1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wear And Tyne Angling Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

Wear is one of the rivers in my sights for this weekend (given some settled weather).

I heard a bit of encouraging news with regard to the ongoing 'Wall/Ice Rink' snatching situation.

Apparently the police turned up down there last month after the EA officers had been abused and threatened while checking licences.
    They checked licences of several individuals and found at least two without. In addition to this they had been watching someone fishing two large trebles and a weight on the local CCTV- this footage will no doubt be used in court to secure a prosecution.
    Word is that this will be ongoing with undercover operations to follow.
    Bad news for the poachers but great news for the legal anglers who would be the ones to lose out should angling ever be restricted or banned on this stretch.

2. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Ian - did you manage to get to the Wear last weekend?
    After a dismal July I managed a fresh 6lber when the river settled, before this current lift.
    River is dropping quickly again now and should be in good order for the weekend.

[​IMG]

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice fish Stu!
    I ended up on Esk last weekend then planned to go bassing in the dead of night but fell asleep.
    Wear could be an option this week though.

4. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Earlier this week the river dropped to the lowest that I'd seen it this season.
    There had been reports of a few sea trout - although not in the numbers you'd expect for August.
    Headed down Monday night and in ideal conditions I was surprised not to see any fish jumping. Reading other forums this seems to be a consistent theme this year.
    Anyway, last pool I fished produced a nice 8.5lb fish which was a new personal best (just) for me so I was over the moon. Caught on a black & silver tube at 11.30pm.
    It's been a funny season - some really good fish but not the numbers of fish in pools as previous years - I guess a huge number ran through with the floods.

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Well done Stu- cracking fish mate.
    8.5lb is the weight I've been stuck on for a few years- just can't seem to get that double...yet!!

6. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Cheers Ian.
    I'd love a double and just hope that when it comes it will be on the fly at night.
    I'm obsessed with the weather at he moment as just 1 week until my group salmon fishing trip to the Torridge in Devon.
    It will either be great or a washout!

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Hope the weather treats you well Stu- with overnight top ups to keep the Torridge at perfect fly level every day.

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Top fishing mate , very good fish . I havent been out now for around month or so . I bought a house so been spending what seems like every minute of the day doing work in it .....i really need to get out .im sick as parrot .....gona defo get out soon im gettijng withdrawls :cheesy:

9. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Well it's June - anyone had a go at the sea trout yet?

Wear looks in good condition - ill be fishing this week. Feels like such a long time since I've cast a line. Last time was in December off Whitby West!

10. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

So I managed to get out twice this week.
    On Monday night I didn't see or touch any fish until I fished my last pool of the night.
    A jerky take and mad fight before I landed a 7lb sea trout. I was delighted - been dreaming about a fish like that all winter.
    Fished again last night and once again it was very quiet. Doesn't feel like there's many about at the moment - my fish on Monday must have been a loner.
    Apparently the May figures show the lowest number of running fish since mid 90's.
    Fingers crossed we're just a few weeks behind due to the cold spring.

Ill try again next week.

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

They'll come buddy,everything is a bit later this year,the salmon netter at scarborough hadn't seen a single fish until the middle of this week then it came on big style,a nice average size as well.

If we get some heavy rain the rivers will be full of silver bars.

12. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

. Over last month plenty big Browns fat about 20 inch. Four seatrout to frozen dead minnow.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  13. Dav

Dav Rockling

13lb Bad boy [​IMG][/URL]

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cracking fish Dav

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Cheers Dave been after a double for years eventually did it . Thanks

16. Dav

Dav Rockling