1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wansford trout pond/lake?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Apollo, May 7, 2008.

1. Apollo

Apollo Blenny

Anyone fish here fairly regular? I got some fly fishing gear a while ago.... Off ebay mind cheap and cheerful. An old chap I was working for through the summer took me a few times I was getting the hang of it slowly. Unfortunately I went Travelling for a year so all the fishing got put on hold. Sadly the old boy died whilst I was away. Id like to get in to the whole fly fishing thing? Theres just soo much jargon! Anyone willing to help?

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Sorry mate its not in my neck of the woods, so cant help. Do you live in that area or further afield.? If you live a bit further North, (North Riding area) i may be able to give you some advice.

3. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

What jargon do you need help with Apollo.

4. mww

mww Rockling

Apollo

I used to fish there up until 2 or 3 years ago - only reason that I stopped going is Wykeham's a good bit closer for me.

Wansford's a really good place - bit different to most small stillwaters as the water isn't really still - flow at the inlet end is pretty fast, & there's a decent flow all teh way round - ideal for the beginner that I was at the time (& still perform like now :laugh:) as it's pretty narrow - other bank was within casting distance for me even in those days!!. Apart from near the inlet, it's actually pretty deep 8-10ft. I mainly used floating lines, & an occasional go with an intermediate - probably didn't have much more than those at the time, & probably don't need anything else.

Most standard stillwater flies worked - lures, nymphs, buzzers, etc - but most enjoyable sport was evenings on dries/ emergers - I found shipmans buzzers particularly effective there.

Loads of fish in there & some really good ones Some mates of mine went there last summer & had some real monsters - think they all had a fish over 8lb. Don't know what they currently charge, but used to be really cheap at around £5 for 5hrs catch & release.

Guys who run the place are really friendly, think it's 3 brothers - Kevin the ginger haired one was usually the one around the trout lake - he admitted at the time that he was not a trout angler, mainly coarse, but was always willing to pass on what had been catching. He was on about getting some trout gear at the time, & I'd bet if he went through with that he'll be a pretty competent fly fisher by now - you would be with your own trout lake wouldn't you :happy:

Got some contacts:

Kevin's number is 01377 240329/ 07887 662796

Their website is:

www.wansfordfishing.coolfreepage.com

email:

wansford_fishing@yahoo.co.uk

Good luck - let us know how you get on!!

Cheers

Mart

5. Apollo

Apollo Blenny

I have a bag of all sorts? Think you can say I have all the gear and no Idea! Cheers for the help! I might drop through one night next week? Ill give some one a ring! Cheers thanks alot!
    Callum

6. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Apollo its a voyage of discovery for me too. Walked into the Derwent resevoir shop last year and said "right lads i,m a sea fisherman and i have,nt a clue about trout fishing where do i start".
    Rangers spot on i got a fly fishing starter kit for £120 which also included a free days fishing. Tried ledgering with power bait but easy and boring. Then turned my hand/practisedwith fly. No lessons just lots of tips and practise. I,m not to bad at the moment and i,m catching fish.
    It is very enjoyable and rewarding.

Mick.