1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welham Lake session

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by mike_t, Sep 30, 2013.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I got a pass to get out for a 48 hour carp session and chose to fish Welham Lake near Malton. I chose the venue as I was taking a few friends one of which had never been fresh water fishing. Also it's only about an hour drive to get there.
    I was doubled up with Jon who had never fished fresh water to try keeping him right, two other lads were next two pegs up but a good distance away.
    The water in front of us was shallow and plenty of weed and the back of the island roughly 90 yards away. There were a fair few fish in our water so I flicked three rods out with single baits on, set up camp and made a plan of what to do. From what the balif had said and what I had read up on there, the best method is fishing pva bags of pellet and boily. So one rod went out on that, my second rod was just a single pink pop up put out towards the island where the fish were cruising, the bottom here was deep silt and the lead was burying in deep so with a pva nugget on I cast then pulled the rig back a foot or two to bring the rig onto the top of the silt. My third rod I put 2kg of boilies out over a weed bed but cast my rod well out of the way of it allowing the fish 24 hours to graze freely on it.
    That evening my line dropped slack on my third rod, lifting into it and a short fight and a mid double common lay in my net, 15,8 on the scales
    [​IMG]
    Happy to have caught I slung the rod out again and sat back, the fish that were in front of us had now moved on and line bites dried up as the evening wore on. Just as I got into the bag my bobbin pulled up tight and I was on it before the line pulled from the clip and sure enough another fish was on a fighting for all it's worth but went into the net first time. Another mid double common
    [​IMG]

And that was it for the first night, I awoke to the kettle whistling and a nice bright sunny morning, news of my other two mates had caught soon came through, a 4lb common and another mid double. Both caught on cell up towards the island.
    I thought with it being a nice sunny day we would have had plenty of fish up in the shallows but carp being carp they were not playing by the rule book and stayed down near the dam wall basking where no one was fishing. I topped the swims up and put another kilo in over the weed bed and went for a brew with the other lads. Dave caught another fish which spat a mouthful of boilies out in the net, some were his but some were mine the ocm boilies I was putting out in bulk, so that was my mind made up back to the swim and drop my bait in over the baited patch.
    That night I had a common which was just over 10lb, the another mid double and finally in the morning another mid double common all off the baited patch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That was it time to pack up but while we were there we could see loads of fry in the margins, thousands of them, I took a scoop with the net to see what they were and all carp in miniature, some little stunning mirrors too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The end result was Dave 5 Nick 2 Jon 0 but lost one and me 5 loosing 4 a good first session, it's very well laid out and nice and quiet too.

On a final note always remember when you are get your photo taken to check your back drop or something might ruin your photo

[​IMG]

2. Jacko44

Jacko44 New Member

Well in mate, Welham is a quality little venue, I have had some really good catches over the years there. It's not real "peggy" either, all pegs do fish regularly. Which pegs were you on? the one with the arse in the background looks like 10 if I'm not mistaken? Now cricket season is over and done with and the wedding is out of the way I'm looking forward to a winter of Carping, mainly days only but Welham will be one of the places I'll be targetting! Well done mate, great result!

3. mike_t

Lol yea the full moon was in 10 I was on 11 and 12 and other lad was on 9, dam wall put a few fish out too. Like the place and will head back over the winter too

4. Jacko44

Jacko44 New Member

Great winter water, the clarity of the water there makes fish spotting so much easier and that's always a help in the winter months! Also, being spring fed it is quite often one of the only waters in N. Yorks that doesn't completely freeze, unless of course we have mental winters like the last couple! Those top pegs have done me fish in winter, the spring comes in there and it is the shallowest part of the lake so I think it is the natural destination for the fish in the cooler months. The bait company I use (DNA) have a video on Youtube by Mick Price on winter fishing there, decent watch if you have 20 minutes spare!! Well in again mate.

5. mike_t

Yea I had watched it before we went. Good watch

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Mike, good session that bud. Nice photos though one I could of done without seeing whilst having my breakfast :eek:

7. lankypaul

lankypaul Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is this place on a golf course if so I used to fish it on a night for tench and if I remember it was very good is it still a day ticket water mite have to give it a go again

8. boris

boris New Member

It's rammed that place easiest fishing in Yorkshire.
    Was better when it was a trench water.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

9. mike_t

It is on day ticket yes. first time i fished it and its a cracking venue, was gutted i never got into any tench but there are plenty of carp in there. Cant wait to go back
    Web site
    http://www.renewutesting.co.uk/welham/

10. lankypaul

lankypaul Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers will take a look

11. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some cracking little live and dead baits there !

:D

Roger