1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHF Designated Channel (The Channel 66 Club)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Acko, May 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Acko

Acko Rockling

I want to Start a thread on here, regarding VHF radios.
    I want anyone who uses VHF radios who knows All us lads on here Boats/Kayaks etc, to All put a designated Channel into the "Scan" on all our radios.
    Some lads using 10 others using 13 also these channels regularly have other traffic on.
    With m,y suggestion If we all Monitor and Use some ocscure channel then We got good chance of getting hold of each other and we can talk/chat without interupting others or being Interupted.
    My Suggestion is channel 66 As in CG66 Scheme which were all members?
    Easy to remember
    THE 66 CLUB
    If u put CH 66 IN scan mode on yr VHF Your automatically a member. Also If we put our names-details online somewhere We will all know who were talking to
    What you say Guys?

2. Acko

Acko Rockling

Somebody Check CH 66 is Ok to use as Ive lent out my VHF Handbook
    Cheers
    Acko (Black Bess)

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

apparently 66 is a Marine VHF Public Correspondence channel

4. Acko

Acko Rockling

Sounds Like Its Ours Then Chaps!

5. bigfat

bigfat New Member

66 will do for me,

6. newdave

newdave Guest

Marine VHF ship to ship working channels
    Primary channels VHF channel 06 08 72 77

Secondary channels (shared) VHF channel 09 10 15 17 67 73

should not be using anything else ship To ship
    if you start hopping about channels that are allocated for other puposes you will get a bollocking at best & cause a hazard at worst

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

channel 10 is what we tend to use, why dont we all just agree on 10

8. Acko

Acko Rockling

It is Public correspondance isnt it? Not ship to ship?
    Im just sick of talking to some lads on 10 and others on 13 when we all fishing in same area
    PLUS 10 and 13 are used by lots of others at same time
    All Im suggesting is we put it in Scan Mode on Rad Nothing to stop anyone Scanning 10 and 13 simoultaneously
    How on earth could it cause an accident? Please Explain?
    I still think its a good Idea.

9. newdave

newdave Guest

you should not be using 13 for ship to ship either,its a navigational safety channel that will be used by shippng aproaching the tees etc. fortunatley they transmit with so much power they wil just go over the top of you. Also people use some of the channels for construction work, for instance crane operations, just one way you could interfere & cause an accident.

not going to get in an argument Acko, but this is why they want people to do a course. if not at least read the free stuff on the net. the correct procedure is to listen on ch 16 & move to a permitted working channel, same goes if you listen on 10 & its busy you just select another like 72 ?

10. Acko

Acko Rockling

Ive been on the Phone to Humber Coastguard
    I explained to them We go out on Small boats and Kayaks
    I told them of my Idea of designating a channel For our own Public correspondance
    They told me It is a good Idea They looked up Ch 66 as the chosen channel They agreed It was a good choice (I explained about the CG66 link)
    They telephoned Ofcom to verify We can use channel 66 and Called me back and confirmed "that Its Fine" Coastguard also Checked to see if Any Ports were using 66 and It appears Not.
    Ive asked Ofcom to send me the Terms and Conditions and they are looking into any reason why we cant use CH66 For our purposes. It appears so far theres no reason why not
    They also told Me Ch 10 is a channel already in use as is 13 and It would be prefferable for us to use a different channel If were having a Meet up Like the ones weve been having locally
    As Im acting safety boat for some of the Kayaks, Humber coastguard told me Its a Very sensible Idea to use a "Communal" Channel (His own words)
    Bearing that in mind Id still like to suggest we monitor CH66 Especially If were meeting up locally and Im with you lads
    Id also Like to tell Boats like Wild Card and Sea Otter we will be hanging around on 66 So we can also have a natter with our Boating Friends Without Having to Tie Up Ch 16 Shouting and then moving to another channel.

11. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Top stuff Paul always best to clear it with the authorities they will keep you right.Nice to see your taking your mother hen responsibilities seriously.Once again I commend your dedication to the wellbeing and safety of your chicks lol.

12. Acko

Acko Rockling

Nutter Foo LOL
    Ive just Put CH66 into my radio It now scans 10,13,16 and 66
    Im sticking to it
    I hope some of you lads Join me Im going to tell my mates If they want me they can Shout me on 66 and Ill be monitoring it.
    Dont know what the fuss is about ??? LOL

13. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Hi Acko - guess your vhf is a fixed unit, not handheld? If I scan with a handheld, it seems to go through the battery very quickly. Maybe we could just switch "on sight" to 66 when we see each other?

14. kipper

kipper New Member

according to the rules one has to spend as little time to get the message across without too much gossiping. should'nt we get on with the fishing and use 6,8,72&77?

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Acko,

Me and you need a private channel so you can tell me where all the fish are.

16. Acko

Acko Rockling

OK BUT DONT TELL ANYONE THE NUMBER GLEN LOL

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Mums the word

18. bucko

bucko New Member

[​IMG]

19. newdave

newdave Guest

Ok, this has been bugging me as I new you could not use that channel but could not remember why, so here goes, by all means all call on ch66 but I suspect you will not get a reply for the following reason :educated:

Ch 66 along with a lot of the other channels is a duplex channel designed for ship to shore communications, a bit of a throwback to the days before mobile & satellite communications when you would call up a shore station & link into the phone system. & it does away with the need to stop transmitting to receive
    Below is an explanation
    A B
    Ch66 Ship to Shore duplex 156.325 160.925
    Ch06 ship to ship simplex 156.300 156.300

A simplex channel is where the A and B frequencies are the same. Both stations use the same frequency. If both stations are in range the conversation will be heard.

A duplex channel is where the A and B frequencies are different. The two stations use different frequencies. Only one side of the conversation will be heard.

With duplex channels, the ship station transmits on the lower (A) frequency and listens on the upper (B) frequency. The shore station transmits on the upper (B) frequency and listens on the lower (A) frequency

As both parties will be transmitting on the same channel but not receiving it you cannot make ship to ship calls on ch 66

By all means try but I suspect you will be back to selecting one of the designated intership channels,

20. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Sooo, back to Ch 10?