1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing Uptiding Rigs - advice needed

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BigPauly, Nov 5, 2015.

1. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Hi
    I've got myself booked on an uptiding trip with Sea Otter 2 later this month and hope to get some advice on this as I have never fished this method before. I got myself an uptide rod and penn 535 loaded up with 25lb mono.
    I'm hoping to tie up some rigs in advance and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the type of hooks and best size (single or pennel) type of rig, snood length, line rig weight, lead weight size etc.

Also how much and what baits should I take to get me through a days session.

I guess everyone will have a slightly different take on this but basically any advice at all will be appreciated.

Cheers

BP

2. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am sure Paul will keep you right.. But what I use is a 4 or 5 ft hook length with a 5/0 hook with a 3/0 circle hook as a pennel that clips onto either your main line swivel or a short trace going to your lead , which is a grapnel I also put either a small swivel or a lesser breaking strain line direct onto the lead. no booms or such like , they only cause tangles.
    The hardest thing I found was DON'T STRIKE.. you only have to reel the fish in. You cast in or drop it over the side depending on where on the boat you are and then let a big bow of line out, sit back and enjoy :D

3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Try get some braid mate. 300m 40/60pound.

4. simon22

simon22 Rockling

What day u fishing

5. BigPauly

Hi Mate

I believe we're booked for 24th Nov.

6. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

forgot to mention squid and lug will do but if you have cart it might be worth a punt :) I'll be taking some with me ( maybe some peeler and mussel as well ;))
    weight usually 6 or 8oz will do.

7. simon22

simon22 Rockling

So not in festival. Where do u live mate. If near whitby why not book on on 22nd on sea otter. Can help u out. Please please please get rid of mono. Braid is best I promiss

8. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Can not believe lads that
    u r not pushing braid for boats. U know it's best.

9. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Personally I use 35lb mono for uptiding, With the thicker diameter of the mono it catches the tide easier than braid putting a decent "Bow" in the line.
    But everyone to his own I guess

10. BigPauly

I'm in Leeds mate.

11. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Forgot to say @BigPauly. You will be fishing with one of the best skippers in whitby(no offence meant to other skippers). If you follow Paul's and daves advice and ask dave or Paul to set a rig up for you you will catch plenty. Nothing complicated regarding fishing uptide. Very simple rigs that catch a lot of fish. Think more about your bait and change it every cast. I try to fish to a set time. Thirty mins tops. If no fish by then reel in and put a fresh one out

12. Platypus Boy

Platypus Boy Blenny

Mono fishes fine mate I prefer it to braid to sensative is braid and u end up losing a good few fish

13. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Got to totally disagree. Braid is now use by the majority on boats. The hire reels on the boats I have fished on are all loaded with braid. Can count on one hand the amount of fish lost while on boats myself, and seen many many pounds of fish landed. This is just my findings and I am sure others may disagree. Use what your comfi with but braid allow less weight better bite detection and more fun in the fight. Imo

14. simon22

simon22 Rockling

That said. There are far better anglers than me on the site. Would like to read what others think on the matter. As said only my opinion and more qualified anglers than me could offer more advice

15. Platypus Boy

Platypus Boy Blenny

I ment for up-tiding. braid is the only choice in wreck fishing but seen as the thread was made with uptide as the header I thought Paulie was meaning for uptiding in which I do prefer to use mono, braid for me uptiding is to sensitive reading to much into "knocks" thinkinf that it's on and it isn't I've been guilty of it myself especially when the fishing is hard, I find with mono when rods nodding well it's more or less on,

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Platypus Boy

Platypus Boy Blenny

And do you strike when you are uptiding

17. simon22

simon22 Rockling

No mate. I just reel untill lead breaks out or if that has happened already on the bite I just reel til line tight and play the fish slow and steady