1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Wire On Hooks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by smokey, Nov 10, 2014.

1. smokey

smokey Rockling

Quick question chaps, do any of you guys use wire on your hook shank, to help hold the bait in place?

If so, which specific wire are you using and can someone put a quick pic of the finished article up?

Cheers guys. :)

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

There you go Mart,I use paper clips,because they are cheap, bendy and just the right length. I never fish a cocktail or crab bait without wire now. Only my worm rigs are unwired, keeps the point from being masked. Thanks Glenn for originally posting about wired hooks a few years ago.

Attached Files:

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

Just what i was after dave, much appreciated ;)

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

You thinking of trying em ?

I always make sure the tag ends are facing away from the bend as well so that I mount the bait on the back and the tags help keep it in place....maybe a bit OCD but its what seems to work for me ;)

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

I've just finished some big cart baits and will definitely be trying the wire with em, I'll be doing em the same as yours dave so it burys nicely into a bigger bait :) ;)

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I used to use garden wire , but sometimes I think I over wired them, the paper clips keep the full bend of the hook clear, which in my mind means that the hooking potential isn't impeded.....like I said maybe OCD but it gives me that all important confidence ;) A bit like the circle hook pennel I suppose. 8)

7. robq

robq Rockling

Same here smokey :) I rig mine exactly the same as dave

I use soft galv wire though not the plastic coated stuff

B&Q sell it in the garden section, but also poundland sell some in the tool section ;) you get 4 coils and a pair of snips for the grand sum of £1 :eek: enough to last you years ;D

8. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers Rob and Jelly.
    Great tip that.
    I often use a 'z' shaped 1 inch bit of steel wire, with one arm through eye and plush with shank, so remaining forms an upwards facing hook.
    But moving to your idea in future. Much better.
    Awesome.
    Thanks.

9. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use soft galv wire though not the plastic coated stuff

you can use the "plastic coated wire " from freezer bag sealers supplied with some bags.

a little delicate but do the job in certain emergencies.

when I read Big Cliffs original post , used paper clips for bigger baits very improved

hook up results.

its on the site somewhere

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have been playing about with galvanised wire , my latest one is for using a large bait --- I will try and explain == I took a decent length of wire , pushed the wire through the eye of the hook , an offset eye is best , I then wrapped the wire in tight coils around the hook shank 8 to 10 turns leaving a long tag end after the coils ---- I then made a small eye in the wire about an inch and a quarter
    above the hook eye , then made a series of tight coils in the wire again leaving a long tag end , the hook trace mono was then tied to
    the small eye in the wire , if you wanted to you could attach a snap fastener to the trace mono allowing you to put a pre baited hook on , the hook / wire holder is baited up the long tags stop the bait moving at all ensuring the hook point is clear at all times , it works
    a treat

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

Cheers guys, plenty of food for thought there.

12. bow1

bow1 Rockling

i also use paperclips.passing wire through eye leaving a small tag the 4/5 turns turns down shank,trimming bto magain leave a tag.

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

I just use solder wire in a thin gauge , it doesn't stick right out like the paper clip does but it tends to grab the bait and elastic and stop it from sliding down the hook.

14. dad

dad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good topic. Never tried it, but will now. Thanks

15. onelove oneunited

onelove oneunited Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Small square of plastic (margarine tub cut into squares ) hook it through middle thread down to eye add big bait and bait cotton it will never move.

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I wrap bait elastic round my hook and form a bit of a bump with it just before the bend, seems to work

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

That's all I do matty , I hate paper clips , especially when you are as clumsy as me and prick your finger every time you unhook fish lol

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

Haha same here Dav always end up putting the paper clip into me thumb.. I have a big spool of softer wire which I find better.. Does help when using big baits..

19. cps

cps Rockling

I use elastic , carnt see why you need the wire

20. riley.

riley. Blenny

I agree chris each to their own I suppose , I always put cart on defrosted now , takes more cotton but never moves off hook like using frozen sticks , found it works for me