1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted Broken Cree Headtorch

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by mozzer, Dec 8, 2015.

1. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

[​IMG]
    Hi I am looking for one of the above headtorches to experiment with, I have an idea to modify it to just hi/low settings and improve battery duration, it can be a bit of trial and error with this kind of thing as long as the head unit is in one piece that would be ok thanks

2. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

My mate has one that has just broken mate il see if he still has it

3. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Cheers ben

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

had problems with mine ian, early hours of 31/12

had broken cable previously in head unit last year, easily resolved but head unit bit of a mare to strip with a compression ring and also heatsink paste etc.

anyway mine has depriciated in brightness, did load test today in workshop revealing batteries fine. ended up being high resistance ground cable from batt pack to main pcb. very poor quality and thin, heavily corroded on all 6 strands - replaced both neg and pos cables.

have you had a look at one internally yet ? main drive transistor is FDS 9435A
    pretty standard mosfet
    FDS9435A Datasheet(PDF) - Fairchild Semiconductor

other led control ic is cx2812 circuitry looks simple enough...

5. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Ive had one apart, if all goes well I am going to change the pcb which will do away with the strobe and give hi-med -low which will mean if you switch the lamp off on medium setting when you clik it back on it will still be on medium no need to go through the modes, the light wont be quite as bright but give longer duration, im also changing the led from cool white to neutral white its less harsh on your eyes and it doesn't bounce back like headlights in the fog.New sealed Panasonic li-ion battery should give 8 hours on full power, oh new switch[in same place] and im experimenting with a new lens to give better flood should I put a new strap on it while im on? elastic ones do go baggy

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ok, had mine a few years now, noticed the newer ones have better light quality. yeh, mine has gone a bit baggy, and in comparison how did i ever cope with the first one i bought from woolworths for £17.99 years ago ?

i remember night sessions on marine drive and they were awful...

been looking at the usual current day 2000L cheapies on aliexpress and shockingly down to less than a fiver - but you get what you pay for.

i have another spare headlamp - takes 4 aa batts, has the switch on the lamp for a choice of a halogen or a pitiful led.

7. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I remember lads wearing a bikelight around their neck lol, I think using a super bright light can be a nuisance at times to yourself and others, you don't want a super bright light fishing on scars.The old miners light we had for years were good enough and only 48 lumens now it seems 2000lumens isn't enough

• Like Like x 1
  8. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

[​IMG]
    First stage done new switch set up,cable changed the driver and LED. Changing the led gave me a slightly softer light I find the cool whit led s a little harsh at times most noticeable when it rains its a bit like been on full beam in the fog more work to do on battery pack and strap yet no more annoying strobe or having to cycle through the modes to turn off:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Ian, are you still selling those excellent headlamps like i bought from you? A pal of mine wants one!
    Please will you text me on 0777 921 4794, cheers pal, Mick Webster