1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Nights And Two Snapped Greys Rods - You Couldnt Make It Up

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Here is an update on my dealings with Greys Customer service.

Monday 10th October

Waited 25 minutes on the phone to greys. Left on Hold and never got through to anyone. Ended up having to hang up as I was going to be late to work. So sent the following email.

No reply received as yet.

2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Who let your New Year in Glenn ? thats a real bummer , I dont think you can beat the Zippers myself , they can take a hell of alot of
    rough work without complaining

3. robq

robq Rockling

The lifetime garantee makes me laugh really !!

Why should you have to stump up £30 for a replacement part that obviously has manufacturing defects and is not fit for purpose :suspious:

The trouble is you are on a stcky wicket with them being the age they are :whatever:

I had 2 pairs of MK2 apollos replaced by Greys a long while back and I never paid a penny, as their lifetime garantee does not supercede consumer rights laws :no:

Mine didnt snap but the rings were rusting very badly from under the high build which was cracked on all of the whippings within 4 months of buying !! the 2 nd pair went the same way in less time !! ( this was despite rinsing in fresh water after every trip ) they next upgraded me to a pair of platinum XS for no extra cost and beleive it or not these did the same :surprise: they replaced them AGAIN !! without any cost to me, but i sold these on with the tags still attatched and unused.

The MK1s were a great rod and british built :yes: so much for progress :whatever:

4. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Two Nights And Two Snapped Grey's Rods - You Couldnt Make It Up

Aye progress to the east in search of a faster bigger profit seems to be most brands big downfall nowadays :yes:

5. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I dont want to put a dampner on it glenn but i sent greys an email about their shockingly bad quality with their waders i went throu 3 pairs in 4 months and i never recieved a reply. :no:

6. bow1

bow1 Rockling

glenn im in teeside but if your stuck,ive got a mK 1n appollo,rebuilt but missing a couple inches of tip and a AFAW big beach ive rebuilt.ive used it two seasons on local rocks and east scotland it copes fine.
    If sea gets away,ill probably be down whitby way later in week ,could drop em of if you dont get sorted first.

7. littlecod

littlecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

trust me its not thefirst and it wont be the last that sNAPS.

8. littlecod

littlecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i snapped mine in festival. down BLEU WYKE last cast luckily striking a fish.

9. DICKYFISH

DICKYFISH New Member

HI Glen i have a broom stick commonly known as a 1980s conoflex, if that helps, :laugh: or a 1980s Paul Kerry a bit spongy now but still works well, argh tha'ts when they could make rods. :laugh:

10. Baramundi Bob

Still no reply. Mike 33 is going to lend me a rod. I shall keep this topic updated on my progress with Greys. Lets see how good their customer service really is.

11. Baramundi Bob

Got a reply today. Its going to cost me £100 to get the 2 rods replaced. Now thats some warranty:

Please follow the instructions below when returning broken sections -

1 Cut the broken section only into 4" pieces and return in a padded envelope.

2 Enclose full name and address details - including daytime telephone number.

3 Enclose full details of the rod - model, length, line rating & sections (2, 3 or 4piece)

4 Enclose payment for £50.00 per section to cover handling charge

Unfortunately the warranty charge has increased over the years and it is currently set at £50.00 each.

Graham Pirie
    CSD Supervisor

Tel Direct: +44 (0) 1665 511504

Websites:
    http://www.hardyfishing.com
    http://www.greysfishing.com
    http://www.chubfishing.com

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Depending how you look at things Glenn, £100 to upgrade two 6 year old rods that have seen a lot of service to brand new equivalents may be seen as quite cheap really. You will of course once again receive the lifetime garantee. £50 per rod "Handling fee" maybe is a bit steep and it is really really bad luck to have both go within hours of each other but you could always cash in one of the brand new ones to cover your costs and still have a brand new one for fishing.

13. Baramundi Bob

Id like to see a break down of the costs. Fifty pounds is rather excessive for delivery of a tip section. My guess is this £50 covers the price of the rod at cost, as well.

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

cut the broken section into 4inch sections?? What are they on, they cannot expect the average man in the street to do this surely? The actually act of shopping a section up is a bit dangerous....and so is the carbon/glass dust that's created.

15. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I would agree.

16. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Yes I would agree with that, also I was under the impression the lifetime guarantee would replace the whole rod and not just the damaged tip section as fitting a new tip onto a 6 year old butt section would not be ideal in my opinion.

17. robq

robq Rockling

FUCKING COWBOYS :evil: :evil:

18. woody

woody New Member

anyone want a cheap nitra? :whistle:

19. Baramundi Bob

New rod tip arrived today. Im wondering how I managed to snap 2 rod tips only days apart after 7 years of use. It got me thinking about the cold weather of last year and Im wondering if it somehow effected the carbon ?? Is this possible ?

20. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

i don't know about cold weather effecting the carbon but i know the hot weather does affect them