1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voluntary closed season for cod?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by wilky, Mar 2, 2010.

1. wilky

wilky Blenny

Paul made a point in the 'record cod , should it have gone back?' post about the cod being roed up at the moment.

I started to feel real guilty about opening a cod up and finding it full of roe, which is obviously where next years fish come from. I try now not to fish for pressured species such as cod at that time of year, and I am a confirmed kill it cook it eat it man. Maybe my efforts are a tiny drop in the ocean, but there are plenty of moans on here about lack of fish - well guys, why not do a little bit for the future of your stocks? Give more of them chance to breed.

2. Acko

Acko Rockling

I agree with Wilky We should release more breeding fish If we can
    However I fish close in on my small boat and when I see Trawlers grinding up n down and up n down all day and all night less than 3/4 of a mile where we Rod fish i do think Whats the Point???
    Sorry but It really does dishearten me

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Makes me laugh. If you asked the question of how many fish people had actually caught this winter, then that tells a story in itself. The majority of people on this site caught less than 10 fish this winter, a large percentage never had a cod. How many people have had 1 with spawn it ?? I bet the answer is less than 10. Rather than suggesting anglers return fish you should put your efforts into a few letters to DEFRA asking them what they are going to do about huge-scale commercials discards, black fish and the targeting of Juvenile fish in the Herring spawn.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

I firmly disagree with this as anglers generally being the willing type would subscribe to this- and in the eye of the broader public it would be seen as us admitting we are part of the problem when we are clearly not.

5. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Glens views on this subject i'm sure will be echoed by most,dont ever feel guilty for taking a couple of cod a year,i respect your views BUT if it wasn't for the greedy trawler skippers we wouldn't be having to read this post....simple!!

6. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

easy this one... i will leave my rod at home for the same amount of time as the commercials dont fish.... sorted..
    cheers..
    Paul

7. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

8. Baramundi Bob

9. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

the trawlers no exactly where the cod spawn and all queue up to go around and around like a merry go round ,talk about ruining your own livelyhood its just greed,when they have hooverd them all up in the near future ,they will be all crying on the news asking for compensation,and our thick goverment will most likely pay them it ?

10. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I read somewhere on the net that trawlers targeting cod can fish for about 110 days then they have to lease more days? don’t know who they lease them off? They apparently can lease cod as well, don’t know who they lease that off either? Will keep reading and try and find out. If anybody knows then I would like to lease a 55lb cod for next time I go fishing :yes:
    Tommy.

11. Baramundi Bob

I understand that Manchester united own a lot of cod quota. There are also a lot of track record skippers who get quota despite the fact they no longer fish. This is sold too. Its Bonkers. I dont understand this business of buying quota, its all wrong, surely when you have caught your lot, that should be it.

12. GRAWLER

GRAWLER Guest

13. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

I feel I'm doing more than my fair share for cod conservation, my closed season was from march 2009 til march 2010 :whistle: