glad, the trip was worthwhile.

Anyone fancy a dab session> :wink: :cheesy:

12. andym

andym Rockling

Cheers Dave stunning place cant wait to get back out on the dabs though :whistle:

13. 01kayak

01kayak Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great to see you both of you get a tope

they certainly give a little fight
    well done jeff

14. andym

andym Rockling

Cheers Jeff yeah they make the Dab fishing locally seem tame lol

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done guys, an excellent days fishing followed up with a great report and superb snaps. I like the idea of getting over to wales especially if the weather is bad on this coast. Certainly gonna look at other opportunities this year.

Cheers - Glenn

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just brilliant stuff lads, really nice to see some kayak sport again. Are we going to see you down on the Holderness coast when the real big girls come in? :happy:

Hope non of you got caught on the A55 last night, ruddy 6 hours to get home from Menai Bridge.. :sad:

Well done again guys..

Ken

17. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Cracking report and pictures lads well done to all of you.

18. andym

andym Rockling

Cheers Ken we travelled back on the Saturday so no traffic would love a crack at the Holderness Tope just give us the nod when you are planning a trip and if I'm available I will be there