1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyne and Wear Migratory Fish

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by lochbois, Aug 30, 2011.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

North East news says the E/A Has the Tyne as the number one Salmon river in England.
    Number Two is the Wear.
    Well i hope that in the future the Tees gets the attention it needs from the owners of the Barrage , Britishwaterways and the E/A.
    The Angling Trust has become involved so lets hope they keep the pressure up .
    I get told we dont need publicity because the prices will rise.
    But we cant have a fishing club with half its membership paying these rents.
    Full membership helps everybody and i have always said BAAC great value for money fishing.
    The Tees has the fish below that Barrage why do the seal population figures keep riseing.
    Its not the Seafish they are getting fat on these days, if that was true they wouldnt leave the coast.
    Lets not forget that other great little river the Yorkshire Esk.

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Firstly Peter- Wear is not the 2nd best salmon river in England.
    According to the declared catches Eden, Lune, Derwent and Ribble have far higher numbers of salmon.
    As a sea trout river though- its up there, no question.

But, I must admit I am struggling with this thread a bit.

This year has seen routine lowering of the gates, the cage gone, the construction of the white water course and a counter put in so that a feasible and accurate study of the fish can be undertaken.
    All massive positives for Tees migratory fish.

It really does seem to me that steps are been taken and that should be applauded rather than criticised.

It might not be total solution- but I would like to hope it proves an encouraging start.

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

"Wear the 2nd best salmon river?" What a load of tosh, as it cant live anywhere near the Tees for salmon, but for seatrout, its the dogs b@llocks.

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

If the Tees does get the recognition you tirelessly strive for Peter will it not have an adverse effect with spiralling costs and more and more beats being let out to the highest bidder like some tributaries of the Tyne have been ?

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thats why Tees anglers keep shush, Foo.

6. bucko

bucko New Member

The three new fish counters might make them look right duffers when the stats come out!!!

7. foo

Thats just what I was thinking gents lol.

8. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I have thanked the E/A any times . Before i got this computor i didnt know what E- mail was. The Teeside Gazette has always supported me . FF&FT Magazine gave me 100% support.The Trout and Salmon wernt intrested in my writen letters. British Waterways called game anglers the minority.
    The Angling Trust has talked personaly to me by letters.
    I wrote to MPS in 2002 long before i got a computor.
    I am a member of BAAC who have water on the Tees they dont have a full membership.
    If a club has no members it cant buy or rent water its as simple as that.
    If you dont advertise you wont get people joining. Full membership means cheaper subs or more money to put in to the rivers.
    Why do you think pubs and social clubs are closeing at an alarming rate.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

Well as said earlier- three fish passes that all have counters and British Waterways and The EA conducting a study is a good start.

Don't know how you got onto BAAC only having half memberhship but I always thought it was a club rule that you don't discuss them or their water on the internet.

Looks like this thread is very little to do with Tyne & Wear migratory fish though!

10. foo

Sorry to disagree with you Peter because you have obviously campaigned long and hard on the Tees, However, I have a very good friend who buys a salmon and seatrout permit every year along with his father for the Coquet. At this very moment in time the lads are in very real danger of losing their right to purchase seasonal permits because the greedy landowner of one of the banks is selling off or trying to sell off the fishing rights to the highest bidder. Both the lads subscribe to another forum and it has got to the stage where they no longer dare report catches for fear of raising even more interest in the river. Where will that leave the rights of the anglers and what are the BAAC views on this ?

11. foo

Apologies for discussing BAAC on the internet Ian, I am afraid I had never heard of them until this thread.

12. bucko

bucko New Member

Makes no odds if you're not a member Foo- you're not, I'm not so no repercussions for us.

13. foo

Try telling that to the lads who fish the Coquet who are in very real danger of losing their right to fish because of the greed of the Duke of Northumberland because in part of the publicised fish numbers declared on the river.

14. bucko

bucko New Member

The numbers speak for themselves.
    http://www.salmonatlas.com/salmon-statistics/england-salmonstats2009.html

With regard to Coquet- one worrying concern on there (and other rivers closer to home) is while measures are being made to enhance salmon stocks, sea trout stocks are in decline- especially runs that happen within certain times of year (ie: the Summer runs of fish).

15. foo

Ian you are spot on about the trout on the coquet in particular. Without divulging to much info publicly my friend and his Dad have been doing quite well on the salmon this year but have yet to land a single sea trout between them.
    Just on a slightly more positive note however I witnessed a good run of small sea trout on skinny beck at the weekend and also got reports of a similar run at steers so perhaps there is still time for improvement on the bigger rivers.

16. bucko

bucko New Member

I hope so Foo.
    Its the last day for the netters today so with the growing tides we could see a few more fish heading upstream.

17. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Comparing catch figures to determine the run of fish in a river system is so wrong.
    Example, the River Lune Lancashire, the clubs that have the fishing only have a small limited number of anglers, and many beats are fly only.
    The River Wear clubs have by far more members, with very little to limited the method used to catch fish.
    Both Rivers have good runs of fish, and the declared rod catch in recent years is very similar, but from what i have experience the Lune has by far the better Salmon run.

18. bucko

bucko New Member

Its a tricky one- but we can only use the data that is available.
    Its only when you try to draw a sensible conclusion you realise how scant the information really is.

19. bucko

bucko New Member

Whether you choose to believe it or not- catch returns and fish pass statistics are the only meaningful data available.

Hearsay, rumour and speculation are a whole lot less accurate than these figures.

But, back to the reason I put that link up in the first place- Wear is not the second best salmon river in the country FACT.

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Personally i would guess the only reall way to find out how many salmon a river gets is by counting them and giving a factor for fish that escaped being counted , then somehow try to determine if they are salmon or seatrout . Fair enough you could use catch returns but i wouldnt always trust them .
    To be honest ive never seen as many salmon come out of a river than what ive witnessed at durham on the wear byt the snatchers , i also watched the fish counter once and for every fish that ran the counter i must of seen 2 fish jumping or nosing at the gaps in the main dam , all big salmon too , a lad i was watching them with was also down the day before and counted 40 odd salmon run the counter in half hre .....
    I think the wear has got to be up there , altho like i say ive not seen other rivers much