1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unhelpful Whitby Anglers - Why don't people help each other more in fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ian 07, Dec 18, 2010.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

As you would have said to me ------- chill out Paul :yes: :yes:

2. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

Seems strange to mention Denis when the reference to taking marks to your grave was actually referring to Whacker :confused:

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Just who are you saying is unhelpful then Buzz? I've had loads of help from very well respected men on here, Ramrod, Glassback, Subman, BB, Andycod, CPS, Mopman, MMW, etc etc. obviously your not going to get "cast there on a 5.4 on a dying SE in December after Corrie, when Chelsea are top" but they have always given enough to make you go out and work things out for your self - in return I'd like to think I've helped them with the odd thing and others too, I get quite a lot of satisfaction in helping others with regards fishing, I was even pleased for young Arliss when I took him down Staintondale, told him to try there and got winning fish and 4th, whilst I spent the rest of the match stretching my 3 micro mops - if I had any advise for anyone it would be find your own marks away from the masses, it's much more fun and rewarding, plus you can have a dump in peace if your caught short

4. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

As in all walks of life some people just don't want to give every trade secret away and has its already been said there's nothing wrong with leaving some homework to the apprentice to work out for themselves.
    I think on this forum the vast majority of guys will help out with info via PM and there are also those that will go the extra mile to physically put anglers on fish as can be seen by the catch reports on here.They know who they are and never feel the need to blow their own trumpet but get great pleasure from seeing other guys catch fish.
    There is also nothing better than finding your own marks be it from the shore or afloat especially when your fishing new turf (Husoy 2009 :educated: ) but sometimes a helping hand or friendly word is helpfull especially to a beginner.

P.S Quint please will you take me for a few sessions bassing down your way next Summer don't mind if I have to wear a blindfold honestly :embarrass: :embarrass:

5. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

I couldn't have put it better myself! :happy:

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Think he got confused

7. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I think you lot have read it wrong in general why don't people help youngsters getting in to the sport .
    Quint you Are a welsh racist you just told me you will take anyone bassing as long as hes not welsh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    lads who have helped me are ramrod,glassback,quint, spawney, carpyken,briggboy, gjw, and Glenn
    Anyway talking about bass I've just ordered 1 of these for bassing
    http://www.mrfishjersey.com/reels/quantum/quantum-epti-40-ti-a.html

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

''

wot u on about chill out paul, im just sharing memories , i wasnt getting flustered allan , just sharing my experience's with others, its not my fault the today angler catches more than the yesterday angler.

and back to topic, i would have never shared the info of all them big fish with anyone, when i think of it , i was telling glenn they were all off bernies ledge that year.

you only ever fish big cliffs , people dont want to go there so your advice mite be dated

9. manutd

manutd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just to add to the debate, I am new to this website and have only met a couple of people from the site while out fishing so i arnt particularly known on this site, But i have put 2 or 3 posts on asking for any ideas of where to try for fish as had a few blanks and had no replies......plenty of people looking but not 1 response.

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I dont think i myself have seen any of your post,
    but if you ask away i will see what i can do :yes:
    my stomping ground is hartlepool to whitby so fire away matey.

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I think the whole topic revolve's around what can be described as "more"! Everyone I have ever come into contact with while fishing has given me some sort of information. Some use it and some abuse it. I have told people things in the past, in confidence, then the next minute everyone and his dog knows about it or even being quoted word for word on site. If that is what I wanted I would have done it myself! As has been mentioned on another thread, there is a proportion of anglers who gather as much info as possible from others who are never to be heard of again as far as redressing the balance is concerned!

People/anglers are not always secretive but they can be selective as to who they tell certain information. What and who they tell is based on trust and the more trusted you are the more info you will get. How you use that info is down to the individual but there will be forfeit's to pay if you overstep the mark.

Dennis, and I hope he dosn't mind me bringing him into the topic again, is one of the most respected anglers on this coast. He does not give things away freely. Is he unhelpful, certainly not. He's just "more" helpfull to some than he is to others.

12. manutd

manutd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thank you harrythecod. All i put on my posted for in the past was to see if anyone had any idea of where to fish that night, rather than just going to runswick and hoping.

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I dont do as much angling as i used to Paul , but you dont know how much angling you will be doing 30 years from now , do you ?
    Unlike yourself Paul I have tried to help people where i can , on many aspects of angling --- FACT , I may have quite a few years on the clock but I dont consider myself a yesterdays angler --- YET , I will know when to call it a day but take it from me thats a few years off , I have still got plenty to do on the fishing front --- FACT , I would not swap what I have done over the years , the good times , the
    bad times with anybody , the banter , etc etc , what i would have hated was to have only had knowledge of a few marks ie south gare
    saltburn pier, port mulgrave , goldsborough , and the west pier at whitby , that would have done my head in , you cant beat a good thick book , of my 20 double figure cod I have caught from the shore none of them have been cardboard cutouts , and have been achieved using only ONE ROD , none of the 2 or 3 rods for me !!!! , What i believe would be better is to make worthwhile remarks to
    to many of the quality posts that have been put on the forum by quite a few anglers , I hope this clears things up and we can put it to bed :yes: :yes: :yes:

14. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

there are many anglers on this forum that are very gratefull for the help you've given them alan, i've fished nearly as long as you, but the knowledge of marks far and wide you have is better than anyone i know - i'll never get that now - there aint enough years left

15. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Far from being obstructive, forum members are very helpful. It's taken me a little while but I've arrived at the understanding that the only thing you'll struggle to get an answer on is the question of marks and venues. But baits, tackle, rigs, knots, sea states - this forum is great. I'm grateful for the knowledge I've managed to glean but accept that no-one is going to share knowledge of where is fishing well at a given moment. You don't have to like it but just accept it; don't bitch, fish.

Steve.