1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trot On Charters Weekend Of Dreams (With Pics)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by fazbats, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Sorry for not posting as regular as could be but I have had very little time since crewing aboard Trot On and Work commitments but here goes.

Saturday saw us trying few wrecks waiting for the breeze to die down so we could steam off to the 18 mile mark. As soon as we were able we were off to Dolly's chosen mark arriving about 11:30 we dropped down and EVERY rod was bent into fish all around the 4lb-7lb mark this continued for nearly every drop from 11:30 to 2pm when we had to make a start back The cod were taking every shad that went down and some before it hit the bottom. (I hope these pics turn out OK)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunday saw us joined by Neil Bryant, Manger of the England boat fishing team who had booked the boat for some of his clients.
    Dolly had us out to the 18 mile mark straight away and as you can see from the sounder the wreck was alive
    with fish
    [​IMG]
    From the first drop EVERY rod was into fish EVERY drop the cod were annihilating the shads as soon as they were hitting the bottom. The lads and lass managed to fill 3 boxes in 90 mins then they decided to put back anymore fish as they had sufficient for the freezer we threw back loads more than we kept and all the fish were around the 4lb-7lb mark. Neil was demonstrating his new range of telescopic long rod that he designed, While never a lover of telescopic rods I have to admit I was VERY surprised and VERY impressed by the rods he had. You would not believe the action on them which lets the rod do all the work and you get a great feel with them. Whether long telescopic rods are the future or not I don't know but I do like them. One of the lad even brought an Ice fishing rod that proved is was well up for anything there was a prize for the largest fish caught on the little 4ft rod so everyone was having a go with it which proved to be a laugh a minute

Dave with the Ice rod
    [​IMG]

The rods first fish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neil having a turn with it

[​IMG]

Neil and Ian
    [​IMG]

Graham with the winner of 8lb caught on the little rod
    [​IMG]

When the boys stopped fishing for lunch Dolly and I decided to get in on the act and have a laugh with the rod. I had initially planned on trying for a pollack on it but was unable to get above the cod quick enough as by this time the fish were hitting the shad on the drop. So after a few drops with the jelly I put a hokki rig on and the rod was a laugh a minute

Your truly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A triple shot on the little rod with Hokki's
    [​IMG]

Dolly trying the long rod

[​IMG]

Now the little one

[​IMG]

Some more shots of the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lorraine with a nice Pollack

[​IMG]

Nice looking cod for Paul

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading and I will try harder to post more

2. ivan

ivan Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Brilliant report. Please keep them coming, it's good to see the fishing is still fantastic when this lousy weather allows the boats out,I am looking forward to the festival, let's hope the wrecks throw some big fish out.

3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

What a great couple of days for u and the boat perry. Well done dolly

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great report matey. Nice to see. That green rod looks a lot of fun.

5. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

It was Glen! A laugh a minute. I didn't think it would handle a decent fish but it coped very well with the triple shot of cod. Although I found the reel hard work due to my dodgy wrist. Although a little big for it I'm going to try a 535 or a Slosh on it ( I might even nick Perry's little Saltist for it) as I think I would be better off with a reel with a decent handle on it but overall great fun. The long telescopic rods Neil had were VERY surprising I have had fresh water feeder rods that were heavier on the tip than these were but they handled the fish better than my 12/20 waveblaster does.
    I would have thought the little Ice rod would be ideal for the Kayak lads too

6. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

:D excellent report .. thanks for posting. excellent pictures as well. Was everything on shads or did anyone try bait , squid , fish?
    Can't wait for the festival. ;)

7. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Carl good to see some charter action and updates to show what's going on up there I don't have FB so difficult to keep in touch, looks like it was banging some great photos and there is a rod my size :)

Booked to go out on Saturday hope the weather plays ball but more importantly the fish are still playing. I know that you said that the fish were whipping the shads but just in case was there any maccy about ?

8. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Neil tried bait but the fish were after shads that must have been the only drop where no fish were caught

Plenty macky about Mick, Even taking shads LOL I just wonder how the water will be when we have had this blow over the next few days especially with the size of tides we are having. Fingers crossed the weather will settle a bit but looking at the forecast's it's not great

9. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I suppose, this looks like the charters won't be going anywhere this weekend Carl ?

Attached Files:

10. craigrob

craigrob Blenny

Not good reading that mick, i'm booked on sunday but it ain't looking good. :-[

11. rupert

rupert Blenny

Great report there thanks.

What's the advantage of the long rods? Be interested to know the thinking behind them.

I've used my uptider from the boat when tope fishing, but much prefer to play a good fish on a shorter boat rod. I find extra leverage generated by the long uptide rod works against me rather than for me. For small fish, it doesn't make much difference, so maybe these long telescopics are made for smaller fish and using bait - hence the flexi tip action?

12. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Not looking good at all mate!
    After the wind has gone WindGURU is still forecasting 2m+ of swell till about Tuesday I was hoping for flat calm days with the sun beating down and nothing but double figure fish. ;) ;) (I guess we can all dream!)

The rods that Neil was using had interchangeable tips to use the bottom section has a grommet so you can reduce the length while playing the fish OR for landing it.

This is an extract from Neil's web site

The ultimate in lightweight telescopic rods suitable for boat and shore fishing.

This rod was designed by Neil Bryant, England International and two time World Boat Champion Team Member in conjunction with the designers of Artico and hand made in Italy to produce one of the finest, lightweight rods specifically designed for boat and kayak fishing, whilst also being more than suitable for shore angling. There are two models in the range and they are both extremely slim blanks with bags of power. There is a grommet fixed to the second section of the rod that allows you to fish at longer/shorter rod lengths depending on the circumstances of the fight.There are two tips with each rod, a medium and a strong that can handle weight from 100-200grams.

Material: Carbon Composites Unidirectional Differentiate

Telepower 360: fishing lengths 2.90mtr – 3.40mtrs

Neil claims they have had conger to 27lb on the long rod so they must work OK with the bigger fish but I quite agree with you Rupert,
    I too prefer a shorter rod (Just not as short as the little green ice rod ;D ;D)