1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyne and Wear Migratory Fish

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by lochbois, Aug 30, 2011.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

My mate is a none fisher and today he said to me.
    Did you see the TV about the River Wear Salmon, and that the Tyne and Wear are the best salmon rivers in England.
    Yes i said,
    Fooled me and him anyway.

Baac have never said i cant discuss the water they own or rent.
    I said to the committe members we need the internet ect to advertice the club waters.
    Not long after that the Trout and Salmon did an article on the Wear .
    One forum i used to be on didnt like me trying to start a River Wear report when i found out what the internet was.
    They said . Lochbois fishes a little river called the Wear and occasionally catches a sea-trout.
    Well that site now has members from the north /east reporting the Wear daily with their Salmon catches.
    Bishop Auckland and District Angling Club which i have been a member of for many years have a website they have water on the Tees ,Wear, and the Witton Castle Trout fishery.

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Lets get real here.
    No one views Wear as a little river with a few sea trout.
    Its known throughout the fishing world as the most consistent sea trout river in England.
    The catch returns and fish pass data is there for everyone to see.

You've even got guides who usually work on the likes of Towy at £250 a day offering guided fishing on Wear.

Go figure what that means about what the nations fisherman think of the Wear.

3. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ive been an angler all my life, fly fished for years. I worked on pretty much every fish farm in the area for nearly 20 years producing restocking Brownies, Rainbows, Blues, goldens, arctic charr

Ive stocked the coquet, tyne, wear,tees, wansbeck, esk, pretty much all the major stillwaters in the north of england. Ive electrofished the Annan, cree, nith, tweed, eden, and various northern tributaries. You could pretty much say Ive seen more Trout and Salmon than the average man.

If you lot want to assume that the Wear and Tyne are the "best Salmon rivers in the country", then fair enough.
    The picture below is from a Northern river, the Salmon weighed just shy of twenty pounds and was one of 6 caught in 90 mins.
    That was six on the bank, not forgetting the 3 I lost in 30 mins, or the 2 my other fishing buddy caught the day previous plus the four he lost in a 2 hr session. Not only that these are big fish averaging 15-20 lbs
    [​IMG]
    Now if someone can tell me that is possible on the Wear, or Tyne then I think theyre lying. Ive seen the catch reports published on the web for the Tyne system, I cant remember exact figures, but for number of fish being caught/ or the potential to be caught I believe this river beats them hands down.
    I dont want to name it, I dont want it being invaded for obvious reasons.

4. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Who is the North/East anglers supposed to believe with regards to migratory fish in our rivers?.
    Me and my friend watch on the daily BBC News the E/A officer Mr Jenkins tell us the Wear is second in England and then others tell us its not true.
    I thought it was great news but now i feel as though i have watched something else on another TV in another country.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

j99oel you make me sick . :laugh: :laugh:.....only joking mate that is some bonny fish looks as fresh as fresh can be too...well done ...
    So are you saying that river is one of the best ? is it consistnet with themtype catches or was it just a run of fish moving through ?

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Thats a cracking fresh fish J99oel and looking at the pics it looks like a mid summer fish very well done. Must be pushing 20 is it ?

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Very nice fish Joel.
    I don't blame you for keeping the location under your hat- and no offence taken in you doing so. After all, those tracker devices are quite cheap these days :whistle:
    I've a day on a tributary of a northern river to take in the next month- which 'given water' will be absolutely bouncing with fish.

8. j99oel

The fish move into the river in April in big numbers, they are around right through to the back end..... the odd one does get caught in Feb too. Its a river most people dont give a second glance at as a Salmon river... people need to get off their arses and go and find their own fish, instead of following and doing what everyone else is doing.

Joel

9. j99oel

And as for fish counters on/ in fish passes... Salmon jump weirs not travel thru passes, dont believe the figures you read on the net, go out and look for yourselves.

10. bucko

bucko New Member

On a similar theme- the lads on the sea fishing section often say "You can't catch fish that have already been caught"

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Surely the E/A need to know how many fish are in our rivers. Thats why we pay for a licence in England in the hope that the E/A looks after them isnt it.

12. Davo

Davo Rockling

nice fish, well done

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Wear fish dont show themselves all the time.
    I tell a lot of visiting anglers that just because you dont see a fish all day there is none in the river.
    I ve seen the river change the last few years when the fish start boiling like rainbow trout just before the sun disappears and darkness sets in.
    These fish are takeing fish because thats when i usually catch one.
    Then i am going home and the lads are arriveing 1-2 hours in the dark and thinking the river hasnt a fish in it.
    I dont know if other rivers are the same because i only fish the Wear.

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

Did you get many more of them beasts joel ? Did you get them in low water with the fly ? cheers

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Im no expert on salmon fishing and all the north east rivers but what i can say is the wear a excellent salmon river from what ive seen and witnessed this season ,before i fished it much ide always thought of it as a major seatrout river but after seeing it this season ide say it was more of a salmon river with a good head of seatrout .? is this because the seatrout have crashed or have the salmon numbers increased , i suspect not as ive heard a few stories of fishing in gone years for salmon being excellent , roamer has it it is no were near as good a seatrout river as it was .
    A lad i was speaking too last night was telling me he banked a silver 30lber think it was september , he said he should be in trout and salmon soon. he also told me hed had another 2 20lb plus fish . The fish that seemed to be coming out early on when the grilse should of been there were all good salmon . seen quite alot of fish of the same size has joel has got come out of the wear from what i seen , obviously 90 % of them were caught un fair but just shows the river is in good order .
    imagoine what it could be like if there wasnt as many salmon whipped out . do you think there would be a massive incrase in fish if the snatchers never took all the fish they do ?