1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Nights And Two Snapped Greys Rods - You Couldnt Make It Up

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Finally decided to make a start to my winter season, and what a start it was, for all the wrong reasons.

Yesterday teatime I opted for Runswick. After a 20 minute walk I got to my mark and the conditions were near perfect, with perhaps. A nice northerly swell and absolutely thick with colour.

First cast and it wasn't long before I got the tell tale tap of a cod. As I struck into it there was a loud crack. My rod, a greys Nitra snapped about halfway up the tip section. What a bummer - Night over.

A bit more detail on this particular mark - The early season fishing at this mark can be prolific if you have the right bait and the right knowledge. What happens here, especially with mops, is you get the tinyiest of taps and then your lead moves right by about 20-50 yards. If your lucky it will tap again and this is when you hit it. Nine out of ten times the fish is on but going by the bites you would never know it. And this is where a lot of anglers loose out, they wait the 20 minutes of a cast and pull in to find a fish laid on. Yes you've got your fish but you've lost 15 minutes where you could have been back in the water and got another 2 fish out. You have to make the most of your time at places like this as the fish are only in front of you for a limited period.

Anyway, thats another story of what could have been, because after my first cast I had to walk all the way back to the car and then drive home.

Tonight, out came rod number 2, another Greys Nitra. What happened next you couldn't make it up. This time I opted for Saltwick for a chance of a few fish.

First cast, fish on, a mop of around a pound and a half. Second cast nothing, then I had a short move. Third cast I got a good bite and as I hit it another loud bang. The rod snapped in almost the identical place to the one I snapped last night. What a twat.

So thats 2 nights fishing ending early. Two cod and two snapped Greys Nitra's. Both are going back tomorrow.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, I did carry my camera but just couldnt get enthusiastic after snapping the rods.

Here is an update on my dealings with Greys Customer service.

Monday 10th October

Waited 25 minutes on the phone to greys. Left on Hold and never got through to anyone. Ended up having to hang up as I was going to be late to work. So sent the following email.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

unbelievable Glenn thats some serious bad luck!

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Maybe just simply worn out if u know what I mean. Or your a rough ....

4. Baramundi Bob

It is isnt it. Can anyone local lend me a rock rod untill I get these sorted? I promise not to snap it.

5. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I have a conoflex nemesis diablo, bit of a beast but will get you through

6. robq

robq Rockling

Unlucky Glenn :whatever: :whatever:

Its probably not what you want to hear, but he greys Nitra was one of the rods that ruined greys previously good Mk 1 reputation along with the PZ 300 ( which was a MK 1 ) and a lesser extent the apollo MK 2

I knew a lad who snapped 2 nitras midway along the tip section, he was not a big chucker and had not damaged the rods either :whatever:

The greys design of a fast taper and thin blank walls is not a great recipe for tough long lasting rods !! narrower tapers with thicker walls ( I.e zziplex and AFAW ) are much tougher rods that take knocks a lot better

7. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Ian, If I cant get something off one of the whitby lads Ill call over. Much appreciated.

8. Baramundi Bob

May look at an AFAW in the longer term.

9. woody

woody New Member

u couldnt wright it glenn unlucky mate got me asking questions on mine now ..... mind u its 4 yrs old would it have gone by now ?

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

That really is shocking bad luck Glenn, feel for ya bud :sad:

11. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

That is unbelieveable Glenn, to do it once is a bummer, to do it twice in 2 nights is shocking luck. If youve not got owt sortd by Wednesday drop us a PM as i've got a couple of Penn Afinity's in the garage.

12. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thats Shat that grey's rods have never been the same quality since they moved the building of them from alnick

13. GJW

GJW Rockling

That is bad luck Glenn. Heard bad reports about them Nitra's it would certainly put me off getting another, no matter how good the after sale service is. They maybe able to replace the rod but cannot replace the good nights fishing that could of been..

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Bloody hell Glen, have you killed a black cat or what,
    thats some bad luck ,
    if you need a loan of a rod give me a shout i have a couple of spare,s

Oh and thanks for the info on the mark i fished on sunday,
    plenty of rockling but thats all, lost a small mop first cast,

think it was down to the bait , Dan and Damo had the same prob
    but enjoyed beeing out ,

15. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

people are saying bad luck,well i think its nothing to do with luck

its bad build quality.
    i pole fish and the match lads rave when a new pole comes out and have to have it at x hundred quid, the next thing is crack ,a section gone and snapped.
    the easiest way to make a rod lighter is thinner walls but have they left it too weak.seems in the case of the greys rods they have and after reading this i for one wouldnt waste my money on a greys rod.

frank.

16. mike33

mike33 New Member

Time to get that long rod out Glenn you won!!!................I've got an Apollo you can borrow give you a ring later..............Mike

17. LERCH

LERCH Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's just bad luck Glen. I snaped my nitra up scotland a couple of years ago i fished all night then then next day first cast bang snaped in two place's midway n tip end,good job i had a spare.

Russell

18. Baramundi Bob

Both mine were from 2005

19. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Just sold my Apollo yesterday Glen but I have a zziplex tz 500 you can borrow bud or I have that veals channel special I bought of perry that he got of you years ago bud

20. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

I.ve got a Greys Nitra you can borrow Glenn. lol.
    Cheers Col.