1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wear A Hat - Good Or Bad Advice ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I personally think it's best to wear a hat, I feel you do loose body heat if I don't wear a hat but then I have a fat head so I would say that :cheesy:

3. Jetty

Jetty New Member

just cant imagine myself stood on the end of skinningrove jetty,on a bitterly cold january night,wind howling and sleet landing on my bald mach 3'd cranium...........id bloody freeze to death........ :sick:

4. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

on the yak i wear a baseball hat and shore i wear w beanie in winter, keeps my hair out my eyes :laugh:

5. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

It doesn't say you need to wear one all the time but carry one, which is a good idea, some people like to argue for the sake of it, I don't need any scientist to tell me when my sweed's cold, although I think the list is good and pragmatic, I would hate it to become mandatory, we are all old enough to make our own choices, how many carry all that gear? Only Buzz has a space blanket that I know

6. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

As my Gran used to say. "if you are wearing one and it gets too hot, you can take it off. If You haven't got one with you and you get cold, you can't put it on". On your head be it! Pun intended......

7. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

lol I forgot my cap the other day and I was constantly getting blinded by and trying to remove my fringe from my eyes. Ended up creating some Fernando Torres style headband with an elastic band out of my bag :laugh: :laugh:

On cold winter nights I prefer to go with the balaclava, you can roll it up into a hat if your face gets too warm :laugh:

8. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Essential for me being follically challenge, never fish weout mi Donnyrovers hat during the winter months.....

9. robert123

robert123 Blenny

If the weather is cool you will lose heat through an un covered head. But I think it is fair to say you will lose heat through anywhere that is not covered. So, if you wear a hat and shorts, you will not lose heat through the head but will lose heat through your legs.

10. oddjob

oddjob Blenny

summer i wear an old army boonie hat because im a carrot top an burn at the slightest glimmer of sun and winter a shemagh and a skull beanie because its getting a bit thin on the top and you can always take it off if it gets warm.. :laugh:

11. Dorado

Dorado New Member

The list is one drawn up in conjunction with the RNLI Safety Officers from their HQ and Sea Safety College in Poole.

That Poole facility has one of the most advanced training pools in the world. They can literally replicate any conditions you are likely to face at sea, including hurricane force winds (by huge fans), big waves and the temperature can be lowered to arctic conditions - thye train rescue services from all over the world here. The hat thing was confirmed by tests carried out in the pool with the temperature lowered, men with hats withstood the conditions far longer than those without - so whilst the original basis may have been from a US army manual left over from Vietnam, it has subsequently been backed up by modern confirmation in tests that replicate real life conditions.

It is a bit like the 30mph speed limit - when it was brought in it was an arbitrary figure dreamt up by the then transport gurus. Many cars were fairly licking along at 30mph in those days! They also had far inferior brakes to modern cars and nasty things sticking out the front of them - like pouncing jaguars and flying ladies and the like. It just so happens that modern speed testing backs up the 30mph limit as being one that most pedestrians, if hit, will survive the impact from - a bit of lucky coincidence that the figures coincided I suppose (or did the old timers really know a thing or two?) Either way, I wouldn't want to be speared by a pouncing jaguar, even at 20 mph!