1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was It Ever In Doubt - Sams The Man - Again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

They say that good things come in three's and after landing 2 double figure cod in his first season kayak fishing Sam Baxter (AKA Sambo) was waiting for number 3. Well this time it wasnt a double figure cod but a 5 pounds 6 ounces Pollock which won Sam the first ever kayak match in the Scarborough Angling Festival.

[​IMG]

Sam won the Ocean Kayak sponsored by Tristar Angling on a fantatsic day that saw 42 kayakers fishing off the marine Drive at Scarborough. Im sure Spawney Dave will be able to give us a rundown of the full results at some point and I also look forward to his report of what was a memorable day for all who turned out, and especially Sam, who Im sure wont forget this one in a hurry.

Just on a personal note Id like to thank Dave Adamson for doing all the hard work on this one for us and organising such a brilliant day. The event seemed to go without a single problem and in all honesty was one of the most enjoyable days fishing for me in a long time. Nice one Dave -fantastic.

2. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done sam :yes:

3. Baramundi Bob

My day started when Mike picked me up from Home at 6.30 this morning, probably the first time I've been out of bed in darkness for a long time. We loaded up the landrover with the yaks and all our gear and headed for Scarborough. We left Whitby and a beautiful morning behind us and we were soon in dense fog on the moore tops. I thought the event would have to be put back a few hours to allow the fog to clear but as we drove onto MArine Drive it was clear this wasnt going to be the case.

[​IMG]

We unloaded the gear and then went for breakfast at the oasis cafe on the sea front. It was soon clear it was going to be a great day and that there had been an excellent turn out, there was yakkers and yaks everywhere you looked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First plan of action was a bacon sandwich and a coffe. Next stop was the locals and Phil France was on hand with what turned out to be some top advice :cool:. On the beach the lads were getting ready and waiting eagerly to get away. Jellyworm was clearly chomping at the bit and even prebaited his hooks prior to setting off. Robq was taking it a bit easier allthough sounding a little concerned about what may happen to his favourite team Hull City at the hands of Aresenal this afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8am Soon came round and it was time for the off. We were met on the way out by the safety boat that was arranged by Dave. It was great to see the boat come out of the sunshine to meet us and I was pleased to see them all day, giving us peace of mind that if anything did go wrong they would be there to lend a hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan for the day was to fish big baits getting a scent trail running and then staying put to capture any fish lured to our swim. 10 minutes after leaving the beach we were dropping anchor and I was fastened to the back of Mike Yaks by the most expensive washing line in the world. :whatever: :happy: and out went my first bait, a rather large cocktail of Mussel, Squid And Telpie. Instantly a bite registered but never returned. 20 minutes later I wound in to find the fish was laid on. A rather nice Mop of around 2 pounds. Next cast another bite instantly, but sadly no fish, and this was to be the case for the next 3 casts with lots of codling bites in the strong tide but no fish. Then I changed tactics and shot a bait downtide. Not long after I was into another fish, this time around 5 pounds. After that the bites dried up a little and became non existant when the tide eased right off so I spent the rest of the time taking a few snaps.

Mike with a wrasse

[​IMG]

A visit from the safety boat. Big thanks to the lads for keeping an eye on us all.

[​IMG]

A poacher who found a 5 pound cod in the middle of our swim :surprise: :cheesy:

[​IMG]

A sunbather :happy: :happy:

[​IMG]

More yakkers across the bay

[​IMG]

12 O'clock was soon around and it was time to head for Port. Word on the Radio was that Sambo had done it again finding a big pollock towards the end of the match. Arriving at shore we headed to the weigh in and it became clear Sam had indeed won the match - well done Sam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon everyone was ashore and Dave with Pete Atkinson summonsed us over to the presentation.

First Up was Sambo who won the Ocean Kayak sponsored by Tri Star angling

[​IMG]

Followed by the rest of the prizewinners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

What can I say, I had a brillant day and I really can't believe I won something let alone 1st prize! I have got to be the luckiest yaker in Yorkshire :embarrass:

Big thank you to Dave for organising an excellent event, as Glenn said it ran perfectly. Was good to meet you guys again and I'll be at next year's match to defend my title! :cheesy:

5. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

well done sam

6. newdave

newdave Guest

thanks for those kind words, but a huge vote of thanks must go to Pete, Gwynn & all the committee & members, Glad we did not let them down.
    Also a big thank you to Glenn & the folk on this forum for your encouragement and help.
    some great photo's Glenn, got a few from the safety boat, but yours are better :yes:

I did notice that the catches picked up when i announced Marion had a fish and was in danger of beating a few of the chaps :laugh:

wont get round to posting tonight but here is a picture of the winning fish & a few unlucky losers. I think somebody moved the north bay to the Mediterranean for a day, Blue Sky, clear sea, light winds & a very nice temperature :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    & a few from Marion really like the warning sign on the first picture :happy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. robq

robq Rockling

Well done Sambo nice fish :happy:

We couldnt have got better weather if we had asked for it !!

Big thanks to all involved with the organisation, It was a great success :yes: lets hope that it becomes a regular in the future festivals

Rob

8. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

looks brill all them photos and everyone enjoying themselves, :yes: :yes: well done to sam and the rest of the guys...guess who has just been and bought a 2nd hand malibu 2xl, paddles & pfd's this morning, :happy: :happy: me and my son can't wait to get out but will need help and advice from you lads

9. Baramundi Bob

Youul get all the help and advice you need here Sage, you coulnt meet a more helpful set of lads.

10. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i know they all have been a great help since i joined

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great day today and a big thanks to Dave for organising it. The weather was great. All in all a brilliant day out :happy:

12. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

here are some more pics my lass took
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cheers ian

13. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Awesome absolutely awesome what a fantastic day out you all must have had and a brilliant advertisement for the yorkshire coast fishery.Many congratulations to all involved both in the organising and fishing , :yes: :cool: well done one and all.

14. Jem

Jem Blenny

Well done Sam :yes: :yes: looks like you all had a canny good day, at least the weather was with you's, bet that was the most yaks seen on the N/E coast in one area :surprise:

15. IanB

IanB Blenny

Looks like you all had a brilliant day, well done Sam.

I didnt realise there was so much rough ground along marine drive, I was only a lad

the last time I attempted to fish it. :wink:

16. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Well done Sam,

A fantastic and well deserved result. It sounds like the whole event was well organised and turned out to be a great success. I wish I could have been there....

Neil.

17. smokey

smokey Rockling

Well done to all who had a go.Congrats to Sambo,it seems like you have a knack of nailing the better fish :wink: :happy: I came past the Oasis just as you guys were winding down after the match and couldn't believe how many yaks there was :surprise: You couldn't have picked a better day for it and it looked like it was enjoyed by all... tight lines.... :happy:

18. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Well done Sam really pleased for you - you are now the official big fish man by doing the bis when it matters :cool:

A great day that run smooth as clockwork, and we were blessed with the weather, I think the venue is ideal, and can not see any reason to change it, plenty of species to go at, relatively safe, close to amenities, and in full view of the locals and tourists that can only benefit the town and the festival - the only down side of the day was I didn't see Phil France also :whistle:

Roll on next year :happy:

19. GJW

GJW Rockling

Top rod Sambo...Well done mate, and well done to all who took part looks as if you all had a smashing days fishing.

Tightlines

20. SteveCBR900

SteveCBR900 New Member

Congratulations to both the winners and the organisers, what a great event to have taken part in - though it would have been nice not to have blanked. I said previously as a newcomer to the Kayak this was a part of a learing curve for me and come next year i will have a much clearer idea on whats needed. Roll on the next one.....